New from US Embassy: "Official extension stamp" to change to long-term visa

And another from the Thai visa advice FB page. An American woman who was on a Non-O volunteer. She said this stamp (until Sept 26) was free. Go check out Tod and her conversation if you like.

I went to Chaengwattana this morning with our local sponsor. We brought the US Embassy letter & another letter brought by my sponsor, I’ll send a snapshot later. We got a hard stamp for the 26th of August. We were told to come back nearing that date & use the extension given by US Embassy

118327749_10217079808897941_2455263924435315729_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_eui2=AeHeAPNu0HNdzXmDSACf12YiCfQaM4nU1EIJ9BozidTUQtV1q1a-TQqHZBe8AiHJNdE&_nc_ohc=UJ0GwU5TMcsAX-ecTmE&_nc_ht=scontent.fhdy3-1.fna&oh=f1f84a72628c2c81f5a05ebaca19c5a4&oe=5F72D3BD

• Like 1

Current status, Death line 11.09.2020 and stamp window for ??? agents

If you understand the stamp as a technical zeroing visa, it would probably have become the coolest thing on an international scale. But even if it was planned that way, the first start went against the gang immediately. The controlled equalization of all visa holders in amnesty (valid and invalid visas over 90 days stay plus max. 60 days extension) is not regulated within the Immigration Department. Possibly this for me short light view with the stamp was/is reserved only for a limited circle and some random beneficiaries.

Covid Adjustment by office Sakaeo:

1. Legal entries under Amnesty have a legal permit to stay until 26.09.2020
  2. Extensions from Amnesty require an embassy letter (no information about the content published or communicated), if no extension from the visa itself is possible.

Summary "bi or die":
To the linked message contribution nothing has changed, only the departure date from 31.07 to 26.09.
https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/07/13/stranded-foreigners-letter-from-embassies-or-leave-thailand-to-avoid-arrest/
https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/07/28/immigration-says-no-more-extension-amnesty-after-sep-26/

Base of my opinion:

The state of affairs in Sakaeo has been the same for ages.
Today 31.07.2020 including the 60 day extension is the 7th meeting to clarify my situation within the NON-IMM O MULTIBLE at the immigration office Sakaeo.
There is neither knowledge nor understanding of a stamp that should legalize my stay. I should come back on 29.09., my desired change is no problem. Unfortunately I had to ask about the missing 3 days of illegal stay and the 14 days ban (September 11th). Answer: If there is a letter from my country embassy (no reference to content), I can extend my stay.

I hope the report helps some and I thank all for the help to clarify the basics of my now unfortunately repeatedly unsuccessful applications.

10 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I thought you had to go to MTT for short term extensions nowadays so could it be that you went to the wrong place 

[I know CW should know all of the rules but it's possible]

Mike, applications for switching to a non-im visa are still done at CW.

• Like 1

So this one a bit different, it mentions a "slip of paper that they stamp with the elusive stamp the US embassy was on about in that email".

Obviously the "come ready with ALL of the visa documents you need for the long term visa of your choosing BEFORE September 26" is a typo/wrong, it seems to need to be 2 weeks before that. 

If anyone is able to translate the letter I shared yesterday that might be an important key to the puzzle. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, greggraham said:

So this one a bit different, it mentions a "slip of paper that they stamp with the elusive stamp the US embassy was on about in that email".

Obviously the "come ready with ALL of the visa documents you need for the long term visa of your choosing BEFORE September 26" is a typo/wrong, it seems to need to be 2 weeks before that. 

If anyone is able to translate the letter I shared yesterday that might be an important key to the puzzle. 

Yeah, I also think that part was a typo.  But the documents are definitely needed to show Immi that you are prepared to file them for a long-term visa, and NOT a short-term extension.  Obviously this person now needs to file their application prior 11-Sept to have enough time for it to be processed by 26-Sept.

Edited by audaciousnomad
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Obviously this person now needs to file their application prior 11-Sept to have enough time for it to be processed by 26-Sept.

Not obvious if they entered on a non immigrant visa and do not require change of status step.  Normal one year extension can be applied for on last day of legal entry (and often a few days beyond).

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Not obvious if they entered on a non immigrant visa and do not require change of status step.  Normal one year extension can be applied for on last day of legal entry (and often a few days beyond).

The very beginning of her post, she indicated that she is transitioning from a Tourist Visa into a Long-Term.

5 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

The very beginning of her post, she indicated that she is transitioning from a Tourist Visa into a Long-Term.

Did not mean in that case - but just that it can not be taken by itself by others as hard as fast for anyone.  Sorry I was not clear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Another Unicorn has been spotted, this time catering for those on a ME Non Imm O marriage Visa that already used their 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting their way, and are unable to meet the financial requirements for a 1-year extension of stay.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1180136-non-o-visa-who-dont-have-400k-what-are-the-options/?do=findComment&comment=15766168

Two reports of IOs (one being Sakhon Nakhon) that confirmed to those in that situation that they would be accepting ADDITIONAL applications for 60-days extensions of stay as long as the borders are closed.

