New from US Embassy: "Official extension stamp" to change to long-term visa

18 hours ago, DinoDownunder said:

Thanks mate.

Just an update for anyone it may help..

1. TM86 filled out no problems. Was advised many times it needs to be all completed before the end of friday (for the time being) or thats the end of that.

2. Bank letter previous day and updated Bank book the same day fine. The local bank advised they couldnt give me a letter regarding a foreign transfer so I was denied this at immigration. I was told the code FTT was acceptable before as it means a foreign transfer transaction. Not quite good enough for imm at CW.

Fix was to go downstairs at CW to Bangkok Bank and they did it on the spot (no charge), guess you learn its always better to go to a more farang experienced area for these types of issues.

KBank also does have a proper branch there as well.

3. You were spot on. After lunch there was an older lady going around checking paperwork before the ticket queue no. She was outstanding and probably the only reason my 2nd attempt of the day worked out. Quite a little round the corner move and totally appreciated as the boss lady was to be honest left a bad taste in my mouth. Guess thats why they love their little agents helping out.

I also had a form shown to me for the first time showing what was needed. Geez i wish i had that before.. i had to draw a map freehand (thought that was the old days when not showing a TM30 and rental contact) and mess around showing 3 months of rental receipts when all was paid in cash at the time.

If anyone wants a copy msg me.

4. Yep I had a lot of good luck the 6 hours there. Thanks for the advise!

I am now under consideration and waiting for a call to visit from an immigration officer to take photo of me in my condo.

Just one question,

Is there any info/links on how this all works? She said 'they call anytime in 2 week, you need to answer', 'take photo you' then come back. I'd really like be prepared and not cause any issues if not able to answer the phone etc? 

Appreciate any help.

cheers

Dean

Dean,

Well done getting your act together so quickly. Six hours is a bit much! Mine took 40 mins.

The immigration police visited me yesterday and were very pleasant and easy to deal with. So they visited 3 business days after my application, and they said not many people applying for the Non-O retirement. They will call the day before and ask you how to get to your place. They seem to have difficulty with a GPS. They will talk to your landlord briefly. They will go inside your accommodation and ask for your passport, lease and bankbook again, and photograph them. They will photograph you holding them, and standing with an officer. And you have to sign a form. The process took about 30 minutes.

I used a printed out google map and a hand-drawn map.

Sorry, the list of things required was posted in another thread... I suppose I should have posted a copy of the requirements.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jackson B said:

Dean,

Well done getting your act together so quickly. Six hours is a bit much! Mine took 40 mins.

The immigration police visited me yesterday and were very pleasant and easy to deal with. So they visited 3 business days after my application, and they said not many people applying for the Non-O retirement. They will call the day before and ask you how to get to your place. They seem to have difficulty with a GPS. They will talk to your landlord briefly. They will go inside your accommodation and ask for your passport, lease and bankbook again, and photograph them. They will photograph you holding them, and standing with an officer. And you have to sign a form. The process took about 30 minutes.

I used a printed out google map and a hand-drawn map.

Sorry, the list of things required was posted in another thread... I suppose I should have posted a copy of the requirements.

Good luck!

Yeah. I had to get extra info which took awhile but there were alot of people there i guess as its getting closer to the close off date on Friday.

Anyway fantastic information mate. Really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Dean

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DinoDownunder said:

Yeah. I had to get extra info which took awhile but there were alot of people there i guess as its getting closer to the close off date on Friday.

Anyway fantastic information mate. Really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Dean

You're very welcome. I received a lot of good advice on these pages, but I also went twice to CW to clarify the minor points before actually applying, so I'm happy to share.

Incidentally, I got my letter from the Australian embassy today ... but I'm not sure it would actually help. I've got it as a back up in case my non-O is refused.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jackson B said:

You're very welcome. I received a lot of good advice on these pages, but I also went twice to CW to clarify the minor points before actually applying, so I'm happy to share.

Incidentally, I got my letter from the Australian embassy today ... but I'm not sure it would actually help. I've got it as a back up in case my non-O is refused.

I received my letter from the Australian embassy on the 1st of September. Later news from the embassy said that they would offer letters for only 2 reasons

1. being for people that cant get home

2. letters to apply for a long term visa.

I emailed them asking if I needed a new letter actually stating that I want to apply for a long term visa before the end of amnesty and eventually received an email saying ' no need for a new letter, just use the extension letter with supportive documents.

Does your letter basically just state 'The Australian embassy does not object to citizens lawfully applying for visa extensions to temporarily remain in thailand'?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DinoDownunder said:

I received my letter from the Australian embassy on the 1st of September. Later news from the embassy said that they would offer letters for only 2 reasons

1. being for people that cant get home

2. letters to apply for a long term visa.

I emailed them asking if I needed a new letter actually stating that I want to apply for a long term visa before the end of amnesty and eventually received an email saying ' no need for a new letter, just use the extension letter with supportive documents.

Does your letter basically just state 'The Australian embassy does not object to citizens lawfully applying for visa extensions to temporarily remain in thailand'?

