How much notice was given to prior amnesties ?

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

"interpreting the rules 'on the fly' not hindered by logic and adherence to existing rules/regulations."

Indeed there's the rub, inconsistency.

For the very old. sick and frail the constant uncertainty is unfair.

I doubt it will change as the "flexibility" opens the door to the brown enevelope.

I am sure many here on retirement visas in less cooperative offices would sooner pay more for a centralized service.

Of course we have to recall that good "earning" jobs come with favours and expectations all the way to the top trough.It is hard to imagne the practice or mindset switching to Finland or Singapore where a public servant would fear losing their future by any hint of corruption and be a social pariah and lowly night watchman.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for conforming that both stances by the Petchabun IO are completely wrong.

>> Could you please post a copy of that Memorandum from the head of Immigration?

Those on a ME Non Imm O marriage Visa now wanting to regularize their stay in Thailand by applying for the 1-year extension of stay, will be confronted with this faulty practice of requiring 12 months transfers when for a FIRST application only 2 months are required, and that Memo will be helpful as the PoliceOrder regulating it is rather cryptic on the issue.

The memorandum was only for last year that was the first year that proof of income by way of transfers were allowed. That was to help those that were using proof of income from their embassy before and of course most had not been doing the the transfers.

There was no need for one allowing 2 months for the first extension since it is in the amendment to the police order.

14 hours ago, khunyod said:

Absolutely. Chiang Mai immigration refuses 2 months only the first year. If I had the document to show them, it *might* help (who knows?).

The same answer I was given and yet other offices agree to the 2 months first year rule.

I was particularly aggrieved by this rejection since I had already made the 2 transfers of 40,000 into my Bangkok Bank account and thought I would be good to go. Now I have to get the full 400,000 and if it were not for the bank of mum I would have to default on bonds I have in the UK which not only would loose my premium but take time.

I am still pondering whether to leave in June or go for the 1 year extension. A friend back in the UK who works for the NHS is saying they are gearing up for a lot more covid cases this winter so returning then looks grim.

24 minutes ago, trucking said:

The same answer I was given and yet other offices agree to the 2 months first year rule.

I was particularly aggrieved by this rejection since I had already made the 2 transfers of 40,000 into my Bangkok Bank account and thought I would be good to go. Now I have to get the full 400,000 and if it were not for the bank of mum I would have to default on bonds I have in the UK which not only would loose my premium but take time.

I am still pondering whether to leave in June or go for the 1 year extension. A friend back in the UK who works for the NHS is saying they are gearing up for a lot more covid cases this winter so returning then looks grim.

Did you consider using an Agent?

Fee for a 1-year extension of stay based on marriage (with a 'fix' for the 400K) is 25K.

PM me if you need the agent co-ordinates (who uses his Khon Kaen Divisional HQ contact to get your application approved).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Did you consider using an Agent?

Fee for a 1-year extension of stay based on marriage (with a 'fix' for the 400K) is 25K.

PM me if you need the agent co-ordinates (who uses his Khon Kaen Divisional HQ contact to get your application approved).

Not really. Did not see any hanging around outside and I wasn't nudged in that direction by the two guys inside , who as I said , were very pleasant and polite if not that up to date.

As it happens , the 400,000 will be in my UK bank today and as soon as I see it there I will use TransferWise to get it moved into my Bangkok Bank. Thanks to mum , not a big hassle.

As a matter of interest , if you don't mind my asking , where is your own immigration office and how are they handling current extensions ? The more info we get the bigger the picture. As Khunyod posted (P33)

Chiang Mai are also not allowing the 2 month first year option. Just how widespread is this ? Are there any reports of anyone successfully doing this recently and where ? Be useful to know.

Have to say I will really miss doing 90 day border hops. The wife and I enjoyed our little working trips and always took 3-4 days on them, no mad rushing. Pleasant breaks to look forward to and hassle free.

• Like 1

One agent suggested 25k to switch over to a retirement extension (apparently the bank requirements can be waived due to io-agent relationship), and that a marriage extension might be possible but seems to be more complicated and would cost 30k. Not sure if it was just an upsell or not. Any cheaper agents in CM?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trucking said:

Not really. Did not see any hanging around outside and I wasn't nudged in that direction by the two guys inside , who as I said , were very pleasant and polite if not that up to date.

As it happens , the 400,000 will be in my UK bank today and as soon as I see it there I will use TransferWise to get it moved into my Bangkok Bank. Thanks to mum , not a big hassle.

As a matter of interest , if you don't mind my asking , where is your own immigration office and how are they handling current extensions ? The more info we get the bigger the picture. As Khunyod posted (P33)

Chiang Mai are also not allowing the 2 month first year option. Just how widespread is this ? Are there any reports of anyone successfully doing this recently and where ? Be useful to know.

Have to say I will really miss doing 90 day border hops. The wife and I enjoyed our little working trips and always took 3-4 days on them, no mad rushing. Pleasant breaks to look forward to and hassle free.

OK, if you can do it fully legit by transferring the +400K to your personal thai bank-account (a joint account with your wife is not accepted), then by all means go that way.

FYI > I am actually a Newbie on the Forum and am only living since 2,5 years in Thailand more specifically in SiSaKet province.  Presently on a Non Imm O-A Visa of which the permission to stay only expires end of January 2021. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, khunyod said:

One agent suggested 25k to switch over to a retirement extension (apparently the bank requirements can be waived due to io-agent relationship), and that a marriage extension might be possible but seems to be more complicated and would cost 30k. Not sure if it was just an upsell or not. Any cheaper agents in CM?

Actually a retirement extension with the 800K 'fix' is the more interesting option of the two (but obviously you can only get it if you are +50 years of age).

It is also cheaper as it does not involve divisional headquarter approval nor does it have the 3-4 weeks under consideration period during which Immigration can come announced/unannounced to check whether you and your wife are indeed living at the place you indicated that you are staying.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

FYI > I am actually a Newbie on the Forum and am only living since 2,5 years in Thailand more specifically in SiSaKet province.  Presently on a Non Imm O-A Visa of which the permission to stay only expires end of January 2021. 

Well...... a lot of good input from you which is much appreciated and with your current visa you won't have to bothering immigration for a long time yet.

I have always had my own account and wife has hers. Keeps things simple.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

That is false info and could be considered as defamation.

They are going through a local office and the person approving the application is doing it without seeing verified proof of the money in the bank (original bank book for example) that is sent to division headquarters for approval.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is false info and could be considered as defamation.

They are going through a local office and the person approving the application is doing it without seeing verified proof of the money in the bank (original bank book for example) that is sent to division headquarters for approval.

OK, should have worded that differently. But 25K for a 1-year extension of stay based on marriage with a 'fix' for the 400K has been confirmed by someone using that agents services successfully for his 1-year marriage extension of stay application filed at CM. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

OK, should have worded that differently. But 25K for a 1-year extension of stay based on marriage with a 'fix' for the 400K has been confirmed by someone using that agents services successfully for his 1-year marriage extension of stay application filed at CM. 

They could of even put the 400k baht into the bank for 2 months.

Same fix done all the time. The officer that accepts the application does it without verifying the proof of the money in the bank.

1 hour ago, trucking said:

You can still take some 4-day trips every 3 months if you enjoy that. Find some new places around Thailand...there are plenty that you likely have not been to yet. ????

9 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

Does the state of emergency being extended affect the visa situation in any way!

Nope, just gives them more powers incase there is another outbreak and keeps the universal requirements in place like bar closing times, mask requirement etc..

• Like 1