Hopefully this practice is not confined to these two IOs but will spread to other IOs too as the 26 September Amnesty expire date approaches.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I wonder how many on an expired Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa will make use of it.  There are only 6 working days left before the 11 September dead-line. 

Well, if I understand correctly, Non-O is for either visiting Thai family or volunteering, right?  So, there will be very few making use of it...especially since bona fide volunteering foundations are few and far between right now.  Also, unless a bunch of "tourists" are rushing to get married to their newfound Thai gf that they got to know during the covid lockdown! ????

Edited by audaciousnomad

4 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Well, if I understand correctly, Non-O is for either visiting Thai family or volunteering, right?  So, there will be very few making use of it...especially since bona fide volunteering foundations are few and far between right now.  Also, unless a bunch of "tourists" are rushing to get married to their newfound Thai gf that they got to know during the covid lockdown! ????

You understand wrong - "O" means "other reason" so covers most people not working or in education.  It covers everyone married to Thai and those retired here (either O or O-A).

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You understand wrong - "O" means "other reason" so covers most people not working or in education.  It covers everyone married to Thai and those retired here (either O or O-A).

I see. Thanks. I did not equate OA the same as O.
This site treats O, and OA as separate categories.
https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-visa-category-o/

7 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

You did not understand correctly.

That Free Stamp is ONLY meant for those that entered Thailand on a Visa Exempt of Tourist Visa, and are looking for ways to legitimately stay longer by applying for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa and subsequent 1-year extension of stay.  The Non Imm O Visa category type can be for various reasons (as long as you meet the requirements), e.g. for reason of marriage, retirement, thai dependant children, ED, etc...

But you are right that there will be very few making use of it, because Immigration has NOT communicated anything about it, and there are ONLY six working-days left to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (and at those offices where they require 23 days, the deadline is TOMORROW). 

Just now, audaciousnomad said:

I see. Thanks. I did not equate OA the same as O.
This site treats O, and OA as separate categories.
https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-visa-category-o/

The O-A is "Other" "Approved 1 year stay" rather than the normal 90 day stay of a non immigrant visa.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Another Unicorn has been spotted, this time catering for those on a ME Non Imm O marriage Visa that already used their 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting their way, and are unable to meet the financial requirements for a 1-year extension of stay.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1180136-non-o-visa-who-dont-have-400k-what-are-the-options/?do=findComment&comment=15766168

Two reports of IOs (one being Sakhon Nakhon) that confirmed to those in that situation that they would be accepting ADDITIONAL applications for 60-days extensions of stay as long as the borders are closed.

Hopefully this practice is not confined to these two IOs but will spread to other IOs too as the 26 September Amnesty expire date approaches.

Anyone do multiple 60 day extensions like this at CW? 

This would take a huge load of stress off of me if possible. I also do not see any reason on earth why this would not be possible, considering the situation. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

I also do not see any reason on earth why this would not be possible, considering the situation. 

Because the official police order defining the details of extension says that this extension is possible only once per entry.

I doubt that they will ignore this limitation at CW.

• Like 1

"This would take a huge load of stress off of me if possible. I also do not see any reason on earth why this would not be possible, considering the situation"

Can't see that happening.

Also people that have ME marriage have had ample time to move to non o marriage and obtain annual extension.

The financials are not that difficult.

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Because the official police order defining the details of extension says that this extension is possible only once per entry.

I doubt that they will ignore this limitation at CW.

That is an order written at a time when it was assumed borders would be open to travel. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, utalkin2me said:

That is an order written at a time when it was assumed borders would be open to travel. 

Understood. However, no revised police order has been issued since the borders closed. Unless corruption is involved, officials are anal about following orders as it is not worth their while to risk their jobs unless there is compensation for the risks they are running.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for the report!

So, it looks like the fabled Unicorn free Stamp does indeed exist and is hiding - as most Unicorns do - in unexpected places.

With tons of hoops and red tape as per usual when it comes to Thai Immigration.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

With tons of hoops and red tape as per usual when it comes to Thai Immigration.

Attached a link to a report of somebody on a Tourist Visa enquiring today at Ubon Ratchathani IO for a regular 30-day extension which will be provided without any problems and will even start on 27 September.  Good to know that there are still some IOs where the regular IO rules/regulations are still applicable (as they should).

> https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1180274-i-got-my-30-days-extension-denied-today/?do=findComment&comment=15770391

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 3:53 PM, NanLaew said:

Unless I have missed something in the interim, this email in the OP and this letter still only applies to Americans?

Went to IO yesterday, and was told to get a letter from my embassy, and they would extend my visa 30 days, starting from the 26th. unfortunately the Norwegian embassy does not want to give this letter asking for an extension due to the pandemic... Even tho Thai immigration are doing this, actually showing some understanding for us having families/young children here by gracefully giving this option, the Norwegian embassy is more than happy to split families up for no reason.. We will see if they turn around after the Norwegian media has been told about this, like many already know, the Norwegian children-services has been convicted tons of times over these last few years by the European court system in Haag for splitting children from there parents for no valid reason, here they are doing it again, seems to be something the Norwegian government like to do, just to prove their power over their citizens! The Norwegian government is such a disgrace, you guys should be happy you arent from this <deleted>ty little country of mine..! 

• Like 1