Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, in another thread I mentioned about getting a new monoshock for my tired old bike. I assume after 4.4 years and 49K km, the big farang has worn out the shock (it spent a year in salt air, too). I assume the replacement is high quality, with adjustable damping, etc. I assume the asean motor company is reputable. I wrote them for a price quote and got a quick, efficient reply in English. The only thing that bothers me is this in the reply from Pawarisa: "1.Gazi Hacker mono shock price 3,500 THB. 2.EMS air mail fee to Cheingmai 200 THB Amount total 3,700 THB.Please transfer to my personal account : "

Huh? I'm supposed to send US$110 to an employee's personal account? Is that a normal way to do business?

PB,

I have had to do this with a travel agent, but I was able to talk to them face to face first. I think it is a normal way to do business here. In your case, I would make sure the guy you are dealing with really does work with the company, or is the company and not an imposter. Talk to them on the phone to see if they are giving you good information like when they can ship it, but if they are giving a hard sell you might want to back away. Good Luck with this and let us know how it works out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I get the feeling that I'll be getting one of these. Reading people's comments in here puts me in mind of most favourite bike ever. Ducati Desmo 250 single. I had it at the same time as a 900ss and although the bigger bike had it licked in most departments, I always had such a huge grin on my face when riding the 250. I remember once coming back from a trip down to Paul Ricard to see the Bol d'Or on the 900 and the first thing I did on getting home was to go out on the 250 for a blast. It might have something to do with my being on the short side at 6' 7"; the single seemed to have been made for me. Every time I see a CBR150, I'm impressed with how small they are, which I really like.

...just fyi; saw a Police painted white CBR150 in Chiang Mai today - brand new, looking stylish - except the bars on the side which ruins it totally :-)

At CM immigration there are four of them. The police bought them as a special colour group from Honda.

CB

In Chiang Mai on Sunday January 6 there will be a toy run for orphaned kids. The web link is CM Toy Run

If anyone is interested we could do it as a Honda CBR bike run and go as a group.

The assembly point and time for the toy run is Tesco Khamtien at 10:00am

What I am proposing is the Chiang Mai CBR riders meet at Mad Dogs at 8am for breakfast and then ride as a group to Tesco for the main event.

If you are interested then there is only one rule - bring a toy

regards

CB

2 problems currently:

1. one of the low beam bulbs has gone. I guess that's fairly easy to replace.

2. the key has become very difficult to insert into the ignition and to turn the bike on. Has anybody had any experience with this? How would you go about fixing the ignition cylinder? Could this be to do with the rain?

1. Easy to replace if you have small hands. If you don't, and don't want anyone else mucking about with your cycle, you're going to have to remove some plastic to get to it.
  2. A couple of drops of oil down the cylinder should get you squared away. Most likely there's some type of contaminant, either dust or more likely a bit of rust. Not really an issue, but it's not going to get better by itself. I wouldn't recommend getting a different key, but rather take it somewhere reputable and having them clean out the barrel thouroughly.

All good now..they replaced the bulb at the Honda shop where I bought the bike..and yes..the guy had small hands.

As for the ignition cylinder..as you would expect they sprayed some WD-40 or something similar down there and the problem has been solved for now anyway.

2 problems currently:

1. one of the low beam bulbs has gone. I guess that's fairly easy to replace.

I leave my lights on all the time as a safety device - despite my bike being bright orange some people have difficultly seeing it on the road - I can see it halfway across a carpark but no some people don't see quite so well :o I replace the headlight bulbs perhaps once a year - I find that if one bulb fails, usually the low beam first because it is the one on most of the time. Fairly quickly after the other one will fail. I think this is because of the higher current running through the second bulb after the first one fails. They are cheap and easy to replace - don't put your fingers on the glass of the bulb. The acid in your skin will slightly etch the glass and make a dark spot.

2. the key has become very difficult to insert into the ignition and to turn the bike on. Has anybody had any experience with this? How would you go about fixing the ignition cylinder? Could this be to do with the rain?

I had this as well. The problem may be 1) the key is a copy not original and slightly out of spec 2) the key has worn or has a small burr on it that catches on the ignition lock pins or 3) the rain has got in and rusted the inside of the ignition. The pins are brass so won't rust but the rest of the ignition module is steel so will. The ignition module can be changed by most decent repair shops but the part probably won't be in their spare parts stock and have to be delivered from Honda in Bangkok. If you change it over they may be able to insert the old pins if they aren't worn and you can use your current key, else it will be a new key for the ignition lock.

CB

Since we are talking about lighting problems, my CBR150 has an odd problem. When I hit the brakes and expect to see the directional lights flash, only the right ones (front and back) flash. The Left ones say unlit. The left directionals work just fine. Has anyone else experienced this? I tried to find an electrical schematic on the web but no luck. There must be a relay somewhere that is defective or has a loose connection. If I only knew where to look! Any advice?

