Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

That's pretty impressive dave_boo. I'm assuming your bike was standard too?

Still want to get some performance parts and was thinking about another trip to BKK then thought about the Korat Bike Week which I believe is next month. Anyone been to one of these get togethers and noticed if it's possible to pick up cbr150 parts at them? Would make things a lot easier as it's only 150km from here...

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T Dog and his famous pillion rider missed me when they drove past my new neighborhood this week. We need to meet up so that I can try out his new tires and consider an early retirement for mine, after barely 5,000 km.

I can think of one spill on my original CBR150R that could have been caused by crummy front IRC tire. The Dunlop I finally replaced it with was far better.

PeaceBlondie you know everything! How did you find out my FNU had dinner with Angelina? At any rate, she says come over any time and you can take the bike out (minus the FNU) to do some toe stands on the front Pilot. Bummer is that I picked up a wood screw in the rear tire and flatted so have a plug in it after only a 1000 km. Did you talk to Khun Pipat at Chiang Mai Bike Biker Shop yet? He can usually get the Michilens in day.

But hey Jack get on ya bike and either go to Khon Kaen next weekend or korat later. it's good fun. i got a down pipe you can have for the cbr for 1,000 baht. and a muffler (its very loud)800. personally i would just get the down pipe. i gotta get an adapter so it suits the standard muffler. :o

I hate to ride a bike in the heat with a plug in it. I rode a plugged-tire Seca 400 across Chihuahua State and back into Texas with a FNU on board, and never bothered to tell her about the safety of it. We camped west of the Continental Divide, swam nearly naked in a cold mountain stream....am I off topic? Well, the boyfriend reminds me that those original IRC tires are good for at least 10K km, so I will be looking for replacements after several more months. Will try to manage my way over the opposite side of the metro area soon.

But hey Jack get on ya bike and either go to Khon Kaen next weekend or korat later. it's good fun. i got a down pipe you can have for the cbr for 1,000 baht. and a muffler (its very loud)800. personally i would just get the down pipe. i gotta get an adapter so it suits the standard muffler. :o

Yup - the down-pipe makes a big difference. I got one that didn't need an adaptor - but he did have to make a small 3cm plate to bolt the muffler about 1 cm lower on the frame.

Mine is stainless steel, and cost 2,500. Made a huge difference (coupled with the air-filter and air-box holes)! And not too much noisier...

If someone only does a few mods, I would say pipe, and tires. Different bike then - handles 4x as well, and is clearly quicker. (I like the unlimited CDI, but be careful for sure - if you keep taking it to 15k, well... 'boom'!).

In retrospect, I realize that I haven't done many 'mods' to the bike at all: down-pipe, K&N air filter (with air-box holes), CDI, silicon ignition lead, iradium spark-plug, synthetic oil, NSR coil, 47tooth sprocket (still hits 140k), and aluminium 5-position clutch and brake levers (second hand - 600baht cheap!).

And I always run 95 benzine.

But hey Jack get on ya bike and either go to Khon Kaen next weekend or korat later. it's good fun. i got a down pipe you can have for the cbr for 1,000 baht. and a muffler (its very loud)800. personally i would just get the down pipe. i gotta get an adapter so it suits the standard muffler. :D

Allan. I split my time between Issan and the South. Heading down south again on Monday, bike stays here but back for Korat bike which I'll check out as I know a few guys going there.

Down pipe would be great. I mean great if it's got an adapter :o

Jack

Yup - the down-pipe makes a big difference. I got one that didn't need an adaptor - but he did have to make a small 3cm plate to bolt the muffler about 1 cm lower on the frame.

Mine is stainless steel, and cost 2,500. Made a huge difference (coupled with the air-filter and air-box holes)! And not too much noisier...

If someone only does a few mods, I would say pipe, and tires. Different bike then - handles 4x as well, and is clearly quicker. (I like the unlimited CDI, but be careful for sure - if you keep taking it to 15k, well... 'boom'!).

In retrospect, I realize that I haven't done many 'mods' to the bike at all: down-pipe, K&N air filter (with air-box holes), CDI, silicon ignition lead, iradium spark-plug, synthetic oil, NSR coil, 47tooth sprocket (still hits 140k), and aluminium 5-position clutch and brake levers (second hand - 600baht cheap!).

And I always run 95 benzine.

wjmark, you happy with the 47 sprocket? I had a chance to try out the top end of my 38 sprocket coming back from Pattaya Bike week Friday night. My speedo isn't working but i was following a mate on his Harley. Of course he'd blast away off the lights but then would sit on 80mph (130kmh) and i would catch up. I never got into top gear! I'd say the 38 is a little long for my use, i might go back to the 44. Alan, i weigh 75kgs, so have a little less, ummmmm, balast than you; you got hold of Bard's Ninjette yet?