Yes, exact same letter I guess. The wording clearly takes a diplomatic shot at the Thai government's requirement for an embassy letter, because a visa request is not subject to approval by the Australian government, and is in any case covered under existing reciprocal arrangements. And note that no responsibility is implied.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jackson B said:

Yes, exact same letter I guess. The wording clearly takes a diplomatic shot at the Thai government's requirement for an embassy letter, because a visa request is not subject to approval by the Australian government, and is in any case covered under existing reciprocal arrangements. And note that no responsibility is implied.

In one of the videos from the ambassador he also made a subtle dig at Immigration by saying, "seeing as Immigration is unwilling to make these decisions by themselves we have to issue letters" 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, greggraham said:

The deadline is important because Immigration requires 15 days to process these applications (before September 26). Both steps must be completed by this deadline (obtaining the stamp and submitting the application) to ensure that the application can be processed before the end of the amnesty.

The dead-line of 11 September to get that stamp in order to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa, expired YESTERDAY.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The dead-line of 11 September to get that stamp in order to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa, expired YESTERDAY.

Yep, that's what the email says; "Visit an Immigration office (in your area) by September 11, 2020 ", I guess it was sent out in the first week of Sept but I only just came across it.

Was just sharing the corroborating info ???? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2020 at 6:32 PM, DinoDownunder said:

Got the visit today. Photos outside the condo block, outside my door and inside. Signed a form and that was about it. Nice couple of guys. Said they'd done another 4 already today. The head guy said nothing to worry about getting the visa so I'm sure it'll be fine.

I double checked with him that when returning on the date stamped on the blue form that I need a new bank letter and updated bank book. I think thats about it.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers

Dean

Sounds like the same couple of guys. We have to get another bank letter to receive the visa? That is news to me. I'll tell you Friday what happens.

57 minutes ago, Jackson B said:

Sounds like the same couple of guys. We have to get another bank letter to receive the visa? That is news to me. I'll tell you Friday what happens.

He seemed to understand my english when I asked and said yes. I couldnt be bothered calling the hotline, they didnt know the new requirements so maybe I'll get one just to be on the safe side.

Yes let me know and good luck!

Just wondering, do you have a link to the document checklists for CW that you mentioned earlier? I did a search but couldnt find anything.

Cheers

Edited by DinoDownunder

7 minutes ago, DinoDownunder said:

He seemed to understand my english when I asked and said yes. I couldnt be bothered calling the hotline, they didnt know the new requirements so maybe I'll get one just to be on the safe side.

Yes let me know and good luck!

Just wondering, do you have a link the the document checklists for CW that you mentioned earlier? I did a search but couldnt find anything.

Cheers

Hmmm... I know @ubonjoe posted one a couple of weeks ago. But I just found this useful resource. There are also the pinned posts.

http://www.workpermitthai.com/visachange-english.htm

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Jackson B said:

Hi Dean, today was very smooth. No waiting. I handed my blue receipt over, waited 10 minutes, then the IO came out and handed me the passport with 90-day visa. She did not want to see the embassy letter, the bankbook or anything else.

So I think you'll be fine too.

The only irritation is all the bloody stamps taking 3 pages out of my 4 remaining. So she advised me to get a new passport. I wanted to advise her to get smaller stamps, but she wasn't in the mood for jokes.

Glad you got it pal!

What stamps did they give you in the end? And when did they start the 90 days from?

Edited by greggraham

2 hours ago, Jackson B said:

Hi Dean, today was very smooth. No waiting. I handed my blue receipt over, waited 10 minutes, then the IO came out and handed me the passport with 90-day visa. She did not want to see the embassy letter, the bankbook or anything else.

So I think you'll be fine too.

The only irritation is all the bloody stamps taking 3 pages out of my 4 remaining. So she advised me to get a new passport. I wanted to advise her to get smaller stamps, but she wasn't in the mood for jokes.

Congrats mate. thanks for the update. I'm sure mine will go fine too just cant wait to get it out of the way.

You just got a ticket for C1 right?

On 9/18/2020 at 4:59 PM, greggraham said:

Glad you got it pal!

What stamps did they give you in the end? And when did they start the 90 days from?

The 90 days starts from 3 September, the date I started the application. That's a bit cheeky, I think. 

Stamps: the big one to extend to the 26th, the red Covid-19 stamp, the big visa stamp, the used stamp, the red immigration stamp, the declaration of the Thai law being used stamp (in Thai), the "non-O-retirement" stamp, the re-entry warning stamp to get another stamp before leaving Thailand, and a blue Covid stamp. Plus 6 date stamps.

God help them if they ever go digital.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2020 at 7:31 PM, DinoDownunder said:

Congrats mate. thanks for the update. I'm sure mine will go fine too just cant wait to get it out of the way.

You just got a ticket for C1 right?

Cheers. Yeah, I got given a queue ticket for C6, but was led straight to C3 by the dude who visited my apartment. He recognised me and came over to say hello and help. Nice touch, I thought.

