Bangkok to get 4 smart districts under new plan

webfact

By The Nation

800_4c737add90b45a7.jpg?v=1598886534

Four districts will pilot Bangkok’s transformation into a smart city, under a plan unveiled by the National Charter of Thailand today.

The plan, which covers Rattanakosin Island, Yaowarat (Chinatown), Asoke (from Asoke intersection to Rama IX Road) and Tao Poon, was presented to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) today by the National Charter of Thailand, which is funded by Thailand Science Research and Innovation (TSRI).

It calls for 580 square metres of Yaowarat to be developed into a web of transport and shops integrated through CCTV and free public Wi-Fi. The district will be made pedestrian-friendly by extending the pavement and reducing traffic, with upgrades for the bus system, lighting, shopfronts and drainage. The aim is to boost the number of shoppers and tourists visiting Chinatown.

Negotiations for Yaowarat’s smart district development are underway and the project could get started this year, said Thapana Bunyapravitra, director of the National Charter of Thailand.

“The development budget will be around Bt30 million and the National Charter will design it for free,” said Thapana.

However, the first smart district eyed for development is Rattanakosin Island, to be designed and operated by Silpakorn University. This project is awaiting approval from the Royal Household Office and the Treasury Department.

Meanwhile, the Asoke Smart District is set for development next year and will cover Asoke intersection and its large shopping centres, Srinakharinwirot University, Makkasan BTS station and its future large shopping centre, and Rama IX intersection with Central Rama IX mall.

Plans for the Tao Poon-Bang Po smart district centre on the new national railway hub, Bang Sue Grand Station, which will be used by almost 3 million people per day. Smart infrastructure will link the station and its 200,000 square metres of retail space to the new Parliament area and Rajamangala University of Technology Phra Nakhon.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393793

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-01

Every time any good news is put on this website, a miserable, negative post will appear from a disgruntled, miserable negative fallang, saying it doesn't work.

If the Thai government invented a cure for cancer, guaranteed one miserable fallang would be on here claiming it would never work.

Why do these people live in or have anything to do with a country they despise, look down on or seem to hate?

Maybe because they are not wanted or liked where they come from..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, toast1 said:

Every time any good news is put on this website, a miserable, negative post will appear from a disgruntled, miserable negative fallang, saying it doesn't work.

If the Thai government invented a cure for cancer, guaranteed one miserable fallang would be on here claiming it would never work.

Why do these people live in or have anything to do with a country they despise, look down on or seem to hate?

just being realistic in a humorous way, if you'd care to look at my previous posts you'll see i'm neither a miserable, disgruntled (actually i'm a very happy), or negative person, don't look down on, despise or hate anyone. far from it, i'm tolerant and easy going. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, toast1 said:

They feel superior when looking at each flaw in society while they have never accomplished anything important in their life themselves.

2 hours ago, samsensam said:

just being realistic in a humorous way, if you'd care to look at my previous posts you'll see i'm neither a miserable, disgruntled (actually i'm a very happy), or negative person, don't look down on, despise or hate anyone. far from it, i'm tolerant and easy going. ????

Not realistic at all, don't see the humor too. What do you actually now about smart city developments in any country?

Here we go....... There's Soi Cowboy gone....... What's next, Nana, Pat Pong ?  going to be turned into sterile no go areas just like Khao Saan road is now......... These lot really have to go........  That'll complete the total destruction of Sukhumvit.........   That's what they've always wanted.......  Laughable, destroyed businesses that never slept that employed thousands of people making god knows how much money, and all for what ?   A country that's now staring total collapse in the face.........      Well done the boys with the shiny buttons.......   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Here we go....... There's Soi Cowboy gone....... What's next, Nana, Pat Pong ?  going to be turned into sterile no go areas just like Khao Saan road is now.

Oh yeah! Oh dear, A city without designated prostitution  "looking in your face, out in the open" areas! Like so many other countries in the world. Yeah, how boring!

