Thai doctor: Sleep disorder narcolepsy should be added to conditions preventing Thais to drive

webfact

Thai doctor: Sleep disorder narcolepsy should be added to conditions preventing Thais to drive

6pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A prominent Thai doctor at a Bangkok hospital has gone online to warn about the neurological condition known as narcolepsy.

Dr Manoon Leechawengwong of Vichaiyut Hospital thinks that if left untreated this condition can be dangerous both for patients and other road users. 

He thinks it should be added to medical conditions forbidding Thais to drive. A review of the diseases on this list is currently underway, notes Thaivisa. 

Dr Manoon posted about the case of a 19 year old woman who fell asleep behind the wheel and caused a serious accident injuring many people. She had had the condition since early childhood. 

The cause of the condition is unknown but it can be hereditary in some cases. He said that about one in 2,000 people can suffer from it to varying degrees and he himself had treated four cases.

Lifestyle changes and medication may help the condition though there is no cure and sufferers have it for life. Symptoms include brief involuntary sleep episodes and sudden loss of muscle strength. This can be brought on my strong emotions.

Hallucinations can also occur in some cases.

Other countries have regulations about the condition. 

The website of NarcolepsyUK states: Many people with narcolepsy are able to drive. However, narcolepsy is a condition that may affect your ability to drive safely, and you will be permitted to drive only if DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency - the organisation that licenses cars and drivers for driving on public roads in the UK) is satisfied that your condition is controlled well enough that allowing you to drive will not cause an unacceptable risk to you and to other people.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-26

No-one with narcolepsy should be driving.  As I understand it, if you suffer from this condition you can be wide awake and then, without any warning, be fast asleep.  It can be worse than epilepsy in this respect as epileptics usually get some warning that they are about to have a seizure.

My BIL, back in UK, was a narcolepsy sufferer and was completely irresponsible about his condition and would not voluntarily give up driving.  He had many minor accidents because of falling asleep at the wheel but still would not report his condition to the DVLA.  Inevitably, he eventually had a more serious accident, resulting in injuries to third parties.  The DVLA eventually withdrew his licence because his doctor refused to certify him as fit to drive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

He could be on to something here my Mrs can fall asleep in 10 seconds 2 at a push????

And anywhere, at any time, in any position, and regardless of the surrounding noise levels. I know this syndrome quite well. My ex was a chronic sufferer, too. So is the current maid... well,  now that I'm thinking about it, ALL the maids I employed over the years were.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Misterwhisper said:

And anywhere, at any time, in any position, and regardless of the surrounding noise levels. I know this syndrome quite well. My ex was a chronic sufferer, too. So is the current maid... well,  now that I'm thinking about it, ALL the maids I employed over the years were.

You know her then ????

Thai narcolepsy:

have to get up early for work, but never go to sleep on time. There is mostly some alcohol involved so the sleep is half as good. Then there is this heat that makes me wanna sleep.

Combined with mai phen rai and there you have your narcolepsy. 

It's not a disease doctor, it's a culture thing.

Edited by hugocnx