Media and posters show little sympathy for Pattaya’s homeless

webfact

On 8/26/2020 at 2:54 AM, Katipo said:

Poverty and addiction are not just an individual problems, they are problem stemming from the heart of society at large. They thrive on poor education, hopelessness, and inequality. When a society doesn't work to minimise the gaps and holes that exist between those at the top, and those at the bottom, then poverty and addiction rise up like a stench that effects us all, as can be seen from the callous and heartless responses from local Netizens. The minds that give voice to these words, are the same ones that are a major cause of the problem.

And....they're the one's that have food on their table.  They think that  they can't also fall to the bottom.

On 8/26/2020 at 1:45 PM, jacko45k said:

Not that they are a problem eh?

I always feel a bit disturbed when people show compassion to animals over and above their fellow man.....

Animals don't lie, nor do they send out beggars to be exploited such as some ruthless people do. 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Animals don't lie, nor do they send out beggars to be exploited such as some ruthless people do. 

You talk to animals? I have seem plenty of begging animals, dogs do nothing but, in reality! 

I think human nature has a dichotomy to deal with when it comes to the likes of the Thais relevant to this thread (or many other countries to be fair).  Speaking personally, when confronted with a situation such as a mother with a young child outside a 7/11 begging for a few Baht, going through my mind at that point would be a conflict of emotions.  On the one hand my natural and immediate reaction would be to give a few Baht that I won't miss and might help them out.  On the other hand, I've seen and read enough examples of the nefarious lengths that are gone to by some people that are scammers of the worst type.  I've read reports in the past of young children, often from neighbouring countries effectively being kidnapped or willingly "rented out" by their parents, having dreadful things done to them in extreme cases (such as chopping limbs off and breaking bones) with the idea that the resulting deformity will enhance the chances of a donation.

So one has to choose between sympathy and suspicion.  Not all encounters fall into this category - the folks that go round rummaging in bins for plastic, bottles or whatever they can get a few Baht for are clearly not relying on donations, or the supposed mother and child scenario where at a the end of a shift, a second "mother" turns up in a new Toyota and assumes the role of the grief stricken parent.  It's sometimes not easy knowing where to draw the line.

Unfortunately it is a widespread practice.    https://humantraffickingsearch.org/201788forced-begging/

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, phetchy said:

Speaking personally, when confronted with a situation such as a mother with a young child outside a 7/11 begging for a few Baht, going through my mind at that point would be a conflict of emotions. On the one hand my natural and immediate reaction would be to give a few Baht that I won't miss and might help them out.  On the other hand, I've seen and read enough examples of the nefarious lengths that are gone to by some people that are scammers of the worst type. 

Yes - mostly organized begging with borrowed, stolen or rented children. People giving them money support such behavior. And I see them so many times sitting at the same locations and obviously they are allowed to do this. I can't be the only one seeing them... 

On 8/31/2020 at 3:04 PM, phetchy said:

I think human nature has a dichotomy to deal with when it comes to the likes of the Thais relevant to this thread (or many other countries to be fair).  Speaking personally, when confronted with a situation such as a mother with a young child outside a 7/11 begging for a few Baht, going through my mind at that point would be a conflict of emotions.  On the one hand my natural and immediate reaction would be to give a few Baht that I won't miss and might help them out.  On the other hand, I've seen and read enough examples of the nefarious lengths that are gone to by some people that are scammers of the worst type.  I've read reports in the past of young children, often from neighbouring countries effectively being kidnapped or willingly "rented out" by their parents, having dreadful things done to them in extreme cases (such as chopping limbs off and breaking bones) with the idea that the resulting deformity will enhance the chances of a donation.

So one has to choose between sympathy and suspicion.  Not all encounters fall into this category - the folks that go round rummaging in bins for plastic, bottles or whatever they can get a few Baht for are clearly not relying on donations, or the supposed mother and child scenario where at a the end of a shift, a second "mother" turns up in a new Toyota and assumes the role of the grief stricken parent.  It's sometimes not easy knowing where to draw the line.

Unfortunately it is a widespread practice.    https://humantraffickingsearch.org/201788forced-begging/

In many impoverished counties you meet real "moral conflict" for donation  In Thailand, you first must decide if it's a scam, before you even deal with the moral conflict.  

Edited by Leaver

Unfortunately the "problem "  will never go away, in Thailand or any other country where beggars exist. 

Most of them are addicted to drugs and alcohol and need professional help.   A good start is for 7 11 staff  to stop the sale of alcohol to beggars. Give them some coins and they will save it for cheap whiskey.   

• 3 weeks later...