I agree with wj, do the simple changes like Michellins, header pipe, plug, leads and air filter. The original header weighs a ton and the stainless steel one is nice and shiny! My header drones a little, but i like the sound. I wouldn't want a cdi without a rev limiter. I've changed the carby on mine, but wouldn't recommend it unless you get a good carby and have someone to set it up right. I was running 91 fuel before, but with the bigger carby it seems happier on 95.

I bought one of those LED gear change indicators, nicely made and Tong seems a nice guy. The instructions are in Thai but the photos are good, so shouldn't be a hard install. The sensor bolts onto the gearbox, replacing a cover already there. Just waiting to get a new speedo and will get my mechanic to fit everything. Anyone fitted one yet?

wjmark, you happy with the 47 sprocket? I had a chance to try out the top end of my 38 sprocket coming back from Pattaya Bike week Friday night. My speedo isn't working but i was following a mate on his Harley. Of course he'd blast away off the lights but then would sit on 80mph (130kmh) and i would catch up. I never got into top gear! I'd say the 38 is a little long for my use, i might go back to the 44. Alan, i weigh 75kgs, so have a little less, ummmmm, balast than you; you got hold of Bard's Ninjette yet?

I agree with wj, do the simple changes like Michellins, header pipe, plug, leads and air filter. The original header weighs a ton and the stainless steel one is nice and shiny! My header drones a little, but i like the sound. I wouldn't want a cdi without a rev limiter. I've changed the carby on mine, but wouldn't recommend it unless you get a good carby and have someone to set it up right. I was running 91 fuel before, but with the bigger carby it seems happier on 95.

I bought one of those LED gear change indicators, nicely made and Tong seems a nice guy. The instructions are in Thai but the photos are good, so shouldn't be a hard install. The sensor bolts onto the gearbox, replacing a cover already there. Just waiting to get a new speedo and will get my mechanic to fit everything. Anyone fitted one yet?

The 47 seems fine. I get the torque coming on at slightly lower speeds, and that adds pep for sure. But I still hit 140 easily - and 6th gear is now pretty hot. Before, 6th gear gave me 120km at 9,000rpm. Now it is 9,600rpm...

I didn't do anything to the carb, btw. In fact, it still has the stock jet. The only problem I have with my bike is there is a dead spot from about 6,000 to 6,800rpm - especially in a higher gear under load. Other than that, it still lights up really nicely at 7,000, and pulls (pulls like a schoolboy, as they say in NZ) right up to 13,000.

ALSO, there seems to be a resurgence in 95 around CM. The Shell on Huay Keow (just past Central) is carrying 95 benzine again. And someone saw it at another Shell around town. So I don't have to go to Arcade bus station or Hang Dong to fill up. And I truly believe that 95 makes a noticeable difference from 91.

Let us know how well that LED works - and how easily it installs. Sounds like the shit!

Got the LED gear display fitted, very nice. Maybe some people’ll think it’s useless but I like it! Seems a relatively simple fit; replace the original sensor on the gearbox (that shows when in neutral), run the wires up the rev counter (requires removal of rev gauge) and stick the LED display on the face. The only thing I don’t like is that the block with the LED that sits on the rev dial is quite thick, but that is a minor thing. There is also a blue light that sits on the right of the gauge that indicates top gear (as well as the LED showing 6), which is a nice touch. As mentioned in an earlier post, the kit is nicely made and I received it in the post 4 days after I transferred the Baht800 to Tong’s account. The link is the same as Allan (Thaicbr) provided earlier, http://www.cbr150club.com/board/index.php?topic=4072.0

Got the rear sprocket changed from the 38Tooth back to a 44T, much nicer with better low down pull and more tractable but now wished I had gone to the 47T like mjmark. I’m not gonna change anything else!!! The mechanic I use now is very, very good; if anyone in Pattaya wants his number just PM me. He ran a longer throttle cable to suit the 28mm carbie the previous mechanic put in, so now there isn’t any play in the throttle (had a ¼ turn play before!). He also put a new speedo and cable in, so now I have a low mileage bike instead of a 44k km one! :o

Went for an early morning ride today, and thought I would report.

With the 47 rear, 11,000rpm = 140km/hr. 11,500=143. 9,600rpm=120km

With the old 44, it was 9,000=120

This is with my Michelins.

(Question: is a 100/80 Michelin the same radius as an IRC 100/80?)

