Soi Dog Foundation is looking for flight volunteers

webfact

2 minutes ago, hansgruber said:

Here you are pontificating to everyone, again. Can't help yourself. 

Soi dog foundation is a failure. Year after year it's lost money, begged for donations and not made a single dent into the feral animals. Kata beach still has wild packs roaming it. 

Educating the locals is a better way to spend ones time. 

Volunteering at Soi dog is mostly a hobby for bored expat wives pushed to volunteer their time whilst the husband plays 'golf' and gets a soapy. (Ladyboys optional) We all know the deal. 

Everyone feels good and goes home feeling fulfilled. Another day in paradise. 

Its funny you should say that, last year I regularly saw one well known local expat down at Soi Paradise whenever his Soi Dog volunteer wife was out 'rescuing' Soi Dogs, he is quite the party animal and popular amongst the boys.

On 8/19/2020 at 6:45 AM, sebastion said:

I agree with Hans, I cant stand the horrid things. And some people have just made a business out of sympathy for these disease ridden mutts.

Ship them off to Vietnam or China and turn them into soup

Not often I agree with you Sebastion, but you are spot on with this post!!

• Thanks 1

I am a dog lover but I have to agree with Hans, sending them to another continent is not helping the soi dogs. We need less dogs living in the streets, and a spay/neuter program to make sure to keep the numbers down.   

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, balo said:

I am a dog lover but I have to agree with Hans, sending them to another continent is not helping the soi dogs. We need less dogs living in the streets, and a spay/neuter program to make sure to keep the numbers down.   

In Australia in the 80s they had a bounty for cane toads, 10cents each. You know what happened? The kids all started breeding them to make more pocket money.

If you start charging people to adopt dogs, guess whats going to happen? People will start breeding them for profit.

You cant tell me that if I donate a bag of dogfood to Soi Dog and a bit of cash, that someone isnt skimming some of that money.

Its a business, people benefit from it

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hansgruber said:

Here you are pontificating to everyone, again. Can't help yourself. 

Soi dog foundation is a failure. Year after year it's lost money, begged for donations and not made a single dent into the feral animals. Kata beach still has wild packs roaming it. 

Educating the locals is a better way to spend ones time. 

Volunteering at Soi dog is mostly a hobby for bored expat wives pushed to volunteer their time whilst the husband plays 'golf' and gets a soapy. (Ladyboys optional) We all know the deal. 

Everyone feels good and goes home feeling fulfilled. Another day in paradise.

Why are you lying? You call it pontificating when people are held accountable when they spread false information. 

Show us where the organization has "lost" money. It is a non profit, so it spends money in the community. Because it is not a for profit organization,   it spends the money it receives on its activities. You  do not  have any understanding of the financial structure of a charity do you, otherwise you would  use such a term. Because it is a charity it relies on donations. How else do you think a charity raises much of its funding? You call it begging. I call it a request to  assist, and is no different than any other reputable charity.

How do you know whether it has been successful or not? You do not, but instead post your ignorant, malicious comment. The fact is that the results speak for themselves. Hundreds of thousands of unwanted litters were prevented through the spay and neuter programs. Tens of thousands of animals were provided with emergency medical care and tens of thousands of children were given examples of compassion and responsible behavior. The foreign adoptions are a small portion of its activities. The 200+ animals adopted out address overloads at the shelter and  respond to visitors requests. Often kind and decent people visit Thailand and encounter an animal they fall in love with and want to adopt. Soi dog helps.

You  describe the organization as a "failure" and yet  it  is one of the more transparent charities in Thailand. It is recognized by the government  as one of the pillars of public health policy  and is the go to organization when there are rabies outbreaks. Soidog spends a large part of its  budget on  spay,/neuter release programs which are considered the most effective method of dog/cat population control and it  spends a large part of the budget on education and outreach.

You show yourself up to be an ignorant misogynist bully when you  describe "Volunteering at Soi dog is mostly a hobby for bored expat wives pushed to volunteer their time whilst the husband plays 'golf' and gets a soapy. (Ladyboys optional) We all know the deal. "

You disparage respectable and decent  people and it is quote obvious that you are ignorant of who volunteers at soidog. It seems that you are projecting your  activities with prostitutes and  transvestites on  these people.  It must come as a surprise that the vast majority of foreigners outside of your demographic do not use the services of prostitutes or have "soapys". I have never had a "soapy", nor have any of my colleagues.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Caldera said:

@geriatrickid I did mention in my later post #19 that I donated to the Soi Dog Foundation in the past and that I'm supportive of their efforts to neuter strays and to educate locals about responsible pet ownership.

But this overseas pet adoption business is nuts! In my opinion (and I respect yours), that discredits the foundation. I'm all for treating animals well, but flying a Thai dog halfway round the world to an adopted home in a Western country is way over the top.

Caldera

agree with your first paragraph

20 years ago the dogs were a real problem in Patong and  I was very skeptical when I heard of Soi Dog Foundation.

After the Tsunami things in Patong gradually improved and now I do not see a problem when I last walked on the beach in February. You do not see the scabby, crippled , savage dogs around and it is due to Soi Dog in the main.

If I was marketing for Soi Dog, the foreign adoption scheme would be ideal. A picture of a cuddly pet with sad eyes, that jerked on every animal lovers heart strings getting publicity because it seems outlandish in the West, would get coverage and donations from the people who can't get a dog but would like to help.

