New from US Embassy: "Official extension stamp" to change to long-term visa

15 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I wouldn't normally recommend this, but It sounds like you've more or less exhausted every other option at Nonthaburi so maybe try with an Agent in a different district (Pattaya seems to be full of agents & has an IO that's very used to dealing with Retirees / People with Thai families so maybe try Key Visa  https://www.keyvisathailand.com/ there)

I have heard that these agents can (not saying Key Visa can/cannot, if they can't try other agencies) help you to move to the district until you get your extension sorted then simply move back. 

Good Luck, even though things look very bleak at the moment, I'm sure you'll find a way ????

Did talk with someone about this option in some other thread earlier, could be an option for some, Im getting out of here unless there will be some issues with getting them to Norway.. But I appreciate the advice. theres always an option in Thailand, but then again, I kinda like to be sure it doesnt come back and bite my "backpart" later on... 

21 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

@The33

> The root of your problem is that you are dealing with Nonthaburi IO, the roguest of rogue offices (as you already found out).

But you wrote that you are here on a Tourist Visa and already used your 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife. 

However, there might be a fully legit way out.

And that is if you did NOT yet use your 'regular' 30-day extension of stay your Tourist Visa entry entitles you to, it would be simply a matter of you applying for that extension at a different province with a more accommodating IO. 

The link to the recent post attached below confirms that Ubon Ratchathani IO were willing to provide an applicant that entered on a Tourist Visa months ago (obviously already long time under the Amnesty extension since then) with the 30-days extension of stay such Tourist Visa (or Visa Exempt) entry, entitles you to. 

Once you have that 'valid' 30 days extension of stay, you could then simply apply again at the Nonthaburi IO for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage (or thai dependant child or any other applicable reason).

So, if you did not use that 30-day extension of stay application yet, it is simply a matter of doing the follow:

1 - Book a flight or drive to Ubon Ratchathani, the day before applying there.

2 - Check into a Hotel the night before (I highly recommend the Nartsiri residence - best value hotel I have ever stayed in)

3 - Ask for a copy of the TM-30 notification that every Hotel has to make when you - a foreigner - staying at their hotel

4 - With that TM-30 copy, your passport, application form for the extension of stay and 1.900 THB, go to Ubon Ratchathani IO and apply for the 30-days extension of stay (which you did not use yet, and which your Tourist Visa entitles you to).

Note: As a 'tourist' you are free to stay in Thailand wherever you want (and the hotel you stayed is thus your place of residence, which IO will want when applying for the extension)

5 - Return to Nonthaburi IO with that 'valid' permission to stay (it will be provided till 25 October - see attached link) and you have then ample time to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (needs to be done with at least 15 days left on your permission to stay).

>> Note: If they still make problems, there are now ways to apply for your Non Imm O Visa being on that valid permission to stay from the 30-day extension you will have.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1180274-i-got-my-30-days-extension-denied-today/?do=findComment&comment=15774394

Note: You can make the trip to Ubon Ratchathani yourself, or even make it a holiday break with your family as Ubon is a very nice Isaan city to explore.

@The33 > Looks like you missed the message I posted yesterday.

If you did not yet use your 'regular' 30-day extension of stay, the above would work for sure.

17 minutes ago, Jackson B said:

I appreciate that this thread has moved on to more diverse and individually complicated issues, but I thought I would report back on my visit to CW on Thursday. I can confirm that the "free stamp" that regularizes the amnesty extension to 26 September is real. BUT, there was no drama getting it, and I did not need to obtain one before applying to convert over from a TR to a Non-O. I simply put in my application, the IO collated all the documents needed. She then sent me to Counter L with my passport, where I filled in a very basic form. After 5 minutes the passport was back with a stamp. I then took the passport back to the original counter (no queue), everything was double-checked, and I was told to come back in two weeks. Counter L looked at no other documents, presumably because it is integrated with the Non-O application process.

Thanks for the report. Yep, despite some doubters, it does seem where needed embassy's are issuing the free stamp. 

edit: a bit confused, you needed the free stamp or not? You said you "..did not need to obtain one" but then your language suggests you did. 

If the stamp you mentioned is the free one (and not the Non-O), you go back in 2 weeks for the actual non-O stamp? Are they going to do a house visit in that time (assuming it's for marriage), or does that come after the stamp? 

Edited by greggraham

17 minutes ago, greggraham said:

Thanks for the report. Yep, despite some doubters, it does seem where needed embassy's are issuing the free stamp. 

edit: a bit confused, you needed the free stamp or not? You said you "..did not need to obtain one" but then your language suggests you did. 

If the stamp you mentioned is the free one (and not the Non-O), you go back in 2 weeks for the actual non-O stamp? Are they going to do a house visit in that time (assuming it's for marriage), or does that come after the stamp? 