You must mean when you hit the brakes you expect your rear brake light(red) to light at least that is what mine does and I think should do.

Since we are talking about lighting problems, my CBR150 has an odd problem. When I hit the brakes and expect to see the directional lights flash, only the right ones (front and back) flash. The Left ones say unlit. The left directionals work just fine. Has anyone else experienced this? I tried to find an electrical schematic on the web but no luck. There must be a relay somewhere that is defective or has a loose connection. If I only knew where to look! Any advice?

When you hit the brake only the red brake tail light shoud litt up nothing else

Yeah, you've got electrical problems. Since the brake indicators are seperate from the turn indicators, there's absolutely no reason that the turn indicators should flash when you hit your brakes. Sounds like somewhere there's a crossed wire...most likely in the rear light assembly. You should be able to look at your left turn indicators to see what the right should look like and if there are any wires amiss, fix them.

Raises an interesting point.....do your brake lights flash when you have your right turn indicator on?

Yeah, you've got electrical problems. Since the brake indicators are seperate from the turn indicators, there's absolutely no reason that the turn indicators should flash when you hit your brakes. Sounds like somewhere there's a crossed wire...most likely in the rear light assembly. You should be able to look at your left turn indicators to see what the right should look like and if there are any wires amiss, fix them.

Raises an interesting point.....do your brake lights flash when you have your right turn indicator on?

This forum is great! I always wondered if all the CBR150's had the feature of flashing rear lights when you hit the brakes, and now I know that it is either a model option, a customized feature, or was only used one year. I have seen a few CBRs that are like mine where the rear directionals and the brake lights alternately flash when you hit the brakes. It is a cool feature. The front directionals strobe at the same time and makes the bike's intentions more visible. Looks like I will have to trace out the wiring to find out how it all goes together in order to find the problem. I am pretty sure something like a relay has failed or there is a loose connection, as it worked as I described it up until last week. The directionals work just fine both ways, it's just that when braking, the left ones don't light and flash like they used to. Thanks for the responses!

I always wondered if all the CBR150's had the feature of flashing rear lights when you hit the brakes

Sounds pretty sweet. I wish my CBR had that feature. I will check...but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Which year CBR has these flashing lights?..first I've heard of it.

I prefer that my turn idicators indicate that I am turning.

I had to follow a truck the other day that had alternating colored lights on his indicators. They just kept flashing the whole time he drove, you couldn't tell if he hit the brakes or was going to change lanes. Totally useless. I have seen the same on bikes, I guess its more important to modify than to survive.

Not that indicators are greatly understood here, but every little bit helps.

Wow, the CBR seems to be the bike of choice for Thai expats and reading thru some of this thread I get the picture that the reasons are for performance, reliabality, handling, spare parts availibility and price....am i correct or leaving out something?

My one problem with the CRB is that i don' really like that modern 'crotch rocket' look with all that flairing, so can some of the fancy flaring be removed w/o any problems?? maybe it's been done and someone could share a foto on this thread.

I also like the idea of fatter tires for smoother ride and better traction. can that be done on the stock rims??

In Chiang Mai on Sunday January 6 there will be a toy run for orphaned kids. The web link is CM Toy Run

If anyone is interested we could do it as a Honda CBR bike run and go as a group.

The assembly point and time for the toy run is Tesco Khamtien at 10:00am

What I am proposing is the Chiang Mai CBR riders meet at Mad Dogs at 8am for breakfast and then ride as a group to Tesco for the main event.

If you are interested then there is only one rule - bring a toy

regards

CB

The toy run happened on Sunday and I had a great time. Click on the Toy Run Link

for a report.

For anyone who would like to donate a toy - there is still time - take a new toy to Richco or Number 1 bar or Tuskers Bar or PM restaurant (soi3, Loi Kroh) BEFORE Saturday and they will be handed out on the Saturday.

CB

Another concern that i have with these 'crotch rocket' bikes is the posture that the rider has to assume. Looks kind of uncomfortable, leaning so far foreward, where most normal bikes, the posture seems more upright.

Comments on this concern??

Wow, the CBR seems to be the bike of choice for Thai expats and reading thru some of this thread I get the picture that the reasons are for performance, reliabality, handling, spare parts availibility and price....am i correct or leaving out something?

In my opinion the CBR150 is a great little bike - it has a decent turn of speed, the handling and the style. It doesn't cost a whole lot of money to buy and (just as importantly) to maintain. I like big bikes in the 600-1100cc range but here in Thailand where a Harley cost the same as a house and gets stolen a whole lot more easily the CBR is my choice of bike. Now if I had the funds to have both the CBR would be my daily ride and the big bike just for show and shine then I would be really happy.

