British woman tests positive for Covid-19 in state quarantine

webfact

British woman tests positive for Covid-19 in state quarantine

By The Nation

800_2fe6b7b7d0fe0cb.jpg?v=1598849137

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) reported one case in state quarantine over a 24-hour period on Monday (August 31), the 98th day without any domestic cases in Thailand since May.

The 29-year-old British language teacher had arrived on August 15 from the United Kingdom and had checked into alternative state quarantine in Bangkok. She tested positive on August 27 with fever and headache symptoms.

The total number of confirmed cases in Thailand stood at 3,412 (475 in state quarantine), of whom 101 are in hospital and 3,252 have recovered and been discharged. The death toll remains unchanged at 58.

According to Worldometer, as of 10am on Monday the total number of confirmed cases globally since the outbreak increased to 25.3 million. Of those, 17.7 million have recovered, while over 850,591 have died so far.

Thailand ranks 121st for most cases in the world, while the US has the most number with 6.17 million, followed by Brazil 3.86 million, India 3.61 million, Russia 990,326 and Peru 647,166.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393774

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-31

26 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

could it be that she catch it on arrival.... 12 days incubation period

I think in Thai quarantine they test two times. First time on the first day and again on the 12th day (not sure if the days are correct). She might have been positive on day 5 but it was not diagnosed until she made the 2nd test.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, law ling said:

She travelled with her husband and daughter - I wonder if they shared a room, or were quaratined in different rooms? And if they were together: if the husband and daughter will now have their quarantine extended.

My understanding that regardless of family status, shared rooms are not allowed in SQ or ASQ.

It's also my understanding that all the other passengers that were on the same repatriation flight will be re-tested and possibly have their quarantine extended too.

17 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Didn't I read that Thais on repatriation flights can board without a covid test beforehand, is was that an urban myth?

My understanding is only foreigners using Thai repatriation flights require to be tested -ve and get the fit-to-fly certificate whereas the Thai pax only need the fit to fly certificate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pantsonfire said:

so the 72 hour test before travel didnt work

You understand why there is quarantine and tests during quarantine right?

Pre-flight test: Self administered or imperfect - Negative result. 

Arrival Test: Negative

Day 5 Test: Negative

Day 12 test: Positive 

It apparently takes 4-5 days (I’m not 100% sure) for Covid-19 to show up on a PCR test after someone has contracted Covid-19

Thus a person could contract Covid-19 and still be negative on a test a few days later. 

Its possible the lady contracted Covid-19 on the flight over, tested negative on day 0 (arrival) and on day 5. 

This is why there is a quarantine of 15 days.

That said: The numbers are so low I think it perfectly acceptable for people to be tested on arrival and quarantine at home. BUT, people will break quarantine - unfortunately the harsh reality of the self-centred population we live in. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, starky said:
1 hour ago, Pottinger said:

No doubt best practice precautions should be taken, but until Thailand gets past its overweening hysteria about every single case of this virus found locally, the country will continue to be lost in a shrinking maze from which there is no escape, even as other parts of the world fitfully begin to open up.

NZ just recorded 2 new cases and went into stage 3 lockdowns. Australia won't let their own citizens leave the country and you think the Thai response is inappropriate? 

That my just highlight NZ and Aus as also having extreme and inappropriate responses. 

The hysteria surrounding this Virus and consequence to the global economy (and local economies) is outrageous. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

My understanding that regardless of family status, shared rooms are not allowed in SQ or ASQ.

It's also my understanding that all the other passengers that were on the same repatriation flight will be re-tested and possibly have their quarantine extended too.

There's an interesting Readers Submission on Stickman this week from a guy who went through ASQ & he said that families were allowed to stay in the same room... 

I think it's OK to post excepts/links from Stickman on here...

"Oh and talking about the rumour that Thai / Farang couples are being separated in some hotels, there is none of that here. In fact the room next to me has a Western man with his Thai wife."

"The farang / Thai couples, being a western woman with a Thai man or the other way around, they are all in the same room as far as I can tell. The Stickman reader who said that a friend with his family had to stay in adjacent rooms with a connecting door might be more down to the family size? I have a king-sized and a queen-sized bed in my room so a couple with a child would work fine; any more would not."

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/readers-submissions/2020/08/alternative-state-quarantine-asq-in-bangkok/

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That my just highlight NZ and Aus as also having extreme and inappropriate responses. 

The hysteria surrounding this Virus and consequence to the global economy (and local economies) is outrageous. 

Remind me which countries have had casual responses, and had low rates of infections and deaths from the virus?

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

could it be that she catch it on arrival.... 12 days incubation period

Probably infected by a Thai on the flight who does not need a covid test prior to flying - its only a flu anyway ..... keep fit eat healthy get on with it!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Didn't I read that Thais on repatriation flights can board without a covid test beforehand, is was that an urban myth?

Indeed, Thais are not required to have a COVID test before boarding repatriation flights.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You understand why there is quarantine and tests during quarantine right?

Pre-flight test: Self administered or imperfect - Negative result. 

Arrival Test: Negative

Day 5 Test: Negative

Day 12 test: Positive 

It apparently takes 4-5 days (I’m not 100% sure) for Covid-19 to show up on a PCR test after someone has contracted Covid-19

Thus a person could contract Covid-19 and still be negative on a test a few days later. 

Its possible the lady contracted Covid-19 on the flight over, tested negative on day 0 (arrival) and on day 5. 

This is why there is a quarantine of 15 days.

That said: The numbers are so low I think it perfectly acceptable for people to be tested on arrival and quarantine at home. BUT, people will break quarantine - unfortunately the harsh reality of the self-centred population we live in. 

This is exactly what happened. Initially quarantine was at home and it was quickly found that people were instead heading out on the town, even posting online selfies about it, and that ended that.

Slef-quarantine hasn't worked out will in NZ and other countries, either.

In Cambodia they have had to beef up security at quarantine facilities to stop people sneaking out.

• Like 2