I did not need to make any effort to get the "free stamp" BEFORE making my Non-O application. It was given as part of the process at CW. Just walk from Counter C to Counter L, then back again.

Yes, I believe if approved, they will give me the 90-day Non-O stamp (or is it a whole page paper sticker?) in two weeks. In the meantime, they say they will make a house visit. (It's for a retirement option). I was warned to be ready to answer my phone, as the visit could come on any day.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jackson B said:

I did not need to make any effort to get the "free stamp" BEFORE making my Non-O application. It was given as part of the process at CW. Just walk from Counter C to Counter L, then back again.

Yes, I believe if approved, they will give me the 90-day Non-O stamp (or is it a whole page paper sticker?) in two weeks. In the meantime, they say they will make a house visit. (It's for a retirement option). I was warned to be ready to answer my phone, as the visit could come on any day.

So we're all 100% clear... Did they 1st stamp your passport with the "Free Stamp" until the 26th September & then do your non-O extension OR just do the Non-O extension?

Edit: Normally there isn't a home visit required for "Retirement" so I can't think why you didn't get your extension straight away... 

Can you please confirm... 

1. Are you converting to a Non-O or extending an existing Non-O 
  2. On what basis are you getting the Visa (800K in the bank/65K Income OR 400K in the bank/40K Income)
  3. Are you married to a Thai or have Thai children.

Sorry to ask so many questions but there are a lot of guys that might be encouraged by your experience who could be left disappointed if they don't have all of the background info. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

54 minutes ago, Jackson B said:

Glad it was easy ???? 

I also thought house visit was just for marriage, but maybe not.

The "come back in two weeks" makes sense w/ the OP and needing to apply 14 days before the end of amnesty to review the application. 

Edited by greggraham
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

2. On what basis are you getting the Visa (800K in the bank/65K Income OR 400K in the bank/40K Income)

It seems the user is converting from a TR (but on amnesty) to a Non-O retirement. Please confirm @Jackson B, and thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

So we're all 100% clear... Did they 1st stamp your passport with the "Free Stamp" until the 26th September & then do your non-O extension OR just do the Non-O extension?

Edit: Normally there isn't a home visit required for "Retirement" so I can't think why you didn't get your extension straight away... 

Sorry to ask so many questions but there are a lot of guys that might be encouraged by your experience who could be left disappointed if they don't have all of the background info. 

Hi Mike,

It's for a retirement Non-O visa. Not extension, as I don't have the visa yet. As I said, I'm converting from a TR (tourist) to a Non-O in order to stay in Thailand longer. No marriage. 800k. I just posted a more detailed report in a new post. I have never applied for a visa within the country before, so there seems to be more scrutiny, hence the home visit? There was a lot of paperwork to organise, for sure.

The "free stamp" comes in the middle of the process. It was like (1) check documents, (2) get free stamp, (3) come back to finish and pay. The whole process took about 40 minutes from walking in.

And no requirement for insurance either.

Edited by Jackson B
Add detail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jackson B said:

Hi Mike,

It's for a retirement Non-O visa. Not extension, as I don't have the visa yet. As I said, I'm converting from a TR (tourist) to a Non-O in order to stay in Thailand longer. No marriage. 800k. I just posted a more detailed report in a new post. I have never applied for a visa within the country before, so there seems to be more scrutiny, hence the home visit? There was a lot of paperwork to organise, for sure.

The "free stamp" comes in the middle of the process. It was like (1) check documents, (2) get free stamp, (3) come back to finish and pay. The whole process took about 40 minutes from walking in.

Just edited my post, finally got what you mean about not needing before applying.

40 minutes is great, congrats! If my immigration can get past the fact I used an embassy letter stamp (which currently they say means I can't apply for anything), this is pretty much exactly what I want to do.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, greggraham said:

Just edited my post, finally got what you mean about not needing before applying.

40 minutes is great, congrats! If my immigration can get past the fact I used an embassy letter stamp (which currently they say means I can't apply for anything), this is pretty much exactly what I want to do.

Yeah, there was the initial suggestion in other posts that you need to go to MTT to get this "free stamp" before you can do anything else. That was NOT my experience. I got it all done in one visit at CW. If you are under the amnesty, you should also be able to apply before Sept 11. But you need to show 800k transferred from abroad. That took me two days with TransferWise.

In the last couple of days, I got an email from my embassy saying they would provide a supporting letter, but only for people applying for a long-stay visa or for those whose travel plans had been scotched by the airlines. Proof required. I have no idea why embassies would be so unkind to their own citizens.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jackson B said:

Yeah, there was the initial suggestion in other posts that you need to go to MTT to get this "free stamp" before you can do anything else. That was NOT my experience. I got it all done in one visit at CW. If you are under the amnesty, you should also be able to apply before Sept 11. But you need to show 800k transferred from abroad. That took me two days with TransferWise.

