Thailand Has Excellent COVID-19 Screening System

snoop1130

19 hours ago, cmarshall said:

I think the Thai numbers must be substantially correct.  If the hospitals were clogged with Covid patients we would know.  No one I know in Thailand knows anyone who has been infected with Covid, much less anyone who died of it.  We also know now that wearing masks gives a substantial benefit in restricting the spread of the virus and the Thais have been wearing masks religiously since the outbreak.

For some of the expats here their most deeply held conviction is of the utter inferiority of everything Thai, especially compared to the West.  In fact, the public health system in Thailand is quite good.  Do you think the S. Koreans, Taiwanese, Vietnamese, New Zealanders, Greeks and others are all lying?

Thais have been wearing masks religiously. They always are wearing masks, they call it smile.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/28/2020 at 9:15 AM, tlandtday said:

Why don't you show the total tests for thailand vs the rest of the world and you will find your answer.

Exactly, Bolivia has twice as many tests per/mil than Thailand for god sakes....

12 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Because it has an incubation period.  Not rocket science.  That's why during quarantine everyone is tested twice - on the 5th day and on the 13th day.

So the fit to fly certificate is largely a waste of time then?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hotchilli said:
13 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Because it has an incubation period.  Not rocket science.  That's why during quarantine everyone is tested twice - on the 5th day and on the 13th day.

So the fit to fly certificate is largely a waste of time then?

The fit to fly certificate has been around for years, not specifically to do with covid. My sister-in-law needed one more than five years ago because she was six months pregnant.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, possum1931 said:

it is not dumb pal, and it is very expensive.

"if they just opened the country and had the hotels full of tourists"?? 

I was under the impression that most hotels were either closed or had a very low occupancy, hence the need for some method of getting customers, and where better if there are connections and brown envelopes going around for ASQs.

On 8/29/2020 at 11:02 AM, Yinn said:

many countrys have many flaw, conspiracy loon, anti maskers, anti vaxxers, protesters, riots, statues, right wing QAnon, left wing snowflake etc etc. 

= million will be dead

thailand trust them?? No way. 

Life again is relax in Ranong. We have ZERO case. Diligent= success.

>sarcasm turned on<

I know now, why you became Poster of the Year!

Because you are so godamn funny!

>sarcasm turned of<

• Like 1

23 hours ago, hotchilli said:

If flyers have to have "fit to fly certificates" and are tested before boarding, why are so many found to be infected when they enter Thailand?

Because  as far as I heard_ Thais don't need to be tested on the repatriation flights!

Fun fact!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, DavisH said:

What is your evidence of the existence of active coronavirus cases in Thailand? That's right. You have nothing. You are just another moaning farang. Please leave Thailand and do NOT return.

Yes my beloved Thai- overlords!I

I will praise and obey you!

I am one of the 98% who believe that Thailand is soooo much better than any other country in the world!

Here...my receipt, that proves, that I left my brain at the immigration!

If you don't like it go home!

Dont think!

Obey!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Fit to fly means they can return here and then go straight into quarantine.  During quarantine everyone - Thais and foreigners - have two Covid tests.  One on the 5th day, one on the 13th day.

So it is pretty comprehensive and much stricter than most countries.  Sorry.

I have no opinion as to whether the protocol is medically sound or not. I was simply pointing out that the Minister's claim in the OP - that all passengers are tested for Covid before boarding flights to Thailand - is false.

Edited by khunjeff

32 minutes ago, The Barmbeker said:

Because  as far as I heard_ Thais don't need to be tested on the repatriation flights!

Fun fact!

So now you can just make things up and call it a fun fact can you? 

Thais need a fit to fly certificate to board a flight home, just the same as foreigners. Thais are also driven straight to do 14 days government quarantine as soon as they arrive, during which they will have two Covid tests, just the same as foreigners. They have to pay for it too - the same price as foreigners pay. 

Please don't post lies and call them facts. 

Edit:  I misread your post.  You are correct, Thais need a Fit To Fly certificate but they don't need a Covid test prior to flying.  

Edited by josephbloggs

5 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Thais need a fit to fly certificate to board a flight home, just the same as foreigners. Thais are also driven straight to do 14 days government quarantine as soon as they arrive, during which they will have two Covid tests, just the same as foreigners. They have to pay for it too - the same price as foreigners pay. 

