Richard Barrow may not have his visa renewed and could be forced to leave Thailand

webfact

32 minutes ago, SteveK said:

The worst thing about it is that what he does could end up annoying the government who will inevitably tar us all with the same brush. I wish he'd just kept quiet about it, I have no issue donating £2.50 to go into a temple, even if there is no charge for locals, it's peanuts.

They already tar us with the same brush, if you have not already noticed.

Stuff like the dial pricing, while it is indeed peanuts in monetary terms to most of us, just reinforces that 'us and them' mentality when we should be moving towards unity and understanding between the expat community and the locals. 

We (expats) feel we belong here, the constant reminders like dual pricing and different treatment indicate that we still have some way to go to convince locals of the same.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The Vietnam War hastened the modernisation and Westernisation of Thai society. The American presence and the exposure to Western culture that came with it had an effect on almost every aspect of Thai life. Before the late 1960s, full access to Western culture was limited to a highly educated elite in society, but the Vietnam War brought the outside world face to face with large segments of the Thai society as never before. With US dollars pumping up the economy, the service, transportation, and construction industries grew phenomenally.

I'm sure I've read that somewhere before ???? 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, kimcancer said:

Next is UBON JOE!

Oh my Buddha ,  you can't be serious .

Joe,  please dont go .

TV.  keyboard warriors are behind you,  all the way .

Bon voyage .. 555

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

The simple formula is... If one wants to clean up a government, stay home and do it. If not, just smile at the Sh** that splatters on your face - of course, there is NO guarantee it wont happen at home

????

Edited by ravip
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, ravip said:

The simple formula is... If one wants to clean up a government, stay home and do it. If not, just smile at the Sh** that splatters on your face - of course, the is NO guarantee it wont happen at home

????

If their in uniform , just smile and Wai .

The more gongs, the higher the wai .

Proud to be British .?

Those were the day's my friend , we thought they'd never end ...555

Edited by elliss
spelling

8 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

It was the same story one year ago, but at the time he'd just gone head to head with the (still incumbent) immigration chief over TM30 reform. He's worked at the same school for 26 years and made many extensions previously without incident. 

That is not true, He said he goes home every year to get a new visa, not get an extension. However, last year he had to extend and had issues, then due to COVID this year he again has to extend his visa. 

LOL the way some of you are going on it's as if Angel Barrow is Ghandi on a mission to rid injustice in Thailand. 

He's only raised topics of dual pricing, and the odd police man asking for handouts. All of which are valid points that most of us have raised. I would hardly call these issues massive acts of treachery. 

The question however is his work seems very fishy. From a teacher who is always travelling, to now a IT developer. I smell some horse manure in this. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, scoupeo said:

Barrow is an idiot whining liar and I appreciate to know that I am not the only one knowing the truth about him !

unfortunately his visa will be renewed but let's hope that it's the last time !

Truth about him? LOL do share

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, scoupeo said:

Barrow is an idiot whining liar and I appreciate to know that I am not the only one knowing the truth about him !

unfortunately his visa will be renewed but let's hope that it's the last time !

Do tell us the details and we'll judge by ourselves

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ericthai said:

That is not true, He said he goes home every year to get a new visa, not get an extension. However, last year he had to extend and had issues, then due to COVID this year he again has to extend his visa. 

Surely his school gives him a visa?

1 hour ago, ericthai said:

This is what he said:

"In normal years, I would leave the country and come back with a tourist visa and start again. With the borders closed, my only option is to fly back to the UK. As I won’t have a Non-B visa, I cannot come back for months. Unfortunately, the family home in the UK is being sold.”

I don't interpret this as meaning it's what he usually does, rather it's what he would have done this year in the event of being denied an extension and assuming borders were still open as normal. It would make no sense with continuous employment to ditch his Non B/ WP and start from scratch every year.

Further, his tweet from a year ago suggests he routinely applies for extensions ("I've never had it like this before").

IMG_20200815_233510.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

He's on another holiday. 

Those poor students left looking at a blackboard again. 

Richard works in the IT department for a school. Presumably he negotiated a contract to do all of his work in 3 or 4 days a week so he can spend the rest of his time travelling. Good on him. Are you jealous?

7 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Gotta agree, that was pretty reckless. 

He posted the photo of that official more than 7 years ago. You'd think if there was going to be some comeback over that it would have happened well before now.

Edited by mstevens

Don't know much about this guy but there are far worse Brits in Thailand.

e-beggers who exploit Thai women for their own gain and who have very little respect for Thai people,Thai culture and Thailand.

I won't mention who as my comment will probably be deleted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, mstevens said:

He posted the photo of that official more than 7 years ago. You'd think if there was going to be some comeback over that it would have happened well before now.

Sure, but it doesn't make it any less reckless. Obviously that episode is done and dusted now, but reasons for the current trouble could certainly be immigration related... ongoing resentment over last year's TM30 fallout, shaming them over covid-19 overcrowding in spring, leaking of amnesty plans ("Who is he? He is not the immigration bureau...")

It could also be about business - upsetting influential newspaper magnates, regional mayors, dual pricing profiteers.

Or again it could be political, with coverage of the student protests. recent disappearance of activists etc. There's really quite a long line of influential people who might have become upset with him in recent times.

• Thanks 1