In the last couple of days, I got an email from my embassy saying they would provide a supporting letter, but only for people applying for a long-stay visa or for those whose travel plans had been scotched by the airlines. Proof required. I have no idea why embassies would be so unkind to their own citizens.

Yeah the US Embassy letter said you couldn't do both things on the same day, so good to know you can. At yet more proof that this wasn't all a hoax, and something that can help those in no man's land get on a hard stamp and apply for a proper extension. 

Did you have/give them a supporting letter? I have one, but on our last IO visit it didn't really help. But the lady at my IO is trying to see if she can work things out for us, so fingers crossed. But a lot of "mai dai" when we went on Wednesday ???? 

Edited by greggraham

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

- You did not need an Embassy letter for that 'free stamp'.  The Embassy letter is only needed when you are NOT applying for a Non Imm O Visa or 1-year extension of stay, as that Embassy letter supported application would just provide you with a legit permission to stay to 'sort things out' when not able to exit Thailand at the moment of application  And it is unclear whether such an Embassy letter supported special extension of stay would allow you later on to apply for a long-stay Visa or extension.

Yeah the "'sort things out' when not able to exit Thailand at the moment of application" is how I understand the embassy letter stamp, sort things out = make your plans to leave, and in my experience once you are in that "exit Thailand" gang you cannot later apply for a long-stay visa/extension. So I suggest people are careful before using going down that route, check with your IO if that's the plan and see how they interpret it.

Edited by greggraham
  • Like 1

There have been two reports about getting the free stamp to the 26th September to use for applying for a change from TR visa to a long term visa. One a week ago that said the poster did it at MTT and another two days ago that was done at CW. But if I understood correctly the stamp was given as part of the process of accepting an application for and granting a long term visa at those IOs, not given independently. One report even mentions the stamp was given on a slip of paper. 
My problem is that my IO wont give a regular 30 days extension to go from to retirement visa. So would it be worth it to go to Bangkok to try to get only this free stamp, to use for retirement visa at my original IO? I can't gather from these reports if that's possible, and which IO is suitable for just that.

Ubon Ratchathani has been mentioned as a IO that would be friendly to giving the regular 30 days extension, which would give me until middle of October to apply for retirement visa. But I've seen no reports confirming if that is consistently the case. It's a bit costly to go there just on a hope. 

31 minutes ago, mikem20 said:

There have been two reports about getting the free stamp to the 26th September to use for applying for a change from TR visa to a long term visa. One a week ago that said the poster did it at MTT and another two days ago that was done at CW. But if I understood correctly the stamp was given as part of the process of accepting an application for and granting a long term visa at those IOs, not given independently. One report even mentions the stamp was given on a slip of paper. 
My problem is that my IO wont give a regular 30 days extension to go from to retirement visa. So would it be worth it to go to Bangkok to try to get only this free stamp, to use for retirement visa at my original IO? I can't gather from these reports if that's possible, and which IO is suitable for just that.

Friend of mine has similar concerns as he's waiting to switch over to a Thailand Elite Visa but they still hasn't gotten the approval back from immigration to issue the welcome letter.

Both his Embassy and Thailand Elite aren't helpful in providing any documents or support to go to CW and apply for the elusive SEP 26th stamp or even a 30 day extension. I told him to go there with the application and status printout from their website and try his luck. Worst case there is always someone around from TE at the government complex if they have questions.

2 hours ago, mikem20 said:

Ubon Ratchathani has been mentioned as a IO that would be friendly to giving the regular 30 days extension, which would give me until middle of October to apply for retirement visa. But I've seen no reports confirming if that is consistently the case. It's a bit costly to go there just on a hope. 

Mine was a stamp in the passport, and given as part of the application for Non-O. I was warned they would not be accepting such applications after the 11th September. But things may have changed, of course, as embassies now seem willing to issue letters of support.

On 9/5/2020 at 11:22 PM, Jackson B said:

Hi Mike,

And no requirement for insurance either.

I'm in the exact same position. I'm waiting for transferwise to come through which should be today sometime I hope.

I  just have a couple of questions

1. Did you fill out the TM.86? (Application for change of visa)

2. Did you obtain your bankbook update and the bank letter at CW the same day? I have read that some banks require one or more days before you can receive it and I'm with Bangkok bank so was going to do it downstairs at CW prior to applying.

3. When entering the immigration office did you just say you wanted to convert a TR to a 90 day non-o visa and they sent you in the right direction? OR advised them you are on amnesty and need a hard stamp to convert?