Yet foreigners need to be tested for COVID before the flight and Thais don't have to!

And that is A FACT!

Have a nice sunday!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:
20 minutes ago, The Barmbeker said:

Fun fact!

What he stated is correct. Thais do NOT need a Covid test before taking a repat flight, whereas foreigners do. Those are facts. 

This country control covid already. 

Yes, absolutely, Yinn, like Burundi, Papua New Guinea, Tanzania, Lesotho and Burkina Faso, amazing low numbers of deaths and of course, totally unrelated, amazingly low number of testing.

But thousands of excess deaths strangely.

But sure, total control, Yinn. Total control.

????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sungod said:

Why do you think that is?

Oh...I know this one!

Because Thais are better people then those dirty foreigners!

Or: foreign doctors just don't know enough about Thai- biology!

Otherwise: you tell me!

Because foreigners AND Thai will go into 14 day quaranteen!

So why is one group allowed on a plane WITHOUT test, while the other has to cough up cash to get a useless certificate?

1 hour ago, Saint Nick said:

Oh...I know this one!

So why is one group allowed on a plane WITHOUT test, while the other has to cough up cash to get a useless certificate?

Simple, Thailand is repatriating their nationals, they cant say no. They can say no however to importing cases with non nationals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Nick said:

Oh...I know this one!

I was just waiting for someone to take the bait.  Didn't take long.

Thailand can not refuse to allow its own nationals to return, just as any another country cannot legally keep its own citizens out (you are even allowed to return with an expired passport).

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 1:39 AM, cmarshall said:

I think the Thai numbers must be substantially correct.  If the hospitals were clogged with Covid patients we would know.  No one I know in Thailand knows anyone who has been infected with Covid, much less anyone who died of it.  We also know now that wearing masks gives a substantial benefit in restricting the spread of the virus and the Thais have been wearing masks religiously since the outbreak.

For some of the expats here their most deeply held conviction is of the utter inferiority of everything Thai, especially compared to the West.  In fact, the public health system in Thailand is quite good.  Do you think the S. Koreans, Taiwanese, Vietnamese, New Zealanders, Greeks and others are all lying?

I don't know anyone in the UK who has died from or has had C19 - You would not have thought that given the hype...…. (indeed I work for an international organisation with folk in at lease 40 countries and again the same applies) - Also, the nightingale hospitals have not been used - and hospitals are far from being "clogged up" - but yet the UK has been spouting out figures and as I have said before - Countries seem to have adopted their own policies for counting C19 cases and deaths - as others have logically stated - if no testing then stats are less than meaningless - Even US A&E doctors have gone public and urged the Government to stop forcing them conclude that folk have died from C19 (by completion or a death cert where it says if in doubt state C19) 

4 minutes ago, DaveCW said:
On 8/29/2020 at 7:39 AM, cmarshall said:

I don't know anyone in the UK who has died from or has had C19 - You would not have thought that given the hype...…. (indeed I work for an international organisation with folk in at lease 40 countries and again the same applies) - Also, the nightingale hospitals have not been used - and hospitals are far from being "clogged up" - but yet the UK has been spouting out figures and as I have said before - Countries seem to have adopted their own policies for counting C19 cases and deaths - as others have logically stated - if no testing then stats are less than meaningless - Even US A&E doctors have gone public and urged the Government to stop forcing them conclude that folk have died from C19 (by completion or a death cert where it says if in doubt state C19) 

In a BBC news report (on UK TV in late May) it was reported that at the peak of the ‘outbreak’ in the UK ICU beds were utilised at a maximum of 30% capacity  - the average for a conventional year is 15%.

Obviously this is a national average and some areas would have seen higher capacity with other area’s of lower or no capacity.

I’m not sure what the ICU capacity is in Thailand - but there are 1318 hospitals across the country - unless the numbers of Covid-19 cases serious enough to require medical care were in the region of 100,000 it would be difficult to notice excessive numbers. 

--------

The Maths

100,000 cases 

10 months (Jan to August). 10,000 cases per month. 

1318 hospitals = 7.6 cases per month per hospital.

I’m not saying this is what happened, but highlighting how seemingly large numbers can be masked by the reality that Thailand is a large country, with a large population and large number of hospitals which would not have been overwhelmed.

• Thanks 2