Minimum hours for a genuine volunteer visa?

Is there a minimum number of hours per week you have to work to get a genuine volunteer visa from a registered charity? Also, can you convert a tourist visa that was covered by the amnesty into a volunteer visa? I'm not talking about the volunteer visas you get with the "help" of an agent.

I have not seen anything in writing about a minimum number of hours.

Itn is possible to apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day nonimmigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration but it requires getting a letter from a government depart to do it. See: https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/09.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

I have never seen a volunteer situation in Thailand that didn’t cost (yes...you pay the organization) an arm and a leg.  They include housing (some only in fan rooms, some in low end ac rooms) and feed you (typical street food).  You’ll usually get one night out on their dime to the walking street or whatever local attraction.   Cost aside....I’d pay for an elite visa (which I don’t feel is a good value) before I’d sign up for any of the volunteer organizations that I have ever come across.  YMMV

I know what you mean but there are actually charities that welcome people who just want to do a few hours a week and certainly don't charge any money.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Itn is possible to apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day nonimmigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration but it requires getting a letter from a government depart to do it. See: https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/09.pdf

Thanks for this. I doubt getting a letter from "the relevant department" is easy. Maybe it would be easier to get the initial visa from an agent but then when you do the 12 month extension, do it directly at immigration with the documents from the charity you're actually volunteering with. Would that be doable?

Edited by edwardandtubs

2 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Thanks for this. I doubt getting a letter from "the relevant department" is easy. Maybe it would be easier to get the initial visa from an agent but then when you do the 12 month extension, do it directly at immigration with the documents from the charity you're actually volunteering with. Would that be doable?

Not sure about the agent. 

Without the letter from a department you would only get 90 day extensions for a total stay of a year and then a new visa is required.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

So your initial question was regarding minimum hours that you need to do.

Then now asking re annual extension for minimal hours volunteering.

7 minutes ago, TLeaf said:

What exactly is the volunteering.  Cleaning a gold temple.  Carry kids ipads for them.

One common one is example Soi dogs organisation Phuket. Near the airport. Plenty young backpackers staying nearby hotels and get picked up each day. Do all cleaning etc. 

Whatever rows your boat.

That's NOT what OP is looking for. 

Edited by DrJack54

4 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I know what you mean but there are actually charities that welcome people who just want to do a few hours a week and certainly don't charge any money.

Never seen one but if it’s anything like teaching (where I wanted to teach part time) I was told that a minimum of 16 hours a week were needed for a visa.  So if the op thinks he’s gonna get a visa coming around for a few hours a week playing with dogs at a shelter or chatting in English with monks then he’s got another thing coming.  Might as well just get a paying job.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2020 at 12:31 PM, ubonjoe said:

Do you know how long it might take to get that letter?

I was approached by a registered foundation and they would like me to teach English ONLINE as a volunteer. My problem is that I have no idea which province/immigration I should submit my eventual application for a visa. We’re located in 2 different provinces. Is this doable at all?

9 minutes ago, bangkokbabe said:

Do you know how long it might take to get that letter?

Not long if the foundation has the contact to get it.

10 minutes ago, bangkokbabe said:

My problem is that I have no idea which province/immigration I should submit my eventual application for a visa. We’re located in 2 different provinces. Is this doable at all?

It would normally be done where you are working at or in the province where the foundation is located.

• Like 1

Is this a real question or a hypothetical question? Paying money for volunteer visa that does not require volunteering.

This sounds similar to paying for a language visa (non ed) that does not require attendance at the school. I think many Language School still offer this option. And it is a real visa/ extension of stay by falsifying attendance reports to the government

7 hours ago, padthaininja said:

I hit up the local Visa agent here in Phuket for a Volunteer visa, they told me I don't have to do any volunteering/no income requirement. 15 month visa for 65,000baht.... guess it's a Covid special but is it legit? ????

It is clearly shady, but your risk is minimal. You will end up with legal stamps audited by senior officials, and immigration will have plenty of juicy targets to go after come September 27.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brianp0803 said:

This sounds similar to paying for a language visa (non ed) that does not require attendance at the school. I think many Language School still offer this option.

Their websites claim they don't! Seemed to be 10h/w minimum in class in the ones I checked a few months back (all in CM).

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not long if the foundation has the contact to get it.

It would normally be done where you are working at or in the province where the foundation is located.

Thanks!

Earlier you wrote” Without the letter from a department you would only get 90 day extensions for a total stay of a year and then a new visa is required.” Does that mean that in theory, one is allowed to apply for a single-entry 90 day Non-O visa inside Thailand - without this letter? And if I don’t get the letter or don’t get it in time, I could still get 90-day extensions for up to 1 year?

I’m on visa amnesty following an ED-visa. Would I be able to apply if I get the papers from the foundation? 

1 hour ago, bangkokbabe said:

Does that mean that in theory, one is allowed to apply for a single-entry 90 day Non-O visa inside Thailand - without this letter?

No

But some agents might be able to get it without the letter or one that is not real.

1 hour ago, bangkokbabe said:

I’m on visa amnesty following an ED-visa. Would I be able to apply if I get the papers from the foundation? 

You are on a "automatic extension" of your stay from a non-ed visa or the extension of it under the amnesty. You cannot a apply for a new visa at immigration. You can only do it if you are on a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

You might be able to apply for an extension based upon  volunteer work with you current "automatic extension".

On 8/23/2020 at 3:02 PM, edwardandtubs said:

Well the visas are genuine so if that's the way you want to do it, no problem.

Can you recommend an agent? I see the owners of Thai Visa Centre, which seemed to be a big one, just got arrested for fake visa stamps.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/08/05/american-thai-wife-arrested-operating-an-illegal-visa-business-in-bangkok-using-fake-stamps/

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bikke said:

I see the owners of Thai Visa Centre, which seemed to be a big one, just got arrested for fake visa stamps.

I think you misread that story, they're still open (last we read). Still, no harm in looking at alternatives. 

Please see ThaiVisa post:

Fake visa docs for expats: Thai Visa Centre manager arrested, US husband nabbed for growing ganja
By webfact, August 5 in Bangkok News

"If you are a customer of Thai Visa Centre you are advised to contact them directly."

2 hours ago, Bikke said:

Can you recommend an agent? I see the owners of Thai Visa Centre, which seemed to be a big one, just got arrested for fake visa stamps.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/08/05/american-thai-wife-arrested-operating-an-illegal-visa-business-in-bangkok-using-fake-stamps/

I think you need to update your sources. ????

5 hours ago, ExpatDraco said:

You voluntarily give your money. Imo that fits the requirements for this type of visa. ???? 

I would be happy to voluntarily pay this fee if it means I no longer have to worry about being stuck in limbo until the Sh*t storm that is covid passes hopefully somewhere in 2021

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is clearly shady, but your risk is minimal. You will end up with legal stamps audited by senior officials, and immigration will have plenty of juicy targets to go after come September 27.

Can you elaborate on "my risk is minimal". They seemed pretty trustworthy and showed me the requirements/documents I needed to bring. Google reviews are preety good as well. I'm just asking if it's legit because online I'm reading you need to show you're actually volunteering but multiple Visa agents tell me you don't have to volunteer... don't want to get into trouble but it's the best offer I've found.

On 8/24/2020 at 4:07 PM, padthaininja said:

I hit up the local Visa agent here in Phuket for a Volunteer visa, they told me I don't have to do any volunteering/no income requirement. 15 month visa for 65,000baht.... guess it's a Covid special but is it legit? ????

That seems like a lot, eg compared to a 1y course + ED visa, which seem to be available for 25k & up (maybe 30k inc 3m renewals)...