Internet Back Up Plan Required

Will27

Currently have 3bb cable.

It was down for about 7 hours on Saturday.

The techs said something had eaten through the wiring.

Also get power cuts in the village quite often.

I would like to get something I could use when 3bb is down or the power is off.

Doesn't have to be super quick or anything.

Would just need it for emails, phone calls and to check on sports scores.

I don't have a smart phone but do have a tablet which can take a sim card.

Would it be better just to get a sim for about 300 per month or something like this from AIS?

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=th&u=https://store.ais.co.th/th/ais-4g-hi-speed-pocket-wifi.html&prev=search&pto=aue

I'm not tech savvy and would appreciate any advice.

TIA

3 minutes ago, Pi Tao said:

Internet on phone, day by day, 17 bahts, AIS.

Put your sim card in tablet.

Just get the cheapest sim and put 20 baht on it every few months so they don't cancel it. Also keep the tablet charged up. When the power goes off here I just use my laptop which obviously has a battery, and switch over to the phone's mobile internet hotspot, very easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I would like to get something I could use when 3bb is down or the power is off.

I don't have a smart phone but do have a tablet which can take a sim card.

Just get a SIM for the tablet and make a wifi hotspot from the tablet for your internet devices. No need to pay for monthly SIMs if you just need a back up for the cable going down? I do the same up country and pay for internet access by the day on the SIM, could be as cheap as 9THB. Pay more for faster unlimited daily speeds. The SIM will have an app to pick and choose data plans.

• Thanks 1

1.  UPS will not help circuit outages - but indeed well worth the price for normal short power outage and saving data/equipment.

2.  He has no smart phone and does not want one I suspect.  More power to him.  So sim card and data plan seem to be a viable option on the tablet.  If internet outage of 7 hours is really that big a factor (understand we tied to internet but the world still turns without it for a few hours - then am sure it would stop).???? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

1.  UPS will not help circuit outages - but indeed well worth the price for normal short power outage and saving data/equipment.

2.  He has no smart phone and does not want one I suspect.  More power to him.  So sim card and data plan seem to be a viable option on the tablet.  If internet outage of 7 hours is really that big a factor (understand we tied to internet but the world still turns without it for a few hours - then am sure it would stop).???? 

Thanks for that mate.

TBH, I can usually be without the net for hours at a time.

But it went off on Saturday when my footy team was playing a big game and I wanted to get a score update.

41 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Battery back up is the easiest.

Inverter 3k, battery 5k ...... lasts about 4 hours driving a TV, router & computer.

If you want a longer back up, buy more batteries.

giant ups.jpg

No good if there is no signal going to the router. SIM & hotspot will/should work OK.

5 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Thanks for that mate.

TBH, I can usually be without the net for hours at a time.

But it went off on Saturday when my footy team was playing a big game and I wanted to get a score update.

They lost or won, on penalties.

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Whats the difference between a smart phone and a tablet with a SIM...one is bigger!

1 minute ago, Sambotte said:

Portable Wifi device.

AIS has it. You pay the device, and then refill like for a mobile phone.

Has a battery obviously so you don't have problem with electric cuts (for some hours).

Which is about the same as having a SIM in the tablet.

• Like 1

we have a 'D LInk' back up device with a AIS sim inside it. Cheap to run and not too expensive.  D Link was I think 3,000 Baht. We used it as our primary internet source, running Netfix etc,  for 12 months, until AIS starting buggering us about with their false 'promotions'.  But okay as a back up. Good thing is that it is as small as a mobile, so you can carry it anywhere you get an AIS signal.  A mobile hot spot in other words. Better than a mobile because its cheaper than using your normal phone contract for internet, better deals on a none call sim. 

Edited by Pilotman

8 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

we have a 'D LInk' back up device with a AIS sim inside it. Cheap to run and not too expensive.  D Link was I think 3,000 Baht. We used it as our primary internet source, running Netfix etc,  for 12 months, until AIS starting buggering us about with their false 'promotions'.  But okay as a back up. 

You lost me with D LInk' back up.

Thanks anyway:smile:

Edited by Will27
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Will27 said:

You lost me with D LInk' back up thanks anyway:smile:

D LInk is just a small box, bit like a compact mobile, same size.  All the tech shops and Lazarda  stock them. Sorry I don't have  a pic, as Mrs P has it in one of her handbags and life is just too short to try to find which one among thousands. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

D LInk is just a small box, bit like a compact mobile, same size.  All the tech shops and Lazarda  stock them. Sorry I don't have  a pic, as Mrs P has it in one of her handbags and life is just too short to try to find which one among thousands. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/d-link-mobile-4g-wi-fi-dwr-932c-i1102628280-s2510106423.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-294682000766!c!294682000766!2510106423!121128202&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-a3rkMHE6wIVwbWWCh14BQYzEAQYBSABEgLntPD_BwE

In Finland its only internet conection what i use whit local sim! + my phone put this portable i use in home, summer house and in car. Easy to move every place like

Pilotman says! Also it's more sheap than wire conection In Finland and normaly never loose conection !

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 2 is 1 said:

Really no need to include the tracking options within the link. You can eliminate everything from the question mark onwards; https://www.lazada.co.th/products/d-link-mobile-4g-wi-fi-dwr-932c-i1102628280-s2510106423.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Really no need to include the tracking options within the link. You can eliminate everything from the question mark onwards; https://www.lazada.co.th/products/d-link-mobile-4g-wi-fi-dwr-932c-i1102628280-s2510106423.html

LOl idea was only show the pic! Coz Pilotman dont have picture, dont have any other idea. If had then not use Thai language ???? And there is also many option what kind can buy!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, stouricks said:

No good if there is no signal going to the router. SIM & hotspot will/should work OK.

3bb doesn't go off in power cuts, they have backup batteries in everything.

It's only your router that loses power.

It did go off when my rabbit chewed through the fibre cable though, fixed in less than a day.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Of course it goes off, happened here twice in the last month.

My house had electric, but there was a power cut in the area where the distribution panel is, about 2 km from my house

Batteries only last until they are depleted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

It did go off when my rabbit chewed through the fibre cable though, fixed in less than a day.

So the battery powered 3bb signal is getting to the non-powered router. Then what?

If my rabbit had chewed through my internet cable, it would be fixed in 2 minutes with Kap Kapow Rabbit for supper!

3 hours ago, stouricks said:

Which is about the same as having a SIM in the tablet.

Indeed. Or in your mobile.

For me the goal is to not have to use my mobile for that. 

And it's cheap. I recharge when i want, separately.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, muratremix said:

a UPS can keep your modem alive for 3-4 hours easily (1000 va) and your fiber internet will work during that time.

after that, use mobile internet.

But having modem alive is not much help without a battery powered computer for most of us.  Small home UPS is very good for protecting equipment and data but is not likely to provide too much operating time if powering the computer/monitor.  And as the battery ages that time decreases greatly.

9 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

But having modem alive is not much help without a battery powered computer for most of us.  Small home UPS is very good for protecting equipment and data but is not likely to provide too much operating time if powering the computer/monitor.  And as the battery ages that time decreases greatly.

Why use desktop during an outage when you can use a notebook? Maybe it's time to invest in one.

9 minutes ago, muratremix said:

Why use desktop during an outage when you can use a notebook? Maybe it's time to invest in one.

Or not.  Some of us have no need or desire to trace circles in the sand (or touch screens).  I can not even answer a smart phone 90% of the time as finger swipe does nothing.  Very happy with a real keyboard and mouse.