Plan on the table to allow Europe’s ‘snowbirds’ into Thailand for up to 9 months

webfact

9 hours ago, samsensam said:

Then they’d be clear to roam around the island for their third week. After 3 weeks on the island the visitors would be free to travel to other parts of Thailand.

how are they going to know which tourists are which? which tourists have been in thailand for more than 3 weeks? which foreigners are tourists and which foreigners are long term residents, retirees, employees? will they have police checks all over the country continually stopping and checking foreigners? it's a mad plan.

Very easy to do with an app.

Thailand should think about all the foreigners ready to relocate to Thailand and for long term.

A 9 months Visa is not enough:

- 3 weeks in jail for only 8 free months ?

- people wont settle in Thailand and purchase a property for only 9 months. Thailand has to reward them with a new kind of visa 1 year + 1 year extension

The world has gone crazy and has changed for a very long time, it's time to Thailand to think about:

- new kind of visas,

- they have to ease the 1 year extensions of 50 years old and married visas that live in Thailand for dozen of years. Those people who stay in Thailand during the covid-19 have to be better accepted in the thai society.

• Like 1

More hare-brained ideas

Just open the borders, it is less deadly than flu , less than 10,000 covid confirmed cases in US CDC figures.

Let people live, there have been enough peoples lives destroye, you are a Govt for the people, unless you are following the Globalists at UN , surely all this is not for climate change ? be open because it certainly is not about a virus...

1 minute ago, John CS said:

More hare-brained ideas

Just open the borders, it is less deadly than flu , less than 10,000 covid confirmed cases in US CDC figures.

Let people live, there have been enough peoples lives destroye, you are a Govt for the people, unless you are following the Globalists at UN , surely all this is not for climate change ? be open because it certainly is not about a virus...

It’s headlines news today when one British lady is tested positive. 
They aren’t mentally ready to open up up anything. 

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

A simple un-hoopy un-quarantining apart from in my house, inexpensive return to my wife would be a nice plan

Totally agree. Not seen my family since Jan 5th and get no help whatsoever from Thai Embassy in London nor Brit Embassy in Bangkok (no surprises there!).

I, along with thousands upon thousands of others i've no doubt, will not set foot in thailand whilst we have to quarantine.

Ditch the quarantine and thailand will be up and running in no time.

I do however concede it's not that simple given the current climate but thats the brutal truth.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ty Hareways said:

I, along with thousands upon thousands of others i've no doubt, will not set foot in thailand whilst we have to quarantine.

Ditch the quarantine and thailand will be up and running in no time.

I do however concede it's not that simple given the current climate but thats the brutal truth.

Yes. I get 3 weeks holiday from my work and they expect me to quarantine (at my own expense) for 2 of them. Allow me to quarantine at home. I want to see my family, not go walkabout.

10 hours ago, expat1010 said:

What a joke. Most western tourists and snowbirds are not going to jump thru stupid hoops just to come to Thailand. Sure the Chinese, Koreans and Japanese will but they are very close by. The westerners will just go somewhere else that is easier and warm; Columbia, Panama, Bahamas, Dominican, Cuba, Red Sea, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Cabo etc.. There are lots of warm places with beaches as nice or nicer than Thailand. I suspect many will just stay home and tough it out this winter until a vaccine becomes available.

and not only that :

Seems, TAT and the Government should go back to school again and learn a little bit about geography:

Europe is not only about ice, snow, skiing and shopping !

Portugal has great food, nice wines, historic places and landscapes. If going to its South, eg. Faro, Albufeira, also a nice climate compared to northern Europe.

And: low number of Covid deaths, no quarantine, no restrictions, relatively cheap, only cheap 1-2 hours flights, no problems to return, within the EU ....

8 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

and not only that :

Seems, TAT and the Government should go back to school again and learn a little bit about geography:

Europe is not only about ice, snow, skiing and shopping !

Portugal has great food, nice wines, historic places and landscapes. If going to its South, eg. Faro, Albufeira, also a nice climate compared to northern Europe.

And: low number of Covid deaths, no quarantine, no restrictions, relatively cheap, only cheap 1-2 hours flights, no problems to return, within the EU ....

Or just to add a more exotic “European” destination:

La Reunion -east of Madagascar-  is an French overseas “departement”, therefore administrative wise: part of the EU. 

Flight duration similar to Thailand, ca. 11 hours, return flight from Paris Orly: 408 €.

Edited by BernieOnTour

Interesting development. A 9 months visa would be perfect for many of us, I go to my home country many months per year too.

For now the best course of action for me and others who already applied for the Elite card, seems to be to wait it out with the payment until the end of September, which is the deadline to get 6 months extra.

It seems with every day, they destroy the economy more and other visa options become more likely. Options that do offer more flexibility as it used to be "pay as you go" with visa matters.

I have been away from Thailand since February. I missed it but not anymore. Too much time has passed now. I will do the quarantine once - if it is still in place after 7 out of 9 months of such a visa, it is time to pack the full bag before leaving next time.

• Like 2

“Many seniors don’t want to spend their time in a cold harsh winter. They want tropical weather.”

many people don’t want to pay thousands to be locked in quarentine for 2 weeks.

once again overestimating how desperate people are to return... they aren’t. 

it seems like you have to choose public health or the economy. You can’t have both right now clearly. 

let us in, let us run riot. I dare ya. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

New simple plan - keep them out as currently or resume normal operating procedure...

