Pattaya: Rebranded "24 hour Walking Street" opens its arms to Thais - and one way traffic!

rooster59

4 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

Street food is the draw?

But there will traffic and parking in the street.  The side walks are very small. so where will these proposed venders set up shop?  With no gogo or bars open for westerners there will be no lights/signs so just as well open in the daylight.

Truly amazing Thailand.....

Streetwalking ladyboys! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, pepi2005 said:

Why is it that in Thailand, government officials seem to always announce ideas that are exactly the opposite of what one would think makes rational sense?

It's just the mentality!

Don't forget to inform the local constabulary that parking is now allowed, and while you're at it, maybe also direct them to lay-off the parking enforcement everywhere else in town as well to encourage locals and visitors to park anywhere they want...get out and enjoy themselves...and spend baht!

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

I went there last night, it was like a ghost town, quite scary. Would make a good set for an apocolyse movie. Won't be going back anytime soon, especially to get run over.

The entire town is pretty spooky at the moment...at night it gets especially creepy being more or less completely deserted and with 60-70 of businesses closed down for the duration or out of business completely. I'd never thought I'd say this but driving from one end of Beach Road to the other in under a minute at 8 p.m. is spooky indeed. With so few people about, and so many out of work and presumably getting more desperate every week, I'm a bit leary of walking the darkened deserted streets much at night. I never felt that about anywhere in Thailand before.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The entire town is pretty spooky at the moment...at night it gets especially creepy being more or less completely deserted and with 60-70 of businesses closed down for the duration or out of business completely. I'd never thought I'd say this but driving from one end of Beach Road to the other in under a minute at 8 p.m. is spooky indeed. With so few people about, and so many out of work and presumably getting more desperate every week, I'm a bit leary of walking the darkened deserted streets much at night. I never felt that about anywhere in Thailand before.

I walked it a few weeks ago...didn't feel that dangerous. But it wasn't too late, about 10PM.

There are at least two agogos open there. And quite a few bars and restaurants. Insomnia is open on the ground floor with drinks and music. Guests are long time expats. Not many but still a few dozen.

Edited by Eddy Ozark
Spelling.

Walking Street never appealed to me. I could not stand different music coming from three or 4 bars at once.....it disturbed my psyche. I don't eat street food so I won't miss it. Note to police: motorcycles don't obey one way rules anywhere in the nation.

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Manager reported that Walking Street was opening its arms to Thais. Following a well received trial period the street would be open all day, not just the previous 7 pm to 4 am. 

So walking street will become a Thai drive through... I hope the businesses have the local hospital on speed dial !

35 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

posted on barrow:

what a surprise one big long snake of beeping taxis with bikes weaving in and out of them

once again giant almighty clusterfūck 

0022603B-4FC7-4AE8-9F9B-CD2AC97792BD.jpeg

They achieved their goal.  It makes Walking Street look full and busy.  ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pepi2005 said:

On course of destroying the last few spots this city had that made it special.

Almost all GREEN already removed from the formerly called 'green hill' Pratumnak, red-light of the former RED-LIGHT city reduced to a few 'designated areas' to 'save face of Thai people', the formerly 'city that never sleeps' has been put to sleep from 3am even when there was no talk of 'Covid', now fun center 'Walking Street' gets turned into boring 'One-way driving Soi'.

What else can they come up with to destroy the last interesting tourism spots?

How about forcing retired people put $25K in a Thai bank just to live there while spending $30K a year from retirement income?  Then, the banks don't want to give it back if you decide to leave.  Keeps me from moving back.

19 minutes ago, Joebuzz said:

How about forcing retired people put $25K in a Thai bank just to live there while spending $30K a year from retirement income?  Then, the banks don't want to give it back if you decide to leave.  Keeps me from moving back.

what are you on about, if the funds come from abroad they can be sent back straight away