I think Phuket Soi Dog does a great job and anyone who had been a regular in Patong in the 1990's would probably agree.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Why are you lying? You call it pontificating when people are held accountable when they spread false information. 

Show us where the organization has "lost" money. It is a non profit, so it spends money in the community. Because it is not a for profit organization,   it spends the money it receives on its activities. You  do not  have any understanding of the financial structure of a charity do you, otherwise you would  use such a term. Because it is a charity it relies on donations. How else do you think a charity raises much of its funding? You call it begging. I call it a request to  assist, and is no different than any other reputable charity.

How do you know whether it has been successful or not? You do not, but instead post your ignorant, malicious comment. The fact is that the results speak for themselves. Hundreds of thousands of unwanted litters were prevented through the spay and neuter programs. Tens of thousands of animals were provided with emergency medical care and tens of thousands of children were given examples of compassion and responsible behavior. The foreign adoptions are a small portion of its activities. The 200+ animals adopted out address overloads at the shelter and  respond to visitors requests. Often kind and decent people visit Thailand and encounter an animal they fall in love with and want to adopt. Soi dog helps.

You  describe the organization as a "failure" and yet  it  is one of the more transparent charities in Thailand. It is recognized by the government  as one of the pillars of public health policy  and is the go to organization when there are rabies outbreaks. Soidog spends a large part of its  budget on  spay,/neuter release programs which are considered the most effective method of dog/cat population control and it  spends a large part of the budget on education and outreach.

You show yourself up to be an ignorant misogynist bully when you  describe "Volunteering at Soi dog is mostly a hobby for bored expat wives pushed to volunteer their time whilst the husband plays 'golf' and gets a soapy. (Ladyboys optional) We all know the deal. "

You disparage respectable and decent  people and it is quote obvious that you are ignorant of who volunteers at soidog. It seems that you are projecting your  activities with prostitutes and  transvestites on  these people.  It must come as a surprise that the vast majority of foreigners outside of your demographic do not use the services of prostitutes or have "soapys". I have never had a "soapy", nor have any of my colleagues.

Huge budgets, huge waste of money. baiting these feral animals would be a whole lot cheaper and more effective.

As I said before Soi Dog is a business, people make money off it. Simple

• Like 1

7 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

I'm sorry you took offence to my post and wrote a novel in reply. 

I must have struck a nerve for you to take a good portion of your day concocting that word salad. 

It's an old joke for those who play golf in Phuket. 

Golf was code for get away from the western wives and go in the soapies for some local girls.

Nobody likes golf, it's the extra curricular activities that had guys trying to get away from the expat wives all the time.

The running joke on the course was get the whiney bored wife to volunteer at Soi dogs and you can then get a local honey pot and masquerade it with your love of golf. 

Hotel GM's, business people of Phuket a like. It's the Thai way and I think it's good to assimilate. 

I suggest you take up golf. 

18 minutes ago, sebastion said:

Huge budgets, huge waste of money. baiting these feral animals would be a whole lot cheaper and more effective.

As I said before Soi Dog is a business, people make money off it. Simple

I remember when Soi dog was founded it had nothing, no land or assets. 

Today it owns the land, vans etc yet it's begging for help all the time. 

Sounds a bit like religion or even a cult. 

• Like 2

On 8/19/2020 at 11:33 PM, scoupeo said:

and why are you talking about what you know nothing ?

of course they send dogs that they are sure will pass all health tests ! not everybody is as smart as you...

So now you are saying/Know that I know Nothing . Let me tell you that they were talking about Soi Dogs Those Flea bitten Tick infested Mange riddled worm infested  they Aren't going to Clear a Health test . 

But than of course Money talks, Dog Sh!t walks. 

Thanks anyway Know All .You told me something I didn't know about myself. ????????

15 hours ago, digger70 said:

So now you are saying/Know that I know Nothing . Let me tell you that they were talking about Soi Dogs Those Flea bitten Tick infested Mange riddled worm infested  they Aren't going to Clear a Health test . 

Thanks anyway Know All .You told me something I didn't know about myself. ????????

You're wrong.

On 8/19/2020 at 11:31 AM, Bender Rodriguez said:

some even adopt babies that still have living parents, to look good in the media

Well, the news from a couple months ago: a family in the US adopted in China a chinese mentally handicapped kid to boost revenues of their Christian-"white-saviour"-good family YouTube channel, and after 2 years they dumped him in a fostering house in the US.

Back to the topic, most commenting here know absolutely nothing about SoiDogs Foundation. Nothing new though. It's not even worth answering I think...Latins said " pearls to pigs "

Edited by Sundown

Drop in the ocean, more stray dogs are born all the time than these do gooders can export. The activities of these soi dog charities are the animal equivalent of re arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, they deal with a few thousand when the problem is an expanding population of millions of dirty, diseased pests.

Edited by Orton Rd

On 8/20/2020 at 3:50 PM, balo said:

Impossible target, Soi Dog is a business not really interested in solving the problem, they need the dogs so they can keep on pretending to be an effective solution, they are just playing at being one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Impossible target, Soi Dog is a business not really interested in solving the problem, they need the dogs so they can keep on pretending to be an effective solution, they are just playing at being one.

Exactly, they cant endeavour on a baiting program, because if the problem is gone. So is Soi Dog

• Like 2

On 8/22/2020 at 3:55 PM, digger70 said:

4 hours ago, digger70 said:

Of course , you think you know.

Looking at the dogs that get adopted abroad via Soi Dog, when you say 'they aren't going to clear a health test' you're wrong.

• Thanks 1