Enough of this BS planning...start with 3 week quarantine in Phuket and then only allow up to 9 months yet paying for a one year visa? 

tell me again why tourists are dying to come to thailand rather Vietnam or Indonesia?

@cardinalblue isn't vietnam and indonesia shut as well?

• Like 1

This  Gov  and it  tourist proposals  is  getting like a  kindergarden  romp

They  are  a  joke  to the rest of the world  

dreamers  unbelievable 

Yes  warm  weather  is nice   but Thailand is  not warm it is bloody  hot  

many  more  places in the world without the  hassels  of entry into Thailand  

Why  not  just  give up  Thailand  

Join  with  China become another provence  and be done with it  

This  stuff  is turning me off even  ready  Thai news  anymore

Total  garbage 

Sooner   the Thai  people replace  this Gov the  better  the hope of recovery  will be  

Sorry   But Very True 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, belfast3 said:

As one of these people, I'd happily jump on a plane to Thailand, providing:

1. No pro-flight covid tests and paperwork – too much stress & hassle arranging all this and the there's no guarantee the test will be returned in time. There's no chance I'm shelling out £1000s for flights and ASQ at the risk of not even getting on the plane. I can hop on a plane anywhere in the EU tomorrow without any of this BS. 

2. No ASQ and weekly covid-tests, although happy to self-isolated in my condo and participate in track & trace.

As much as I love Thailand and have ties there, it's just way too much hassle.

There will be more people in this category than the one they are proposing if they only open their eyes. 

It’s all about the money. Their proposal squeezes even more out..........even if only a handful use it. Thai logic I guess 

10 hours ago, ukrules said:

Aus and NZ have travel restrictions I believe - they're not allowed to leave which is nuts!

Not sure where you're getting that from - there is no restriction on people leaving Australia or New Zealand. They both have restrictions on people coming in however - basically only their own citizens or permanent residents are allowed in (plus others in a few special categories, like diplomats).

• Haha 1

The ‘longer’ short-term visa would offer a partial lease of life to the country’s tourism and hospitality industries – both almost obliterated after 5 months without any foreign visitors.

At least they're finally thinking about loosening up their visa policy a bit...

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

A simple un-hoopy un-quarantining apart from in my house, inexpensive return to my wife would be a nice plan

RichardColeman, that would be too easy, but we can dream. I think I will be in UK for Christmas and won't have seen my partner for over a year. Everybody is losing.

Is this government really serious about destroying the country's economy for a flu-like virus?

Millions of thai right now have already or gonna lose their jobs soon due to the lack of tourism.

My girlfriend who works in a restaurant in bangkok. has just been laid off by her boss due to the lack of customers.

Now she has no choice but to go back to her hometown.

I really feel like the whole world is overreacting to this "pandemic". 

The lives lost due to covid will be nothing in comparison to what is coming ahead, which is the millions of people who are going to lose their jobs, ending up starving or committing suicide. This is <deleted> up.

Dr. Boon claimed his company had been contacted by European retirement communities that could realize up to 50,000 seniors heading to Thailand for the coming northern winter.

Does the good doctor understand the risk of getting severely ill from Covid increases as you get older? A high % of Covid-19 related deaths reported in the United States and many European countries have been among adults aged 60-65 years and older.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/history-of-pandemics-deadliest/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/05/compare-coronavirus-reponse-excess-deaths-rates/

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/jul/15/facebook-posts/dont-trust-comparison-daily-coronavirus-deaths-oth/

Look carefully the numbers and see that, in fact,

1/ all the countries who doesn't count to much doesn't get to much cases

2/ the virus power is going lower and lower because people who die because of the infection is in big diminution (by 10)

3/ Compared to other pandemic, we should be able to be prudent and calm down our reaction to not kill more people by break the economy and create poverty

4/ When a reaction is terribly bigger (if not excessive) in proportion than an event justify it, it is a clear factual proof of a panic situation.

5/ in each panic situation, in each fear, there is some lobbyist who care about to profit with this low intelligence reaction, because it is much more easy to profit about terrified people. We know that the fear is the first best easy way to manipulate opinion.

I predict that right now, the COVID-19 is no more a pandemic (it was, due to his specificity to propagate himself so quickly, so easy), but right now, a case of world wide historical big panic.

Stop to panic, instruct yourself, be brave and proud, don't let people be stolen by crooks who, all the time, will profit of this low level fear comportment for there own benefit.

Right now also, the fact that there is no normal cost solution provided from people who know daily life price can be seen as a blackmail due to the situation. It is clear to observe and analyze textual reported speach.

They said that: "they want tourism back Thailand" and that "they want to stay safe". I also consider this panic situation make them said a thing and do an other.
It is like if i said: "i want to work strong to make money more" and "i don't want to be tired, and pain my body".
There is always a risk to do something... but depend of the real situation, it is not a risky choice.
So i don't know if they know it is no more a pandemic situation and then, lie to us... or if they are still in panic situation where the brain can not run normally (and sure, many other around should profit about their influential state near feared people but also powered people).

• Like 2