Can I acquire a yellow book while out of thailand

You have to appear at the Ampur in person and often also bring in Thais to vouch for you in person.

You may also be required tio get a translation of your passport into Thai from the MFA, though this part varies with the Ampur and some accept non-government translation services.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThaiFelix said:

I wouldnt bother as in my experience no-one wants it ie Immigration, traffic office etc.

Well clearly you have no experience regarding yellow books.

Immigration have asked to see mine, bank have asked to see it, local hospital the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Immigration have asked to see mine, bank have asked to see it, local hospital the same.

Interested why immigration asked to see it?

I know we don't go to the same office, but they've shown no interest when I've mentioned it.

11 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

I wouldnt bother as in my experience no-one wants it ie Immigration, traffic office etc.

While I waited mt turn at the DLT in Chatuchak , I watched an Italian guy become quite agitated after being told his yellow book was not a satisfactory proof of residence anymore and he needed a Cert of Residence from Immigration.......yeah...the yellow book is losing its sheen. I tried to get one in Bang Yai, Nonthaburi and the lady told us in no uncertain terms...pretty much forget about it...some Amphurs just do not want to think of foreigners as residents in any official sense

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Once again, just the DLT person's opinion. My Yellow Book has never been turned down.

Sadly, often it's down to the official of the government department you deal with as to whether they accept it or not.

Sometimes it's because they have no understanding of any slightly out of the order documents and are scared to admit it, therefore refusing to accept it. They seem to work on the principle of saying no to a ferang is easier than having having to check with someone else about it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Sadly, often it's down to the official of the government department you deal with as to whether they accept it or not.

Sometimes it's because they have no understanding of any slightly out of the order documents and are scared to admit it, therefore refusing to accept it. They seem to work on the principle of saying no to a ferang is easier than having having to check with someone else about it.

and the point being that with all the trouble in some Amphurs to get it....translated copies of this and that, local witnesses, etc etc....it's simply not worth it for the few times it could be used, and you never know before you pull it out whether you've wasted a trip or not. Simply not worth the effort

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was issued the yellow book just yesterday and have been given a queue # and date ( next month ) to return to the Amphur for a pink I.D. card. Am I understanding correctly that once a person has the pink book that a person no longer needs Certificates of Residence to purchase cars bikes etc? Another question I have is should a person who has the book go the extra distance and have usufruct? What happens if the wife dies can one remain in the house indefinitely?

1 minute ago, cnxgary said:

I was issued the yellow book just yesterday and have been given a queue # and date ( next month ) to return to the Amphur for a pink I.D. card. Am I understanding correctly that once a person has the pink book that a person no longer needs Certificates of Residence to purchase cars bikes etc? Another question I have is should a person who has the book go the extra distance and have usufruct? What happens if the wife dies can one remain in the house indefinitely?

yes, just use the yellow book.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I will try to answer the OP's question and not talk about how good or bad having a yellow book is.

From my personal experience where I live you could not get the book from outside the country. From comments over time others will say the same about their Amphur. 

I would venture a guess and say the answer in most places will be "NO". But the only way to know for sure is go to the local Amphur where you live and ask the officials

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

Tosh, you don't need a yellow book for any of those things Clearly another Mr Thailand who likes to boast about having a yellow book/pink ID card. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Mine took 30 minutes and cost 20 baht..money well spent, over the years has saved me over 5,000 Baht in residency letters, copying and photos, not to mention the amount of time saved going to immigration offices...at least an extra day in my life spent doing other things. As for OP, most likely will have to be present.

• Like 2

I made a post two hours ago that has disappeared off the face of TVF.

It had an image of a T-shirt, with the text  "I see there's a T-shirt available for such occasions:"

Am I caught in the Bermuda Triangle of TVF?

Edited by bluesofa
misprit
  • Haha 1

The yellow book is supposed to show foreigners living at the specific house. Registering a person in it who is not living there, because this person is currently living outside of Thailand, would take it ad absurdum. So imho this should not be possible.

2 hours ago, cnxgary said:

Am I understanding correctly that once a person has the pink book that a person no longer needs Certificates of Residence to purchase cars bikes etc?

Depends on your DLT. In most cases yes, but there are a few DLTs which won't accept the yellow book.

2 hours ago, cnxgary said:

Another question I have is should a person who has the book go the extra distance and have usufruct? What happens if the wife dies can one remain in the house indefinitely?

I don't see what the yellow book has to do with an usufruct, but if your wife dies you will have one year to transfer the land in a Thai name, because foreigners can't own land.

8 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Had mine for years, never been able to use it. Brought it with me to Immigration, DL office etc. None of them accepted it as proof of address.

As post #25 above mentions... when informing the forum that ‘None of them accepted it as proof of address’ [Immigration, DL Office etc] you’ll need to be more specific.

First hand info: In Bangkok the DLT does accept the Yellow Tabien Baan (house book) and / or Pink ID card as proof of address when applying for or renewing a Thai Driving Licence. 

I have read on this forum that in Pattaya the DLT does not.

I also used my Pink ID card for a Hotel Check-in and carry it around instead of my passport (just incase of ID checks).

Can the Yellow Tabien Baan (house book) be acquired while out of the country - very doubtful. It would take an extremely flexible Amphur office to allow this, and I’ve never seen flexible amphur officer !!! 

For my Yellow Tabien Baan (house book) I requried and appointment (wait time of about a month) and also a witness who was not my wife (My MIL came alone). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phutoie2 said:

Yes sure you did, plus a padded brown envelope.

3 hours ago, phutoie2 said:

Tosh, you don't need a yellow book for any of those things Clearly another Mr Thailand who likes to boast about having a yellow book/pink ID card. 

I was going to reply and highlight where the pink ID is an added convenience over having to carry your passport all the time or go to the Embassy and pay through the nose for affirmation of residence documentation etc....

But really, what’s the point? it's clear you are a trolling tool who’ll never learn anything from the experience of others. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Had mine for years, never been able to use it. Brought it with me to Immigration, DL office etc. None of them accepted it as proof of address.

Had mine for years as well. Used many times including Immigration, DL offices etc. Been good to have!

Got the pink ID as well. Could easily do without it

Edited by fertilizer
Added info ID
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Wind your neck in, nobody said you NEED a yellow book for those things; it was correctly pointed out that a yellow book CAN be used for those things. 

And is far more convenient than the alternatives which require special trips to Immigration or Embassy for a certificate of residence.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1