It's Getting Worse...More Shops Closing Down

Pattaya Spotter

33 minutes ago, johng said:

Well I drove past there on Sunday and the entrance was still open there was a woman standing there maybe a welcomer ? didn't see any signs posted about closing down the open air beer bars nearer to walking street where most certainly closed.

Well there would be little likelihood of it closing during a long holiday weekend, and as I said a rumour at the moment....

1 hour ago, kinyara said:

I stopped in there Monday night for a drink, thought there might be a few more holiday stragglers in, but it was the same as any other time I've visited not even double figures of customers. 2 other guys sat at the bar and a couple of sea front tables occupied and that was it. The empty demolished bar area in front makes their job so much harder to encourage in what little passing custom there is. 

Hooters and the PBG are in direct competition for the few customers there are...  

2 hours ago, kinyara said:

The empty demolished bar area in front makes their job so much harder to encourage in what little passing custom there is. 

Nooooooo! My first visit to Walking Street I had to walk past all the open bars in front of PBG. I remember it seemed like 50 girls all screaming sexy man at me and I was sold for life...the rest is history

I may not have kept drinking there but always smiled walking past, great tourist memory ????

Edited by aussiexpat

54 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Nooooooo! My first visit to Walking Street I had to walk past all the open bars in front of PBG. I remember it seemed like 50 girls all screaming sexy man at me and I was sold for life...the rest is history

I may not have kept drinking there but always smiled walking past, great tourist memory ????

Agreed, but my point was those bars have been demolished and that area is currently sitting derelict and dark. 

7 hours ago, kinyara said:

I stopped in there Monday night for a drink, thought there might be a few more holiday stragglers in, but it was the same as any other time I've visited not even double figures of customers. 2 other guys sat at the bar and a couple of sea front tables occupied and that was it. The empty demolished bar area in front makes their job so much harder to encourage in what little passing custom there is. 

I got some feedback that it is actually still open so a false rumour. It is a large place so must look quiet with small numbers.

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I got some feedback that it is actually still open so a false rumour. It is a large place so must look quiet with small numbers.

Yes agreed and similar to other larger venues at the moment it doesn't only look it, it feels it. I went to a few different places and it convinced me not to bother with Central Pattaya again for the time being. The lack of atmosphere and generally bored service staff is just not worth it. 

On 9/7/2020 at 7:17 PM, BigStar said:

Excellent progress! And it's a long weekend owing to substitution days. Now for extra credit: substitution for which holiday?????‍????

No, TAT: TVF has determined that ABSOLUTELY FINALLY DEAD Pattaya is never busy nowadays, as Thai tourists do not and cannot exist.

Lemme remind you. Any Thais you quite inadvertently happen to stumble upon outside a beer bar are merely eating som tum and drinking Sangsom. Oh, and noodles from street vendors. They never, ever eat in restos where any Western food is served. Having no money—only the beneficent Golden Egg Layers, those pillars of the Thai economy, have money—they go to shopping malls only to enjoy free aircon. Hence no shoppers have ever been seen in Thai mall: malls exist only to launder money.

Thais can’t possibly afford to stay in hotels such as the luxurious fan rooms on Soi Buakhao with our Big Spenders, either. Definitely not in their own apartments & condos. Inconceivable.

So: no Thai tourists. Ever. Now, back in the West, of course, domestic tourism IS a thing as everybody well knows and it DOES generate economic development. Otherwise, where would Blackpool be, one our treasures. But NOT in Thailand. That would imply the Golden Egg Layers aren't the pillars of the Thai economy they need to believe they are.

Hence I dunno why you’ve not expressed SHOCKED indignation at how incredibly desperate Hooters has become owing to the INSANE Thai Immigration policies. This is truly a new low in marketing: hiring a lot of farang to disguise themselves as Thais while eating in Hooters!

As I noted, since it opened, TVF has allowed only stupid farang tourists FOB with more money than sense to eat that horrible vastly overpriced "food." They wouldn't know to take advantage of the beer discounts, either.

Shrewd, street-savvy, self-respecting farang know to eat & drink only at TVF Poster Approved™ places like Beer Garden. Ah!

Whilst I can sympathize with such righteous pride in one’s own scholarly accomplishment, recent and hard-won perhaps, it’s just plain bad manners to go around tooting your own horn like that and schoolmarming, innit? Where’s the vaunted Brit understatement & self-deprecation when needed? Might be one o' them posh habits, though.

The usual whataboutism is just as a fallacious a form of argument here as it is elsewhere. The funniest application on TVF, however, is seen in the defense of farang criminals—well, “our lads,” not Americans—in the contention that farang crime in Thailand is quite OK and should be ignored as long as the Red Bull heir is out there.????

Good to see you back on form. I've always enjoyed your loooooooong posts.

17 hours ago, kinyara said:

Yes agreed and similar to other larger venues at the moment it doesn't only look it, it feels it. I went to a few different places and it convinced me not to bother with Central Pattaya again for the time being. The lack of atmosphere and generally bored service staff is just not worth it. 

Central was only good for the better looking totty and the banks. Food court got way too expensive catering for all those big spending Russians, and the cinema was waaaaaay too cold.