Thanks for all the information you've been updating us with mate!

Cheers,

Dean

4 minutes ago, alw22 said:

Just got back from a small non-Bangkok immigration office and was given an under consideration stamp until Oct 16 and a promised additional 10 days if I return to their office on that date.

I arrived in January on a normal tourist visa exemption and already used my pre-covid 30 day extension.

I used the US embassy letter for this new extension.  They reviewed it carefully, but didn't require any additional documentation, just usual tm7 and 1900 baht.

Awesome, thanks for the update! Do you mind if I ask which office?

I  just have a couple of questions

1. Did you fill out the TM.86? (Application for change of visa)

2. Did you obtain your bankbook update and the bank letter at CW the same day? I have read that some banks require one or more days before you can receive it and I'm with Bangkok bank so was going to do it downstairs at CW prior to applying.

3. When entering the immigration office did you just say you wanted to convert a TR to a 90 day non-o visa and they sent you in the right direction? OR advised them you are on amnesty and need a hard stamp to convert?

Thanks for all the information you've been updating us with mate!

Cheers,

Dean

1. Yes, I used a TM86. It's virtually identical to the TM87 (which you would use if you did not arrive on a visa). If you had a TR, then use the TM86.

2. Bankbook update for total amount and letter same day. Yes. Go to your bank in the morning before you get to CW. There are some bank branches at CW too, but not all banks are there. I think BBL is there.

For the proof of overseas transfer, you will need your credit advice slips from BBL (available for free, before the application date. For those, you need the transferwise receipts, passport, and bankbook. Although, as you are already with BBL, perhaps that process will be easier. The BBL declaration of foreign funds transfer can be arranged before the day you go to CW.)

3. Just ask for a queue ticket for Counter C1. Half way through the process you will be directed to L1, where they will put the stamp in, and then return to C1. It all flows relatively smoothly.

4. Good luck. And do it before Friday, in case they were serious about not issuing non-O after that.

Edited by Jackson B

6 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

the under consideration stamp effectively removes the possibility to turn it into a long stay visa, no?

Good point ... because you only have 10 additional days once the final extension of your permission to stay comes through. I do not think even well connected agents can overcome the 15 day rule.

On 9/8/2020 at 6:20 PM, Jackson B said:

1. Yes, I used a TM86. It's virtually identical to the TM87 (which you would use if you did not arrive on a visa). If you had a TR, then use the TM86.

2. Bankbook update for total amount and letter same day. Yes. Go to your bank in the morning before you get to CW. There are some bank branches at CW too, but not all banks are there. I think BBL is there.

For the proof of overseas transfer, you will need your credit advice slips from BBL (available for free, before the application date. For those, you need the transferwise receipts, passport, and bankbook. Although, as you are already with BBL, perhaps that process will be easier. The BBL declaration of foreign funds transfer can be arranged before the day you go to CW.)

3. Just ask for a queue ticket for Counter C1. Half way through the process you will be directed to L1, where they will put the stamp in, and then return to C1. It all flows relatively smoothly.

4. Good luck. And do it before Friday, in case they were serious about not issuing non-O after that.

Thanks mate.

Just an update for anyone it may help..

1. TM86 filled out no problems. Was advised many times it needs to be all completed before the end of friday (for the time being) or thats the end of that.

2. Bank letter previous day and updated Bank book the same day fine. The local bank advised they couldnt give me a letter regarding a foreign transfer so I was denied this at immigration. I was told the code FTT was acceptable before as it means a foreign transfer transaction. Not quite good enough for imm at CW.

Fix was to go downstairs at CW to Bangkok Bank and they did it on the spot (no charge), guess you learn its always better to go to a more farang experienced area for these types of issues.

KBank also does have a proper branch there as well.

3. You were spot on. After lunch there was an older lady going around checking paperwork before the ticket queue no. She was outstanding and probably the only reason my 2nd attempt of the day worked out. Quite a little round the corner move and totally appreciated as the boss lady was to be honest left a bad taste in my mouth. Guess thats why they love their little agents helping out.

I also had a form shown to me for the first time showing what was needed. Geez i wish i had that before.. i had to draw a map freehand (thought that was the old days when not showing a TM30 and rental contact) and mess around showing 3 months of rental receipts when all was paid in cash at the time.

If anyone wants a copy msg me.

4. Yep I had a lot of good luck the 6 hours there. Thanks for the advise!

I am now under consideration and waiting for a call to visit from an immigration officer to take photo of me in my condo.

Just one question,

Is there any info/links on how this all works? She said 'they call anytime in 2 week, you need to answer', 'take photo you' then come back. I'd really like be prepared and not cause any issues if not able to answer the phone etc? 

Appreciate any help.

cheers

Dean