New from US Embassy: "Official extension stamp" to change to long-term visa

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi @FarFlungFalang and @IraqRon,

If the information provided by the US Embassy is indeed correct (till now there has not been ANY official Immigration announcement about this),  there is NO NEED for an Embassy letter to get the 'Free Stamp' at your local IO.  That Free Stamp seems to regularize your Amnesty extension and 'magically' transform it in a valid permission to stay till 26 September.

Based on that valid permission to stay you would then be able to apply for a long-term stay Visa (or 1-year extension of stay, even though that is not explicitly mentioned in the US Embassy e-mail).

In post #138 < see attached below > @greggraham posted a picture of how that Free Stamp looks, so it looks like this has been silently rolled-out already to IOs and that it is just a matter of requesting it. 

Note: I have refrained from commenting in this post about the absolute lack of communication from Immigration re this important issue.

If I go to cw immigration and show them that photo of that "free stamp", are they going to know what i am talking about? 

Edited by utalkin2me
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

If I go to cw immigration and show them that photo of that "free stamp", are they going to know what i am talking about? 

I have no idea whether they will be in the know, and therefor the only way of finding out in the absence of any Immigration announcement on this, are people enquiring about it at their local IO and reporting back.  In case the english language skills of the Immigration officer are fine, also the post #1 US Embassy e-mail would be helpful which in section 2 addresses this Free Stamp.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I have no idea whether they will be in the know, and therefor the only way of finding out in the absence of any Immigration announcement on this, are people enquiring about it at their local IO and reporting back.  In case the english language skills of the Immigration officer are fine, also the post #1 US Embassy e-mail would be helpful which in section 2 addresses this Free Stamp.

I have been planning to go on Tuesday. Happily will report if I go. 

Questions I have... does my wife need to be there (probably can't go if she does). What exactly do I need? Take everything is wise but I was just wondering. Maybe too early to answer. 

2 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

I have been planning to go on Tuesday. Happily will report if I go. 

Questions I have... does my wife need to be there (probably can't go if she does). What exactly do I need? Take everything is wise but I was just wondering. Maybe too early to answer. 

What's your current situation and plan?

You mention wife. Did you last enter on ME marriage and plan to obtain a non O marriage and from that annual extension?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What's your current situation and plan?

You mention wife. Did you last enter on ME marriage and plan to obtain a non O marriage and from that annual extension?

Non O ME Marriage long ago invalid (April I think), last entry on this ME. 

Used 60 day extension. 

Have 400k seasoning in Thai bank as of July 20.

Would like one year extension on non o. 

I never planned to do a one year extension until around a month ago. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Since you used your 60 day extension to visit wife already then this stamp (seems to exist need more reports) is exactly what you need. You can then apply for non o marriage and followed by annual extension.

It says in that post #1 to apply for 1-year extension before Sept 11. My funds season on Sept 20. 

Are they going to give me an extra month, based on what the initial post says? Maybe that is what the extra month is for, to let people's funds season? I am not sure how those relate: the 30 day extension and the stamp to Sept 26. Are they separate, or will those always come together as a package (stamp to sept 26 plus an extra month after the 26th)?

Edited by utalkin2me

4 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

It says in that post #1 to apply for 1-year extension before Sept 11. My funds season on Sept 20. 

Obtain your non o marriage. 

The 2 month seasoning is needed for the annual extension that follows later.

6 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

You would only need it if your local IO is not willing to handle your application for an extension of stay (be it short-term or long-term) because of you not being on a 'valid' permission to stay and presently on an Amnesty extension.

It seems that this silently rolled out procedure will now allow those in that situation to get their applications for an extension of stay approved.

>> Reports of those getting that Free Stamp and then using it to apply for an extension of stay from the 'valid' permission to stay it provides, would be very welcome as there is NO official Immigration Announcement confirming this procedure.

My local IO does only 90 day reporting.For extensions I have to go to Chiang Mai city

about 150km from where I live to get a extension. I will call in at my local IO on Monday                with a copy of the free stamp just to see what they say. Also if I get the 2 month extension based

on marriage can I  changed this to a retirement 1 year visa with 800,000 in my account,on my

next extension?

36 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Also if I get the 2 month extension based

on marriage can I  changed this to a retirement 1 year visa with 800,000 in my account,on my

next extension?

It is a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

You could apply for a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon retirement near the end of the 60 days.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

My local IO does only 90 day reporting.For extensions I have to go to Chiang Mai city

about 150km from where I live to get a extension. I will call in at my local IO on Monday                with a copy of the free stamp just to see what they say. Also if I get the 2 month extension based

next extension?

Yes, before making a trip of 150 km to your CM IO, better enquire beforehand at your local sub-office about the requirements (they might have to call CM IO if that sub-office only does 90-day reports).

I presume that you are presently on a ME Non Imm O marriage Visa and that you not yet used up your 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your thai wife.

