No plans to open Thai skies yet: Aviation authority

webfact

18 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Bali is apparently open for tourists from 11 September so let's hope it works to give confidence for Thailand to open up.

...at least let us condo owners in ????

Indonesia has not controlled the virus, and at the stage it is now, they will be unable to surpress it. So like Europe they are keeping the numbers small enough and controlled not to over burden the health care system. In this scenario allowing in a controlled number of tourists will make little difference. 

I doubt very much there would be massive numbers holidaying in Bali. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, warcy said:

There's a reason why USA has the worst case in the world, they don't like being told what to do.

The US can be obnoxious at times but so can many other nations ...,,

not sure where your from or if your too young to know or understand history. If it wasn't for the US in WW2 many countries would be eating sushi every night & speaking Japanese.

'World War II, also called Second World War, conflict that involved virtually every part of the world during the years 1939–45. The principal belligerents were the Axis powers—Germany, Italy, and Japan—and the Allies—France, Great Britain, the United States, the Soviet Union, and, to a lesser extent, China.'

6 hours ago, Yinn said:

Thailand is open economy. No lockdown now. 

Everything open now. 

Because we control covid already. No infection 78 day already. 

Only not open to foreigners not want quarantine. If they bring covid again must close again. 

Sensible. Not loons.

Where is the money coming from?

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Currently over 1,000 deaths per day. This indicates they know how to treat it? You must be joking.

Alternate realities are strange and wondrous things...

Ably enhanced and abetted by having such "realities" created and sustained by the social media of their choice,the result of which is a dumbed down and credulous population which endlessly repeats the simplistic memes that they view or read on Yoo-Toob or looney conspiracy sites.

The West cannot claim any intellectual superiority over the East in this regard-in fact,far from it.

Back on topic-I doubt very much that Thailand,Singapore,Malaysia,China or Australia (to name just a few countries) will be loosening up their travel restrictions in 2020 and would be mighty surprised if they did.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anton9 said:

Thailand has covid, there have been imported cases from Thailand in other countries lately.

New Zealand has a population of less than 5millions, Thailand 70 millions so the testing rate/population is much higher.

Stay home?Lol you must be kidding me, the virus is not going away anytime soon and most countries are realizing we just have to live with it.

+1 Sweden anybody !!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Alternate realities are strange and wondrous things...

Ably enhanced and abetted by having such "realities" created and sustained by the social media of their choice,the result of which is a dumbed down and credulous population which endlessly repeats the simplistic memes that they view or read on Yoo-Toob or looney conspiracy sites.

The West cannot claim any intellectual superiority over the East in this regard-in fact,far from it.

Back on topic-I doubt very much that Thailand,Singapore,Malaysia,China or Australia (to name just a few countries) will be loosening up their travel restrictions in 2020 and would be mighty surprised if they did.

image.png.7fb1edfea6b42383742a42d4ceafbb69.png

And you go on about social media stuff.

The 1,000 daily deaths re reported on numerous mainstream media agencies.

But seems you want to disrespect those who are dying and the mainstream respected media because you don't like the numbers / the numbers don't suit your aims.

How sad you are.  

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

The US can be obnoxious at times but so can many other nations ...,,

not sure where your from or if your too young to know or understand history. If it wasn't for the US in WW2 many countries would be eating sushi every night & speaking Japanese.

'World War II, also called Second World War, conflict that involved virtually every part of the world during the years 1939–45. The principal belligerents were the Axis powers—Germany, Italy, and Japan—and the Allies—France, Great Britain, the United States, the Soviet Union, and, to a lesser extent, China.'

They were a bit late to the party though (Dec 1941), and only joined in after Japan attacked them at Pearl Harbour. 

Let's not rewrite history to paint them as altruistic World saviours. They only joined in when forced to do so and brought their own brand of obnoxious racial segregation, against their own fighting black countrymen no less, with them. 

Back on topic - well done to the Thai CAAT for remaining strong for us that are here and do not want foreigners coming in and forcing further economic disruption. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

How sad you are.

It appears that you did not understand my response..

Try this..

"You must be joking.."
"Alternate realities are strange and wondrous things.." which was referring to the post you were responding to.

Sorry..sarcasm alert was switched off.

Edited by Odysseus123

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But what's never been explained here, AFAIK, is why the Thai government hasn't moved to more substantially expand the current ASQ program (especially with all the current hotels sitting empty or closed, likely begging for business), and thus allow anyone who wants to come in to do so, provided they CV test before traveling and then do the 14-day quarantine here....

Supposedly, there's large backlogs of various folks in various categories looking and willing to come back into Thailand under those conditions. But the government for some reason seems to be doling out ASQ permissions with an eyedropper... Why, when expanding that program, properly run, would help a lot of Thai employees and the economy in general, and shouldn't harm public health in any significant way?

Follow the money...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You don't think when a person wearing a mask sneezes germs don't escape?

99% are not air tight and the germs go all over

Only takes 1 germ

So better wear no mask and sneeze at each other, uncontrolled, right!?