One thing about the 47 is there is much more oomph in 6th. I still hit 140 easily, and perhaps more easily than with the 44. Seems like the torque band pulls much better in 6th. With the 44 I remember it flattening out at 10,500rpm, but now it pulls easily to 11,500.

Whatever....

Fun fun fun on the empty highways around ChiangMai today. (Except for the smoke in the air - bad bad bad...)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I would just like to thank you guys for the useful info on the CBR in this topic, it has persuaded me to change from my aging and rather knackered phantom for a shiny new CBR. So if you see a blue with red plates zipping between Sriracha and Chonburi - give me a wave.

Cheers,

Ian.

Hi all,

I would just like to thank you guys for the useful info on the CBR in this topic, it has persuaded me to change from my aging and rather knackered phantom for a shiny new CBR. So if you see a blue with red plates zipping between Sriracha and Chonburi - give me a wave.

Cheers,

Ian.

Welcome to the club....

Hi all,

Cheers,

Ian.

Welcome Ian! Glad to hear of your "conversion". Lot's of good guys and info on this group, so don't be shy with questions or comments. The CBR150 is an impressive little machine that you should enjoy it for a lot of years.

T_Dog

Don't expect red plates on a motosai. Never have seen such. All of our white, new plates always came within five weeks.

Again different areas.. Here on phuket theres no riding around without plates so many many red plated scoots for the girls whose overpaying temprary boyfriends keep insisting on buying them :o

Don't expect red plates on a motosai. Never have seen such. All of our white, new plates always came within five weeks.

FWIW, when the Ninja was bought in October it rolled on red plates. As of 28 Feb still had red plates. This was in Nakhon Sawan......

Hello, I have a question about exhaust and downpipe. I'm not looking for a crazy loud exhaust but it should make a nice sound ( kinda like the KSR exhaust make .. if it s possible ), could a buy lets say a exhaust can for a KSR for my CBR or does it have to be specific for the CBR ?

I also notice that i get this powerband drop at 4000-6000RPM, could that be cause by the jets or something else.

Sorry for the stupid questions ( newbie at motorbike mech )

Thanks alot!

P.S

Anyone know a good mechanic/bike shop close to Asoke/Huay Kwang are, and also which pipe/muffler brand are good?

//Andreas

Hello, I have a question about exhaust and downpipe. I'm not looking for a crazy loud exhaust but it should make a nice sound ( kinda like the KSR exhaust make .. if it s possible ), could a buy lets say a exhaust can for a KSR for my CBR or does it have to be specific for the CBR ?

I also notice that i get this powerband drop at 4000-6000RPM, could that be cause by the jets or something else.

Sorry for the stupid questions ( newbie at motorbike mech )

Thanks alot!

P.S

Anyone know a good mechanic/bike shop close to Asoke/Huay Kwang are, and also which pipe/muffler brand are good?

//Andreas

An exhaust is an exhaust. Granted there's build quality issues, and IIRC, a KSR is ~110cc. A stock KSR's exhaust will be at least as restrictive as a CBR's. One thing you might consider to do is to have a local mechanic take off the stock CBR's exhaust and drill out the centre tube. This will increase the sound, however the tone could be hit or miss requiring several attempts to achieve what you're looking for.

I also have noticed a slight dip in the power round about that range-but most stock engines have a dip somewhere in their powerband. It's more pronounced in carb'd engines, due to the affects that are amplified by the overlap between the various needles and jets during usage. Unless it's really bad I wouldn't worry about it too much. You of course could go with a different set of jets setup or a new carb, but realise your fuel economy will suffer.

Hi Dave,

I understand what you mean about the stock exhaust for the KSR.. but i dont think i was clear enough. Im kinda looking for a aftermarket exhaust/muffler, the reason im asking for a different pipe is because i think the pipe i have fitted at the moment causes the bike to vibrate ALOT when the rev is around 7000+

The problem is that im a novice at mechanical stuff and just by riding i couldnt tell what the issue is, and i dont trust the motorbike shops at the corners here. I have been to a few honda centers but they got an bad attitude and says everything is fine ( usual lazyness i guess ).

If anyone close to ratchada rd(fortune)/asoke and got some free time to help a novice that would be much apperiated, I'll give ya a bottle of whiskey for the trouble :o

Cheer

Hi Dave,

I understand what you mean about the stock exhaust for the KSR.. but i dont think i was clear enough. Im kinda looking for a aftermarket exhaust/muffler, the reason im asking for a different pipe is because i think the pipe i have fitted at the moment causes the bike to vibrate ALOT when the rev is around 7000+

The problem is that im a novice at mechanical stuff and just by riding i couldnt tell what the issue is, and i dont trust the motorbike shops at the corners here. I have been to a few honda centers but they got an bad attitude and says everything is fine ( usual lazyness i guess ).