> In that case you FIRST need to know whether CM IO would be willing to handle your application for that 60-day extension of stay, you now being on the Amnesty.

And if so whether they would be willing at the end of the 60 days to then accept your 1-year extension of stay application with 400K seasoned for 2 months on your personal thai bank-account, from that 60 day permission to stay.

The above would be 'normal' procedure, but if CM insists that you need to be on a 'valid' extension of stay to apply for the 60-day OR 1-year extension of stay, the Free Stamp to regularize your situation would solve that issue.  Considering the distance to CM IO from where you live, you would in that case best plan to do the Free Stamp and application for the 60-days extension of stay at same time.  And you should of course also have to transfer the 400K to your personal thai bank-account PRIOR to applying for the 60-day extension, otherwise you won't be able to have it seasoned for the full 2 months required when applying for your subsequent 1-year extension of stay.

Note: You can apply for the 1-year extension of stay for reason of marriage (400K seasoned for 2 months on date of application), or you can apply for reason of retirement (800K seasoned for 2 months on date of application).

If you you meet the requirements for a marriage extension, the lower financials required would make that the obvious choice over the retirement extension).

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, before making a trip of 150 km to your CM IO, better enquire beforehand at your local sub-office about the requirements (they might have to call CM IO if that sub-office only does 90-day reports).

I presume that you are presently on a ME Non Imm O marriage Visa and that you not yet used up your 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your thai wife.

> In that case you FIRST need to know whether CM IO would be willing to handle your application for that 60-day extension of stay, you now being on the Amnesty.

And if so whether they would be willing at the end of the 60 days to then accept your 1-year extension of stay application with 400K seasoned for 2 months on your personal thai bank-account, from that 60 day permission to stay.

The above would be 'normal' procedure, but if CM insists that you need to be on a 'valid' extension of stay to apply for the 60-day OR 1-year extension of stay, the Free Stamp to regularize your situation would solve that issue.  Considering the distance to CM IO from where you live, you would in that case best plan to do the Free Stamp and application for the 60-days extension of stay at same time.  And you should of course also have to transfer the 400K to your personal thai bank-account PRIOR to applying for the 60-day extension, otherwise you won't be able to have it seasoned for the full 2 months required when applying for your subsequent 1-year extension of stay.

Note: You can apply for the 1-year extension of stay for reason of marriage (400K seasoned for 2 months on date of application), or you can apply for reason of retirement (800K seasoned for 2 months on date of application).

If you you meet the requirements for a marriage extension, the lower financials required would make that the obvious choice over the retirement extension).

I am not making the trip to CMC just now and I already have done the 90 day reporting at

my local IO. so on Monday I will see if they do the free stamp here,at the local IO in my

town.They  told me to go to CMC to do the 2 month extension as I live in CM but a long way

from CMC. Also my 400/800k is not seasoned yet, need the 2 months.My question is

do I need this stamp that has not been made public and that many people don't know about?

And if I leave early to get the extension and there is another amnesty I went for nothing. I would

like to win just once.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pontious said:

I am not affected by this but am surprised no US citizen has not contacted the Embassy to ask what is going on. It was posted Thursday morning. Maybe they have.

The information was "supplied verbally to the the U.S. Embassy on Aug 25th by Thai immigration authorities".  That was last Tuesday, and then ,the e-mail for US Embassy Facebook subscribers was issued, the content of which was posted Thursday morning on the Forum.

With NO announcement by Immigration about the procedure (nor a withdrawal of the info by the US Embassy), we are in limbo.  So eagerly awaiting reports from those contacting their IOs about this mystery Free Stamp....

Edited by Peter Denis

1 hour ago, pontious said:

I am not affected by this but am surprised no US citizen has not contacted the Embassy to ask what is going on. It was posted Thursday morning. Maybe they have.

Yep I agree. Or more people calling their local IO. I guess Monday / Tuesday we'll hear more reports. 

I emailed the British embassy, no reply yet. And my contact at my IO hadn't heard anything about the 'official extension stamp' as of yesterday (but we are about as far from the big wigs in Bangkok as you can get).

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, WhateverDude said:

My companion and I tried to get the stamp at immigration in Samut Prakan yesterday. The officer we spoke with told us that we don't need it and they weren't even giving them. We just needed to get a letter from the embassy then come back with it and we would get a 30-day extension starting from September 27th.

You would only need the stamp if you want to extend from previous entry or convert for extension from previous entry that had been extended by amnesty.  If just want another 30 days the embassy letter and immigration good will is what is required.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2020 at 2:40 AM, KayH said:

I do have the letter and I'll take it with me but according to the embassy email, it's not needed simply to get the stamp to 26 September. Wish me luck. Yesterday, I went with so much hope, only to be spurned. ???? Definitely will update here.

Hi @KayH > Can you please update on your Friday experience at MTT, and IOs response on whether the Free Stamp is indeed an option or that the US Embassy totally misunderstood.  Thanks!