You doing yours tomorrow?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jackson B said:

Stamps: the big one to extend to the 26th, the red Covid-19 stamp, the big visa stamp, the used stamp, the red immigration stamp, the declaration of the Thai law being used stamp (in Thai), the "non-O-retirement" stamp, the re-entry warning stamp to get another stamp before leaving Thailand, and a blue Covid stamp. Plus 6 date stamps.

God, I can't even imagine/picture that many stamps, and I haven't heard of half of them haha. They gave the "big one to extend" a few weeks ago right? 

Cheeky I agree, but at least you got it. I'm heading in on Thurs/Fri - no house visit yet. Not feeling optimistic about getting it but you never know. 

Edited by greggraham

3 hours ago, Jackson B said:

Cheers. Yeah, I got given a queue ticket for C6, but was led straight to C3 by the dude who visited my apartment. He recognised me and came over to say hello and help. Nice touch, I thought.

You doing yours tomorrow?

Yeah how cool is that. 

Nope, have to wait until Thursday. Wont have many days to fix it if things don't work out but I'm sure it'll be fine.

God I'm glad I've basically got a brand new passport. Its abit odd to be starting the visa from the application date, but yeah I wont be complaining either lol

Did they explain to you to go to MTT within 45 days of the visa expiring to get the one year extension?

I'm hoping to get some answers as well if they will be able to accept an application for a letter of residence (for a license) the same day while being on the retirement visa or if I need to do a 90 day report first.

3 minutes ago, DinoDownunder said:

Did they explain to you to go to MTT within 45 days of the visa expiring to get the one year extension?

I'm hoping to get some answers as well if they will be able to accept an application for a letter of residence (for a license) the same day while being on the retirement visa or if I need to do a 90 day report first.

MTT is only for short-term extension applications.

Applying for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa (from a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry) or applying for the 1-year extension of stay, still needs to be done at CW

Better to ask your questions on the Forum, you will get more complete and accurate answers than when asking an Imm officer that has little time and whose mastery of english is often not very good.

When you know the broad lines of the options you have, you can then check for specific details or IO-dependent interpretation later when visiting the local IO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DinoDownunder said:

Yeah how cool is that. 

Nope, have to wait until Thursday. Wont have many days to fix it if things don't work out but I'm sure it'll be fine.

God I'm glad I've basically got a brand new passport. Its abit odd to be starting the visa from the application date, but yeah I wont be complaining either lol

Good luck. Yeah, this visit to Thailand has used 4 pages of passport, and they say they will use 2 more for the extension. Mad!

No mention of MTT. She said to come back to CW to counter L for the extension. I believe it is within 30 days of expiry of the 90-day.

Did you get your embassy letter? I got one just in case this Non-O didn't work out. Anyway, no worries now.

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

MTT is only for short-term extension applications.

Applying for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa (from a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry) or applying for the 1-year extension of stay, still needs to be done at CW

Better to ask your questions on the Forum, you will get more complete and accurate answers than when asking an Imm officer that has little time and whose mastery of english is often not very good.

When you know the broad lines of the options you have, you can then check for specific details or IO-dependent interpretation later when visiting the local IO.

Peter, I agree that information is better obtained here first. Do you happen to know if I can switch my 800k to a separate bank account with the same bank? Obviously I would aim to do it so that the 800k can be seasoned for two months before the extension. The IO advised to switch it on the day of the extension, but that does not make sense to me.

33 minutes ago, Jackson B said:

Good luck. Yeah, this visit to Thailand has used 4 pages of passport, and they say they will use 2 more for the extension. Mad!

No mention of MTT. She said to come back to CW to counter L for the extension. I believe it is within 30 days of expiry of the 90-day.

Did you get your embassy letter? I got one just in case this Non-O didn't work out. Anyway, no worries now.

Thanks. Yeah CW is right, I was was getting confused with the 90 day reporting which I believe gets done at MTT at the moment.

Yeah I've got the embassy letter as well as a backup.

Peter, I've read in the some forums that at CW you can go as early as 45 days before expiring but your right better to ask here rather than trying to understand the IO.  

Edited by DinoDownunder

42 minutes ago, Jackson B said:

Peter, I agree that information is better obtained here first. Do you happen to know if I can switch my 800k to a separate bank account with the same bank? Obviously I would aim to do it so that the 800k can be seasoned for two months before the extension. The IO advised to switch it on the day of the extension, but that does not make sense to me.

Hi Jackson,

I addressed that question in > https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1181153-cw-report-application-to-change-from-tr-to-non-o/?do=findComment&comment=15834788

and also addressed the requirements for such new bank-account.

If you still have sufficient time to do the transfer such that the 800K is at least 2 months on your new bank-account at the moment of application for your 1-year extension of stay, there would be no problem doing so.

On 9/20/2020 at 6:23 PM, Peter Denis said:

At Chaeng Wattana you can apply for the 1-year extension of stay up to 45 days early if you want to.  At most IOs you can only do it 30 days before your permission to stay expiry date.

Interesting. Yeah, I saw your answer in the other thread, cheers. I've got a window of a week to do it.