Balanced diet with medicine will help ease gout, advises Thai doctor

webfact

Balanced diet with medicine will help ease gout, advises doctor

By THE NATION

800_766f805aaa21fc1.jpg?v=1598340897

Dr Anek Kanoksin, director of the Central Chest Institute of Thailand, said the most effective way of dealing with gout was to not just take the medicine but to also consume a balanced diet.

The doctor said patients should stop eating all kinds of meat when the condition is severe, and instead get their protein from eggs, tofu, milk and other low-fat milk-based products. 

He also suggested that gout patients should stop consuming foods with high purine content, such as animal organs, fish roe and certain vegetables. Gout patients should also avoid sweet beverages, fruits and alcohol, and consume at least eight glasses of water daily, he said. 

Gout is usually found in men over the age of 30 and among menopausal women.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393492

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-25

5 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Exclusive! “Thai Doctor states the obvious” 

It is not obvious and it is incorrect.

I have had gout (high uric acid levels) for over 40 years.

Alopurinol every day, alcohol and meat every day. Balanced/varied diet and no sugar and little salt. I do not eat eggs or tofu.

(I did try the 'natural' solution - no high protein meats and no alcohol - for six months, but that did not help.)

Because of fluid retention, doctor told me to keep my liquid intake to one litre per day (beer only).

Everyone is different. Find out what works for you.

Please note that alopurinol will not help to stop a gout attack. It prevents them. I have not had an attack since I started taking it.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Alopurinol every day, alcohol and meat every day. Balanced/varied diet and no sugar and little salt. I do not eat eggs or tofu.

(I did try the 'natural' solution - no high protein meats and no alcohol - for six months, but that did not help.)

Because of fluid retention, doctor told me to keep my liquid intake to one litre per day (beer only).

Please note that alopurinol will not help to stop a gout attack. It prevents them. I have not had an attack since I started taking it.

I agree with this post, I too was diagnosed in the UK by my GP and since I had a bad attack in Thailand I too was prescribed Allopurinol 300 mgm per day. I was advised to have a suitable diet and given a diet sheet which banned some of my favourite vegetables so I decided to stick my own diet. I have considerably reduced my red meat intake and eat more vegetables than when I was a young man in the 1960's. I continue to drink alcohol but have cut out mixers that contain sugar and salt when cooking vegetables.

Since I started on Allopurinol I have no serious problems with my gout.

It is interesting to note that like the feet in the pic you included I too have a bunion on my right foot.

I used to have awful gout ,i now take two noni capsules a day and my wife makes a paste out of lime and some special garlic  which i take every day as well ,my gout is now very very mild and if i do get it i take a couple of colchacine tablets ,goes very quickly .

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Most of that is nonsense.  The doctor was stating the obvious that as others have said, has been known for many years,  Clearly you have other medical issues and listening to what you eat and drink, I'm not surprised that you still have gout attacks.  

• Like 2

Well, he was from the Central Chest Institute. 10 years ago i had hell Gout for 3 months aged 63. Purines were my downfall. Sausages, processed stuff and found Gravey was the Killer... never took to the Beer Cause seeing that the beers acid, forget its name, kills uric acid anyway.Now 74 and its never come back. Wont touch gout  drugs scared for the Kidneys n Liver long term

• Like 1

I suffered constantly with gout and very severe in both ankles, toes and knees.  I remember one xmas time where I just couldn't move as both feet and ankles had swollen.

It is an extremely painful event lasting hours if not days.

Allopurinol and water .... Cholchocine also.  Not sure why it come and goes but I haven't had severe gout for maybe 5 years now.  There is an orange power drink you can buy to mix with water which controls your Uric acid ... it works well and you can test your level with the urine color strips.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Well, he was from the Central Chest Institute. 10 years ago i had hell Gout for 3 months aged 63. Purines were my downfall. Sausages, processed stuff and found Gravey was the Killer... never took to the Beer Cause seeing that the beers acid, forget its name, kills uric acid anyway.Now 74 and its never come back. Wont touch gout  drugs scared for the Kidneys n Liver long term

I came off Allopurinol 4 years ago and funny old thing, I haven't had a gout attack since.  Odd that. 

2 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

high fructose corn sirup drinks & junk food

Exactly, there are different kinds of carbohydrates and sugars.  Sugar seems to be culprit. We all react differently to sugars: i.e. bread, pasta, fruits, etc.

If you take the trouble to slowly check out how your body react to foods. Like if you eat a lot of veggie and low carbohydrate and see how your energy goes. I did that and I lost weight very fast. It was not good for me because when I lost weight I became underweight.

30 minutes ago, ThaiJohn01 said:

Giving up chicken helped me. I used to get severe gout in my toes and elbow. Stopped eating chicken and was gone within a week.

That is a Valid point. Those who have sufferd for years and just chucked chemicals at the problem need to find the purine food source that causes it. Bangers, Mash, n Onion Gravy was my cause.  

59 minutes ago, ThaiJohn01 said:

Giving up chicken helped me. I used to get severe gout in my toes and elbow. Stopped eating chicken and was gone within a week.

Great first post. 

btw My man boobs disappeared when I stopped eating chicken.

• Haha 2

On 8/25/2020 at 3:14 PM, Kadilo said:

Slow news day?

Exclusive! “Thai Doctor states the obvious” 

Agreed. 
"Doctor Obvious states standard medical protocol to the treatment of gout.  News at 6!!!
Slow, slow day on the press desk.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

yes took allupirinol ,had to stop as it played havoc with my kidneys.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

I suffered constantly with gout and very severe in both ankles, toes and knees.  I remember one xmas time where I just couldn't move as both feet and ankles had swollen.

It is an extremely painful event lasting hours if not days.

Allopurinol and water .... Cholchocine also.  Not sure why it come and goes but I haven't had severe gout for maybe 5 years now.  There is an orange power drink you can buy to mix with water which controls your Uric acid ... it works well and you can test your level with the urine color strips.

There is an orange power drink you can buy to mix with water which controls your Uric acid - what drink is that?

2 hours ago, Boit said:

There is an orange power drink you can buy to mix with water which controls your Uric acid - what drink is that?

sorry Boit, I just googled and tried to find the name .... unsuccessful unfortunately.

Go to the chemist in BKK and they will have it for sure.  It's name is like Uritha or similar in a green cardboard packing. About 250 baht from memory. 

• Sad 1

I had gout in 2012 6 months after coming to Thailand.  Under Samitivej doctor I discovered my sugar in take from eating out had increased 11 fold.  I also found that Thai beers are higher in not great quality yeast.  So my uric acid, trycliseride, LDL were all high.  Quarterly blood test and not eating out except where can say man nam taan, man wan was understood got all down.  Allopurinal until 2019. as my diet is under control.  Lots of veg, no sugars, low carbohydrates, meat makes little difference and I opted to eat more antipasti type meats as well as pork mainly.  Gout is a missing gene that helps us not to absorb Uric acid.  Thailand's restaurants use sugar to an excess, salt and msg and all help gout.  Chang, Singha all high in carbs and yeast.  I now drink San Migel lite which is 3 carbs a opposed 15 to 20 carbs.  I only started last year.  My doctor recommended red wine as alternative 2 glasses a day as antioxidant is good for you and one two pieces 99% chocolate same.  So blood tests were invaluable and this doctor should not generalise treatment and diet, everyone is different reaction to diet depending on their bacteria, build, consumption needs.  There is not such thing as a generic diet or bad things and good things.  Moderation as we were taught is the key.