Plan on the table to allow Europe’s ‘snowbirds’ into Thailand for up to 9 months

webfact

28 minutes ago, steve187 said:

but coming from a high risk country, you are like a diseased animal, if you must travel then expect some restrictions

get a long term visa, no need for border runs then, i think the days of repeated border runs to stay long term in Thailand are numbered, plenty of options for long term visas for people that are allowed.

The topic is letting in shorter term people who spend a lot of money. Don’t  you get it?? Only a pig would use a term “diseased animal “ get a grip man. Anyone who can come here 14 days plus 7 and test neg is the same as anyone else and better than anyone who has been living in Thailand untested. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

The thing is, many snowbirds have a retirement extension

I disagree. I think the METV fit snowbirds like  myself like a glove. Averaging 5-8 months in Thailand and the rest elsewhere. So easy to get and no other BS. Maybe 1 or 2 trips outside Thailand briefly during the visa term to see a new or a favorite country nearby. 

it could be doable IF they gave a 50% discount at the hotels during the 1st 3 weeks you'd be locked down on the island. Also would help if they set beach barriers for the beach front hotels for the quarantined "guests" so it didn't seem so much like prison. The old people they're after don't do a lot of bar things anyway and are only coming for some warm, beach time.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Airways International said it would operate at least two such flights a month starting in late November to connect Phuket with countries including Denmark, Germany and the UK.

So it would appear that saving tourism doesn't involve opening the borders.

Instead the latest plan to bring tourism back from its coma...hinges on recruiting (luring) enough insanely wealthy, confinement-mad retirees to hopefully fill two European flights a month...slapped together by a bankrupt airline.

This whole tourism-recovery thing may take a while.

Edited by Hayduke
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, samsensam said:

Then they’d be clear to roam around the island for their third week. After 3 weeks on the island the visitors would be free to travel to other parts of Thailand.

how are they going to know which tourists are which? which tourists have been in thailand for more than 3 weeks? which foreigners are tourists and which foreigners are long term residents, retirees, employees? will they have police checks all over the country continually stopping and checking foreigners? it's a mad plan.

I doubt but maybe they watch how many have apply visa for long stay. Maybe they put foreigner in computer in boder in/out. If they do that, they have easy data what tell what needed! 

15 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

I'm Lost !! What is a Snowbird ? is it a racist name for white people ? 

A snowbird is a person who migrates from the colder northern parts of North America to warmer southern locales, typically during the winter. ... Snowbirds used to primarily be retired or older, but are increasingly of all ages. 

4 hours ago, Kadilo said:

A prisoner for 2 weeks stuck in a hotel, let out for a weeks Parole all at your expense, not forgetting the testing. Then you can (Hopefully) finally make it to your destination. 

Isn't it better for there to be a way in rather than none at all.

Reality is you can't always have what you want, there are other people involved and the health of local population should take priority.

• Like 2

I thought they only wanted the rich to fly in on their lear jets! Why the change? Why would anyone want to come to Thailand, to be mistreated by immigration? To be charged double? To be bored to death? The land of frowns is dead! It is starting to look like the ghetto in Pattaya!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Another day, another plan.

One day people will wake up to the fact that, despite self accredited expertise, there is no silver bullet.

The way forward can only come from a variety of measures.

Those that never make mistakes, never make anything.

• Like 1

OK on the 3rd week when you are on parole whats to prevent you catching the virus from someone who just arrived. When tested you will still show negative because you have only just been infected.

You then jump on a plane and make your merry way around Thailand infecting others.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, samsensam said:

Then they’d be clear to roam around the island for their third week. After 3 weeks on the island the visitors would be free to travel to other parts of Thailand.

how are they going to know which tourists are which? which tourists have been in thailand for more than 3 weeks? which foreigners are tourists and which foreigners are long term residents, retirees, employees? will they have police checks all over the country continually stopping and checking foreigners? it's a mad plan.

They have facial recognition for all foreigners now.

Immigration have cars and pick-ups with the cameras mounted on the roof that are constantly tracking all non-Thais when they are driving around.

• Haha 2

This is not a terrible idea and as many have pointed out I am not sure how popular the plan will be. I believe that Thailand is still on the UK list of countries that returnees have to self quarantine at home in the UK when they get back. But for expats and retirees etc, it is workable.

The question I have is what is the response plan, if this goes ahead and then 3 weeks down the line, local transmission starts to pop up in Phuket? Does the whole of Phuket go into lockdown and for how long? Phuket would be totally off limits and that would spell economic disaster for everyone there as not even domestic tours could enter, or would want to enter. Or is it track and trace and state quarantine? 

That question must be answered for the people of Phuket, before this goes ahead. What are the consequences for them if local transmissions occur as a result of the 'Phuket plan'?  

5 minutes ago, jonclark said:

The question I have is what is the response plan, if this goes ahead and then 3 weeks down the line, local transmission starts to pop up in Phuket? Does the whole of Phuket go into lockdown and for how long?

The government need to be able to trumpet the success of this scheme by the end of October so that they can gradually expand the scheme in November and December. It is a fair guess that the big Thai hotel groups have made it clear that the country needs to be slowly wedged open before what is now the most important time of year for them, the Chinese New Year in mid-February.

This is important to the only people who matter in Thailand. Therefore, there will be no local transmission in Phuket.