If anyone close to ratchada rd(fortune)/asoke and got some free time to help a novice that would be much apperiated, I'll give ya a bottle of whiskey for the trouble :o

Cheer

There's something else the matter with your bike than the exhaust if it's rattling badly at 7k rpm. I'd look at the engine mounts first. You'll have to remove some of the fairing to get a look. If there's no obvious problems, the next bet would be something's wrong with the pistons. A fairly cheap thing in Thailand to get fixed. Easiest way to ensure it's an engine problem is to rev it up at a standstill and make sure that's when it's rattling. If it's not, than it's further back.

I'd take you up on your offer but I'm some 5000 km away; I'm sure another board member will be willing to help you. I've dropped a PM to a guy who should be willing to look it over-if he's willing he'll get into touch with you...best I can do! If that's not a route you can go down, may I steer your business down to Samut Prakarn's Honda dealership located on Sukhumvit just past Soi Wat Asokoram. They've been really good to me in the past, have competent mechanics, and fair prices. The owner is Thai-Chinese and speaks fair English but is willing to get on a phone and ask for a translation if there's any problems. That extremely impressed me the first time I used the shop and I wasn't let down any other time I went there.

Thanks Dave,

Hopefully this will solve my problem. Yeah 5000km is a bit far to go :o

Ill head back to the house and start removing the fairing and check what you told me too. Hopefully your friend have to the and kindness to give me a hand.

thanks again

Ride safe

//Andreas

I hate to ride a bike in the heat with a plug in it. I rode a plugged-tire Seca 400 across Chihuahua State and back into Texas with a FNU on board, and never bothered to tell her about the safety of it. We camped west of the Continental Divide, swam nearly naked in a cold mountain stream....am I off topic? Well, the boyfriend reminds me that those original IRC tires are good for at least 10K km, so I will be looking for replacements after several more months. Will try to manage my way over the opposite side of the metro area soon.

: What's an FNU? oh, and where can I buy a new CBR 150 around Bkk?

Thanks,

John

Again different areas.. Here on phuket theres no riding around without plates so many many red plated scoots for the girls whose overpaying temprary boyfriends keep insisting on buying them :o

Sounds like I just need one of these "new girlfriends" after their temp bf's are gone, not a new bike, much cheaper, haha!

:D

My FNU comment was a take-off on T_Dog, who calls his girlfriend that because she sits on the pillion.

I was wrong about red plates on motosais. So my very first yesterday in Chiang Mai. After six years.

Speaking of rattles, I have one every time I exceed 125 kph. Things around the gas tank rattle like bells in an Edgar Allen Poe story, ting-ting-ting-abulation. But only above 125 kph indicated. Do you suppose the bike is telling me to slow down? :o

Hi all,

I never knew the CBR existed till I saw this thread. Looks interesting, but how about when you're giving someone a ride? Is it comfortable enough to do regularly. I suppose sidesaddle is out of the question?

The CBR is a great bike here in Thailand and pleased that you found this thread. My wife regularly rides pillion on my CBR. If she is wearing jeans she will sit straight up, but if I pick her up from work she is wearing a very slim fit Lanna Syle wrap around skirt so has to sit side saddle. The pillion pad is not large but most Asian women have a small bum so she manages very well and in some ways prefers it to riding pillion on the Honda Wave because she is perched a bit higher and can see over my shoulder. On the Wave she is bouncing around like a demented terrier trying to see under or around my arms. On the CBR she is eye height over the top of my shoulder.

She has sat side saddle for quite long distances but normally on trips will wear jeans (safer and more convenient). I will happily go for 10 hours at a time and only stop for pit stops but with her I go for about an hour and a half then take a break. She is happy and we can get some distance between stops. Most Thais, especially women start to fade out if they don't eat every hour and with a metabolism like a humming bird need to stock up regularly. The other problem for Thai women is that on pillion they can't talk and it has been documented in Medical Journals that forcing a Thai woman to not speak for more than two hours causes them to explode from the build up words. For the first ten minutes after we stop it is a full concentrated blast of pent up sentences until she has relieved the pressure sufficiently to then start eating.

:o

CB

I was just reading through all the old posts to this thread, and when I busted out laughing from complete silence, I suddenly feared getting hit by my girlfriend if I should have to explain what I was laughing about. CB, please keep your hilarious sarcasm about Thai women to yourself in the future, wink wink.

John