I am gonna go back on the useless car crash analogy: let's all have a bottle of booze, get into our cars, **** the seatbelt and let's all drive at each other at 180 km/h!

By the way: a mask is not supposed to be air-tight!

If it were, all the anti- maskers would be right, with their whining about being deprived of oxygen!

12 hours ago, Yinn said:

All countrys most the people not tested.

thailand do 750,000 test already.

More than most countries. More than New Zealand. 

If have lot of positive will test more.

Every test the last 78 days is negative. 

Which country? 

You test yet?

Why not?

Test not help if you have covid already. Better wear mask, stay home, not get it.

Good luck

Wow!

Your posts get more delusional, every day!

We get it!

Thailand #! 

• Thanks 2

On 8/12/2020 at 11:08 AM, Pattaya Spotter said:

I assume the outbound flights are the repatriation flights returning to their country/city starting points.

Yes, and they're virtually empty and you can buy seats on those flights with little fear of it getting totally canceled. When they reschedule a flight to fit a Thai repatriation scenario, you can get bumped to the rescheduled flight. A mate of mine has been bumped from a flight to Aussie twice because there's a cap on how many pax can arrive in SYD each day. That's an Australian Covid-19 restriction and not a Thai one.

On 8/12/2020 at 11:08 AM, Pattaya Spotter said:

I note that Philippine Airlines has only 2 flights from Bangkok to Manila for the whole month of August...their pre-Covid schedule was 2 PER DAY.

PR plan to revert to twice weekly BKK-MNL from September. There is a pandemic on you know.

On 8/12/2020 at 10:15 AM, Anton9 said:

There's a reason if USA is one of the world superpowers and Thailand is Thailand.

The U.S. wouldn't be, and won't be, if it keeps heading down the current path of division, anti-government, anti-science, anti-medicine, alternate facts, my personal rights take precedence over the rights/benefits to society, etc etc....  It's a very evil and destructive cancer that's growing in the U.S.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Yinn said:

Yes.

Me and the doctor and scientist. 

You a antimasker? Watch YouTube?

The problem is that many western scientists and studies, from a few years ago on the flu and even some done now, have said that it doesn't help. The people on the other side are also following scientists. We are not talking about conspiracy theorists, but professionals-researchers and epidemiologists. I believe that masks help and really require like 80% compliance to hit the right mark for society, but there are legitimate studies that doubt the efficacy of masks. The anti-maskers are actually following science as well, but there needs to be more conclusive studies done.

14 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Put into perspective 330,000,000 people and do the math.

Not opening the economy, such as what Thailand is doing, will have adverse effects

I see the math, that doesn't mean that we should just ignore it. Hundreds of thousands dying in a blip or with long term damage because people don't want to do any preventive matters is also very bad for society

Of course, not opening the economy will have bad effects. There needs to be a balanced approach that takes into account both public health and the economy. Did you not read that I said that the economic fallout is a disaster? Is a disaster an adverse effect? Please read my full post.

• Like 2

On 8/12/2020 at 7:16 AM, nong38 said:

Anyone remember the HN51 outbreak and being quarantined ?

I'm guessing what you mean to be talking about is the H5N1 virus, bird flu, that hit parts of Asia in the late 2000s....

And according to the WHO -- 

As of May 2020, the WHO reported a total of 861 confirmed human cases which resulted in the deaths of 445 people since 2003.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_A_virus_subtype_H5N1

That's the bird flu... This is the coronavirus (per Johns Hopkins Aug 12 update):

The WHO COVID-19 Situation Report for August 11 reports 19.72 million cases (253,409 new) and 728,013 deaths (5,719 new). We expect the global cumulative incidence to surpass 20 million cases in today’s or tomorrow’s update. The global mortality remains on track to surpass 750,000 deaths by this weekend.

Not quite the same ballgame, hardly comparable -- at least until/unless the H5N1 virus mutates into a new form that's more easily spread into/among humans...  And should that occur, we would be in deep sh**....

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Well it only takes 1 germ to take over a government and destroy the country, and unfortunately its become a common occurrence worldwide.  I have made several flights lately in Thailand.  Masks are worn, but no social distancing is done anymore on the airplanes, even when they are less than half full.  Flew to Phuket and Back on Bangkok Air and there were 12 of us on the down flight and 20 on the return flight.  Hotel we stayed at had no more than a dozen other folks there, and it felt like we had the whole resort to ourselves which was great.  The resort checked your temp on arrival, and that was it, many of the folks running around were not wearing masks as they moved around the resort except the employees, thankfully it was not busy.  Flew to Chiang Mai from Bangkok and back as well, flight with very few again, and the resort almost empty.  People on the street and in some of the stores we went to were not wearing masks at all, and you could see, even though not many around, that people were living life like it was normal and there was no Covid. 

Because there is no Covid according to offical figures, I don't expect people keep social distancing and wearing masks forever since even your own government is telling you there's no Covid.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

The problem is that many western scientists and studies, from a few years ago on the flu and even some done now, have said that it doesn't help. The people on the other side are also following scientists. We are not talking about conspiracy theorists, but professionals-researchers and epidemiologists. I believe that masks help and really require like 80% compliance to hit the right mark for society, but there are legitimate studies that doubt the efficacy of masks. The anti-maskers are actually following science as well, but there needs to be more conclusive studies done.

