No plans to open Thai skies yet: Aviation authority

webfact

2 minutes ago, ashkale said:

Getting tired of this fear mongering. NZ was shut for months and still got new cases of whatever sickness this is. Its a matter of time before economic woes push people out on the streets.

They are already out there.

The intelligent Thais are aware that their country is heading into the abyss. The uneducated one's aren't

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Well it only takes 1 germ to take over a government and destroy the country, and unfortunately its become a common occurrence worldwide.  I have made several flights lately in Thailand.  Masks are worn, but no social distancing is done anymore on the airplanes, even when they are less than half full.  Flew to Phuket and Back on Bangkok Air and there were 12 of us on the down flight and 20 on the return flight.  Hotel we stayed at had no more than a dozen other folks there, and it felt like we had the whole resort to ourselves which was great.  The resort checked your temp on arrival, and that was it, many of the folks running around were not wearing masks as they moved around the resort except the employees, thankfully it was not busy.  Flew to Chiang Mai from Bangkok and back as well, flight with very few again, and the resort almost empty.  People on the street and in some of the stores we went to were not wearing masks at all, and you could see, even though not many around, that people were living life like it was normal and there was no Covid. 

They believe the government propaganda and if it is true that the asymptomatic (as opposed to presymptomatic)  "cases", which are probably what is the reservoir here are as non-infectious as many believe(some say they are actually immune), then they are actually not crazy to do so. While many would disagree, I would say to keep the preventive measures and reopen to external travel with tests on both sides and quarantine.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Aussie Col said:

It's a pity that those in government here don't pay more attention to road deaths, which even according to the Thai authorities are among the worse if not the worse in the world.

Why are the Thai authorities paying no attention what so ever about the amount of roads in Thailand year after year.?

As I have posted before, the vast majority of these road deaths are young boys/men speeding around on motorcycles, and other drivers (often hopped-up on alcohol/drugs), getting into accidents. While all deaths are tragic, especially if there are bystanders who are injured/killed, such deaths have little to no affect on society and the economy as a whole that a fast spreading and potentially deadly respiratory virus can have. Therefore the differentiated government response to them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

As I have posted before, the vast majority of these road deaths are young boys/men speeding around on motorcycles, and other drivers (often hopped-up on alcohol/drugs), getting into accidents. While all deaths are tragic, especially if there are bystanders who are injured/killed, such deaths have little to no affect on society and the economy as a whole that a fast spreading and potentially deadly respiratory virus can have. Therefore the differentiated government response to them.

Actually the deaths of young people are more important to society from an economic standpoint since they have many more years left to contribute to society in income earned and tax dollars contributed. Sadly, from a cold and calculating standpoint (and not a moral, compassionate, empathic one), the older you get, the less important your life becomes to society. The 60+ with comorbidites are actually more of a drain on society and are the "weak trees" that society might like to see cleared out. Please don't infer that I want them dead or cleared out. I am giving kind of a Social Darwinian perspective and not a moral one or the one I believe.

Edited by vermin on arrival
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Aussie Col said:

The actions of the generals is delivering a financial blow to Thailand which it will never recover from. The generals have shown that they have zero business acuman

I don't think business acumen is the most important quality in a government leader most are looking for right now...and the Thai business and financial elites are very invested in whatever government happens to be in power at the moment, and you can be assured that they would never allow it to take any economic steps for which the country could never recover.

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

As I stated previously the overly cautious approach, combined with extreme cowardice on the part of the administration, amounts to sadism. They are inflicting untold pain on the masses and on Thai families with foreign partners. Millions are out of work. 

The process should be simplified. Anyone, from any nation should be welcome starting tomorrow. If they are willing to support the economy by paying for quarantine, there is no risk, and only upside. 

This appears to be extreme timidity on the part of the small and weak men in charge. And it is grossly unfair to the people in tourism. 

Also, Thailand is taking alot for granted. They are assuming they will even be remembered once all the delays are over. That is alot to assume these days. Gone, and maybe forgotten?

I predict tourism will never return to it's previous levels, in our lifetime here. Caution and prudence are one thing. Inane stupidity and paralyzing fear is another. 

•  

Millions, even tens of millions in many countries, are unemployed...it comes with a worldwide health pandemic. There is not much that lower income countries can do about it at the moment. As for tourism not recovering, seeing that Bangkok is perennially at or near the top for most visited cities in the world, i doubt people will loose the brain muscle memory for visiting Thailand anytime soon. In fact, once this is all over in a year or two, there could be an unprecedented boom in travel to Thailand (and elsewhere).

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, and they're virtually empty and you can buy seats on those flights with little fear of it getting totally canceled. When they reschedule a flight to fit a Thai repatriation scenario, you can get bumped to the rescheduled flight. A mate of mine has been bumped from a flight to Aussie twice because there's a cap on how many pax can arrive in SYD each day. That's an Australian Covid-19 restriction and not a Thai one.

PR plan to revert to twice weekly BKK-MNL from September. There is a pandemic on you know.