Or it might just be you that have a weird way of looking at sterile! Don´t worry, you will still be fertile and able even if the girls don´t sit in your lap every time you order a beer.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Building smart infrastructure is one thing, having the right occupants to make it work is another.

Where I live they have slowly taken down old talat type roadside shops/vendors to build new smart buildings, pavements and shopping areas.

Six months after moving back into their old areas it looks like a shanty town again.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile, the Asoke Smart District is set for development next year and will cover Asoke intersection and its large shopping centres, Srinakharinwirot University, Makkasan BTS station and its future large shopping centre, and Rama IX intersection with Central Rama IX mall.

Obviously there's no such thing as a "Makkasan BTS station", since it's an Airport Link station. And the "future large shopping centre" nearby has been in the vague planning stage for several decades now, with no signs of actually being built. Still, I live in this neighborhood, so I hope this plan will result in something useful.

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

They feel superior when looking at each flaw in society while they have never accomplished anything important in their life themselves.

Not so sure about that.  I have lived in Thailand for 30 years.  So you might say I like the country and the people. That said, experience has shown me there is much to be special of ... particularly announcements of this nature.  There is often a deep divide between intention and execution in this country.  I can’t say if it’s a good or bad thing just that it’s the nature of the beast.  One poster mentions farangs are so jaded they would be skeptical of a cure for cancer ... anyone remember the miraculous Covid cure back in March?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

Not so sure about that.  I have lived in Thailand for 30 years.  So you might say I like the country and the people. That said, experience has shown me there is much to be special of ... particularly announcements of this nature.  There is often a deep divide between intention and execution in this country.  I can’t say if it’s a good or bad thing just that it’s the nature of the beast.  One poster mentions farangs are so jaded they would be skeptical of a cure for cancer ... anyone remember the miraculous Covid cure back in March?

IoT and AI driven solutions are already implemented in several projects in Thailand. This will be accelerated over the next couple of years.

Stop abusing the word smart~this is average or normal.  Making things normal does not make a smart district.  Improved, but not smart.  It seems as though a few people can read current journals or trade publications in English, they tell their boss and coworkers these terms, and they are completely misused and misinterpreted~simply attempts to seem smart. 

11 hours ago, toast1 said:

LOL! First Thailand has claimed many cures like EBOLA etc and all turned out to be fake, Senior Thai officials are renouned for plagiarism others claiming it as theirs, always claiming breakthroughs in science for things that have been in the west/ other countries for decades and the one that I always chuckle about still was the "Coconut bullet proof vests". Us westerners who actually see things as they are you will find actually love Thailand but being educated and coming from countries that promotes free thinking from an early age do tent to laugh and scream when they see the elephants in the room. You do realise using the word Farang is very racist? 

Maybe, just maybe, before thinking of "smart projects" , the dear leaders should cover the current basic needs for Thais.

Just one example, rain during 5 hours... result: flooding everywhere!

I'm quite sure you can name a good number of sectors in need...

BTW, I'm deeply involved in ICT infrastructure projects across APAC & EMEA

smart cities or smart districts is a term used by communist china to implement their biometric surveillence systems and control under their secretive 20 or 25 agreements that they have, with all the belt and road countries, eec and now parts of bangkok, they even use the national charter, which is this countries 20 year strategy, which intergrates into Beijing's rules and regulations and ultimate control, next you will see chinese millitary stations in all these countries under belt and road

Edited by humbug

4 hours ago, humbug said:

smart cities or smart districts is a term used by communist china to implement their biometric surveillence systems and control under their secretive 20 or 25 agreements that they have, with all the belt and road countries, eec and now parts of bangkok, they even use the national charter, which is this countries 20 year strategy, which intergrates into Beijing's rules and regulations and ultimate control, next you will see chinese millitary stations in all these countries under belt and road

It is interesting that the plan "calls for 580 square metres of Yaowarat to be developed into a web of transport and shops integrated through CCTV and free public Wi-Fi", since there's no obvious reason what CCTV has to do with either transport or shopping.