From Johns Hopkins Aug 10 CV update:

MASK EFFICACY Researchers from Duke University (US) evaluated various types of face masks to compare their ability to filter respiratory droplets. ... The study, published in Science: Advances, evaluated 14 types of mask construction, including a fit-tested (non-valved) N95 respirator, a valved N95 respirator, a surgical mask, a bandana, a neck gaiter, and various examples of cloth masks using different designs and materials. Individuals wore the masks and spoke aloud into the test chamber. 

The majority of the masks tested reduced the number of expelled droplets by more than 60%, and 10 of the masks reduced droplets by approximately 80% or more. Not surprisingly, the most effective options were the fitted N95 respirator and surgical mask, which contained nearly all of the droplets. Also not surprisingly, the fitted, non-valved N95 respirator was “far superior” to the valved respirator, as the valve allows exhaled air to pass through unfiltered. The mask constructed of knit material (ie, as opposed to woven) was only 65% effective, and the bandana was only 35-40% effective.

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/COVID-19-Updates---August-10--2020.html

14 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You don't think when a person wearing a mask sneezes germs don't escape?

99% are not air tight and the germs go all over

Only takes 1 germ

I believe this is where you may be wrong...what I have read is that there is a "dose response" factor when it comes to catching respiratory virus diseases, including this Covid-19 corona virus. The higher the density of virus particles one is exposed to, and the length of time of the exposure, is determinitive for if one will become infected with a serious case of the disease. The wearing of masks is one factor in reducing the "viral load" expectorated from breathing, talking, and coughing/sneezing if someone is infected. Just as temperature taking everywhere in public has been shown in studies to be not very effective in stopping the spread of the virus, it, along with mask wearing, are important cues and visual reminders to everyone that we are in extraordinary times and to keep up their social distancing and other protective behaviors, like avoid spending unnecessary time in crowded public places and practicing good personal hygiene. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For some reason, a lot of folks here seem to paint these issues as EITHER OR....

EITHER we reopen the economy full blast (and the people saying this typically mean with few if any public health precautions), which would encourage the virus and its impacts to grow and spread.

OR we have to shut and lock everything down, along with public health precautions, in order to prevent the virus from spreading and protect people's health.

But it's NOT an either-or situation and that presents false choices. You CAN reopen the economy and have people working IF you combine that with sensible public health measures that the public/citizens actually follow and are enforced by the government.

Precisely. This seems painfully obvious to me . In the words of Groucho Marx, "This is so obvious a child could see. Could someone please bring me a child?"

Edited by vermin on arrival

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For some reason, a lot of folks here seem to paint these issues as EITHER OR....

EITHER we reopen the economy full blast (and the people saying this typically mean with few if any public health precautions), which would encourage the virus and its impacts to grow and spread.

OR we have to shut and lock everything down, along with public health precautions, in order to prevent the virus from spreading and protect people's health.

But it's NOT an either-or situation and that presents false choices. You CAN reopen the economy and have people working IF you combine that with sensible public health measures that the public/citizens actually follow and are enforced by the government.

Thailand's problem, more than most countries, is a relatively large part of its economy is related to tourism and foreign tourists (who would be coming from more heavily virus impacted areas). Thus the shutdown of regular international flights and all the fallout from that.

But what's never been explained here, AFAIK, is why the Thai government hasn't moved to more substantially expand the current ASQ program (especially with all the current hotels sitting empty or closed, likely begging for business), and thus allow anyone who wants to come in to do so, provided they CV test before traveling and then do the 14-day quarantine here....

Supposedly, there's large backlogs of various folks in various categories looking and willing to come back into Thailand under those conditions. But the government for some reason seems to be doling out ASQ permissions with an eyedropper... Why, when expanding that program, properly run, would help a lot of Thai employees and the economy in general, and shouldn't harm public health in any significant way?

Maybe there is only so much government capacity to monitor those in both quarantine schemes, therefore the limits on those allowed in? And I have to think that with the quarantine in effect, I doubt there are really that many who want to come to Thailand at this time; the main group being the non-immigrant visa holders and Elite Visa members who were caught out when the borders closed. I personally know 3 people in the former category. Once those in these groups who wanted to return did so, I doubt there would be much further demand for flights or quarantine hotel rooms.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

On 8/12/2020 at 10:18 AM, steven100 said:

COVID19 has caused an absolute world disaster. It has exasperated the suffering of the poor.

It has expedited the suffering of the lower class and middle class income earners.

It has cost millions upon millions of jobs worldwide.

It has or will cause families to lose homes, cars and other worldly possessions.

As confirmed, this disaster was initiated & instigated by China as such they are responsible for all of the above.

The actions of the generals is delivering a financial blow to Thailand which it will never recover from. The generals have shown that they have zero business acuman

• Like 2