I was just noting PALs truncated schedule and how crazy things are at the moment...and if you think PAL is returning to their previous flight schedule in September (or anytime this year) I've got a bridge in Bangkok I can sell you. I've had a Thai resident friend who's been stuck there since February and has had 3 of his return flights on PAL cancelled. He's now given up returning to Thailand this year (where he has a condo) and will return to the US next month ato wait things out.

On 8/12/2020 at 5:53 AM, Somtamnication said:

Disaster, complete disaster. There are only so many Thais who have the funds to staycation, no matter what deduction schemes this govt comes up with.

so what - better than counting a 1000 dead a day and the air filled with the smoke of burning bodies. The financial implications are being faced by every nation on earth, many have that issue as well as having their hospitals full of people choking to death on their own phlegm. Keep it shutdown Thailand, the pox carriers don't give a **** about your people or your country... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Oh dear, somehow I doubt Thailand will have 1000s dead per dead, the demographics and the spread out population apart from one big city would it keep down low. The Thai government needs to do more to help it's struggling tourist industry and people involved in it.

they would if the borders were opened, that's obvious to most folks. No, they're doing a great job and it will be rough (just like everywhere) but not having pox carrying tourists and expats running around and infecting everyone is well worth it..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I don't think business acumen is the most important quality in a government leader most are looking for right now...and the Thai business and financial elites are very invested in whatever government happens to be in power at the moment, and you can be assured that they would never allow it to take any economic steps for which the country could never recover.

It's already going down the route.

It's very doubtful if Thailand will ever recover from the situation it's in now with zero tourists and a overvalued baht.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

The problem is that many western scientists and studies, from a few years ago on the flu and even some done now, have said that it doesn't help. The people on the other side are also following scientists. We are not talking about conspiracy theorists, but professionals-researchers and epidemiologists. I believe that masks help and really require like 80% compliance to hit the right mark for society, but there are legitimate studies that doubt the efficacy of masks. The anti-maskers are actually following science as well, but there needs to be more conclusive studies done.

Do you actually believe the nonsense you are spouting? Really not much hope for the human race.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Aussie Col said:

It's very doubtful if Thailand will ever recover from the situation it's in now with zero tourists and a overvalued baht.

Without any tourists then the economy goes back to where it was 20 to 30 years ago. If they are looking at re-opening in Q1 or Q2 2021, I wonder how many bars, restaurants, shops and hotels in tourist resort destinations will survive. Bangkok around the lower sukhumvit is looking dead and the hotels were at 10% or less occupancy when I left at the end of March.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Aussie Col said:

countries have to  take the nasty medicine like the UK or face a situation like mexico

1 hour ago, tribalfusion001 said:

and 1000s didn't die

Not that you know of or anyone else does.  What happens in the villages stays in the villages, and no amount of those who have been saying "Well if this was happening it would be all over social media", and "Show me a hospital where the beds are full", would truly understand.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not that you know of or anyone else does.  What happens in the villages stays in the villages, and no amount of those who have been saying "Well if this was happening it would be all over social media", and "Show me a hospital where the beds are full", would truly understand.  

That is true, but this virus spreads in multiple occupancy homes, care homes and slums. All the countries with high death rates either have lots of slums, multiple occupancy homes and care homes, plus lots of obese people and people multiple underlying conditions.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

plus lots of obese people and people multiple underlying conditions.

And those living in Thailand do not have an obesity problem or multiple underlying conditions like diabetes and heart disease?  I think you must be needing to make the rounds in some of the provinces to see how bad peoples health really is here in this country.  Obesity and diabetes has blossomed with the fast food industry and of course the excessive eating of sticky rice.  My ex mother in law, her sisters, and parents all have medical issues.  Add in gum disease from a lack of periodontal visits, the chewing of the bettlenut mix giving them red teeth and to take away the pain, well enough said.

But then we are way off topic here.  Unless the Thai Government decides to take a chance and open up the borders to all with reasons to be here, like family and jobs, then only then will they be able to see if there untesting of the Thai public creates what Vietnam is seeing now.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

The BP and Thaiger are reporting today no international flights until the covid-19 situation has improved in the world, so that could be quite a long time, oh dear!

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/flights-into-thailand-its-an-indefinite-ban

So the article says a limit overall of 500 people per day incoming... and of course, Thais I presume have top priority for those spots over any foreigners wanting to return under the current rules.  

I wonder how many non Thais are actually making it onto the repatriation flights day in and day out?

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The proces should be simplified. Anyone, from any nation should be welcome starting tomorrow. If they are willing to support the economy by paying for quarantine, there is no risk, and only upside. 

•  

They are keeping the numbers low so they can monitor these quarantines. Increase them too much and you can lose that ability to monitor. I wouldn't trust any Thai officials to keep a track of what is going on, and making sure new arrivals are sticking to the quarantine. 

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So the article says a limit overall of 500 people per day incoming... and of course, Thais I presume have top priority for those spots over any foreigners wanting to return under the current rules.  

I wonder how many non Thais are actually making it onto the repatriation flights day in and day out?

Just down in Songkhla and I have met several foreigners working offshore that have been allowed in for work.