My one problem with the CRB is that i don' really like that modern 'crotch rocket' look with all that flairing, so can some of the fancy flaring be removed w/o any problems?? maybe it's been done and someone could share a foto on this thread.

The fairing can be removed easily - keep the parts safe for when you want to sell the bike. The only problem I can see will be with the front lights and indicators that are integral to the fairing. You will need to buy and install a set which could be a pain. I haven't see an bike with the stripped look but would be interested to see how it turned out. I personally like the small fairing on the CBR - it is neat without being a full fairing, but then again my bike is bright orange and blue so what do I know about subtle :o

I also like the idea of fatter tires for smoother ride and better traction. can that be done on the stock rims??

There have been a number of discussions about tires on this sub forum. I have never had any problems with the stock tires or rims. If I was to do anything it would be to replace the plastic tires with a better quality but up here the roads in summer get so hot that any European soft tyre will strip rubber too fast to make it worth while.

CB

Another concern that i have with these 'crotch rocket' bikes is the posture that the rider has to assume. Looks kind of uncomfortable, leaning so far foreward, where most normal bikes, the posture seems more upright.

At 190cm and 90kg I don't think Mr Honda had me in mind when he came up with the design. However I have no problems with the cafe racer position except when :

1) my girlfriend goes to sleep on the back and leans her 40kg total weight on my back

2) I go on a long ride and the shoulders are taking the load. I dislocated both shoulders a long time ago and sometimes the combination of lay over the tank position and vibration can get a bit sore.

In normal riding it is fine, in fact the lay over (by design) lowers the centre of gravity and that makes it more stable and easier to ride that the upright position of a Wave or similar. Each bike has different characteristics and while some look uncomfortable (and sometimes are) they have different purposes.

Best bet would be to hire a CBR for a week and go for a couple of decent rides to see how you feel, then do some in traffic rides because they are different. I rode mine to Malaysia from Chiang Mai in the first month I owned it and yes I got tired but it was still a lot of fun. In fact I am still thinking about doing it again and come back the longer way via Isaan.

CB

Thanks for the good sales pitch CB. I've been wanting to move back to a bike with a clutch...using my wife's fino gets kinda embarasing sometimes. I've been on the lookout for a good condition older honda XL series that are rare here, but have always been my favorite. recently, i saw a Honda FTR 230 and it became my new dream ride, domestic Japan model that resembles a street/chopper/soft off road but way over priced at 70kbaht and no plates because it was a reassemble job.

good advise to rent a CBR for a week before i buy.

Jai Dee,

I worried about the position too before I bought mine, but after 2600 KM, it feels very comfortable both in town and on long trips. I rode the more upright-seating super sports of the 70's and 80's, and I find the CBR150 to be not that drastic of a change once you ride it for a few hours. One thing that the CBR150 has is great handling and great brakes. It feels a lot like my old Honda 750F, but maybe a bit better because it is lighter and the suspension is more advanced. My main reason for buying one was to get a real motorcycle and not pay an absurd price. The Fun/Expense Ratio on the CBR was the deciding factor for me. Sure... I would rather have an XR400 in SuperMoto, but to spend a 120KB on old used bike or 500K on a new one did not cut it for me. I don't worry about my bike when I park it cheek-to-cheek with a hundred others but I would if I spent big cash on it. The CBR150 is easy to park, and light enough to take on boat ferries or to pack across rough spots.

You are right, they are really getting popular! Last night (Chiang Mai) I saw a beautiful black one across from Three Kings, and this morning I saw an orange one at Smoothie Blues, a dark red one near Majoe Golf Course, and another red one on the canal road. Get one and I am sure you will have fun on it. My only complaint with the bike so far is not enough power at higher altitudes on steep roads with the FNU on board. (FNU= Female Navigation Unit) It is a great motorcycle for the price, so I can live with the lack of power occasionally. Down on the flats, the engine has plenty of snatch to keep me happy.

Agreed, just been back from a blast out to the borderlands and the performance, corner-taking and general ride were great. The seats a bit hard for long blasts but when it comes to overtaking the slowcoaches on the mountain valley roads, the CBR rocks! :D

FNU! That's a new one on me! :o But i agree that the CBR is not what I would use for a long jaunt through the valleys.

A performance K&N filter's going on tomorrow so that should zing things up a touch.

Wider tyres would be a bonus but I've only seen stock ones available.

I don't think you can get your knee down without nearly dropping the bike using stock tyres.

Yea, the CRB is probably the most reliable and best bang for my baht, but just today parked near rimping was both a CRB and a FTR side by side and i waited a while to chat with the owner of the FTR and he didn't come before my wife became impatient to leave. anyway, you CRB owners...i just want to share a foto of the FTR with you ....if i can cut and paste it.

Still my #1 choice if i can get one a decent price and with plates.

don't think it worked, so I'll try again later.....