Everything for sale in there was probably cheaper outside.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Central was only good for the better looking totty and the banks. Food court got way too expensive catering for all those big spending Russians, and the cinema was waaaaaay too cold.

Everything for sale in there was probably cheaper outside.

Bought a couple of pairs of shorts in Uniqulo last week. Bargain. Also several decent restaurants on 5th/6th floor. Tried Sizzlers for the first time, a thumbs up.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 1:04 PM, kinyara said:

I take it the idiots have demolished what was a Pattaya institution. I never bought a drink in it, but it really exemplified Pattaya as it used to be.

I guess it's the bureaucrat problem- know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

If they are going to start demolishing everything that was Pattaya of old they deserve to preside over a deserted and derelict city. IMO not a brain cell in evidence.

1 minute ago, polpott said:

Bought a couple of pairs of shorts in Uniqulo last week. Bargain. Also several decent restaurants on 5th/6th floor. Tried Sizzlers for the first time, a thumbs up.

I went to a Sizzlers a few days ago, upon entering they required me to put a mask on , which I did , they then gave me a plastic glove to wear , I then just turned around and walked out

• Like 2

On 9/8/2020 at 1:23 PM, BritManToo said:

Let's say 2M foreigners still here, spending 50k/month .... 1,200,000,000,000bht/year.

(is that too many '0's?) Looks like a number that would impact the Thai economy to me.

2 million foreigners- where do you get that from? Perhaps, but given many (?most ) would be poor folk in LOS to work at the things Thais won't do, they sure ain't spending 50k a month. Even the old farangs living in a cheap fan room and nursing a beer watching the traffic all day in Pattaya are not spending much.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

The glove was to small and I couldnt get it on .

I understand the precautions against covid , but wearing a mask from the shop entrance to you seat and then taking the mask offis pointless , putting a glove on and then taking off again is pointless as well , why not just sanitize your hands before you go in 

What genius thought up the glove? Outside of the glove is contaminated soon as put on, so what's the point? In surgical theatre we couldn't touch anything not sterile, but that's hardly going to be applicable in a restaurant, is it? I'm assuming everyone was given a new glove, but if not that's a hazard for anyone wearing one worn by other people.

At least NZ has not gone that barking ( yet ).

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Even the old farangs living in a cheap fan room and nursing a beer watching the traffic all day in Pattaya are not spending much.

Don't see many of them about now. More people like me who spend 80k/month and take full advantage of all that Pattaya/Thailand has to offer.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What genius thought up the glove? Outside of the glove is contaminated soon as put on, so what's the point? In surgical theatre we couldn't touch anything not sterile, but that's hardly going to be applicable in a restaurant, is it? I'm assuming everyone was given a new glove, but if not that's a hazard for anyone wearing one worn by other people.

At least NZ has not gone that barking ( yet ).

Shopworkers handling food always put a glove on. Customers should do the same when handling food at the salad bar. Basic hygiene principles. And yes, fresh glove every time you go to the salad bar.

Edited by polpott

7 hours ago, polpott said:

Don't see many of them about now. More people like me who spend 80k/month and take full advantage of all that Pattaya/Thailand has to offer.

And I spend 85k/month so there.........:unsure:

And if Sizzlers want me to wear a mask and put gloves on I,ll stay in the Michelin starred "tin cup"....:thumbsup:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, petermik said:

And I spend 85k/month so there.........:unsure:

And if Sizzlers want me to wear a mask and put gloves on I,ll stay in the Michelin starred "tin cup"....:thumbsup:

Your loss. Every restaurant I've been in has required me to wear a mask until I'm seated. I would imagine all salad bars require you to wear a glove too. Makes sense.

Edited by polpott
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, polpott said:

I have large hands (so I'm told) and the glove was fine for me. It may be pointless but its the rules. The glove is a good idea, its only used on one hand at the salad bar.  I was in there for nearly an hour and probably wore my mask for one minute. Hardly an imposition. You should have gone with the flow and enjoyed your meal, I did.

I opted for the all you can eat Oishi Japanese buffet and I feel embarrassed in those sizzlers if I spend too long there and make frequent trips to the salad bar , especially if I paid just 250 Baht for the lunch time special with free salad bar 

Just now, CorpusChristie said:

I opted for the all you can eat Oishi Japanese buffet and I feel embarrassed in those sizzlers if I spend too long there and make frequent trips to the salad bar , especially if I paid just 250 Baht for the lunch time special with free salad bar 

And your point is?

20 minutes ago, polpott said:

Shopworkers handling food always put a glove on. Customers should do the same when handling food at the salad bar. Basic hygiene principles. And yes, fresh glove every time you go to the salad bar.

You dont touch the food in sizzlers though until you eat it , its handled by thongs at the actual salad bar .

Put on a glove , pick up a thong , pick up a carrot with the thong and put it on my plate , then walk back to my table , remove the glove and eat my carrot .

Thats alot of effort involved 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

but wearing a mask from the shop entrance to you seat and then taking the mask offis pointless

No I disagree, wearing a mask while moving around the restaurant and passing close by other customers makes a lot of sense to me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

You dont touch the food in sizzlers though until you eat it , its handled by thongs at the actual salad bar .

Put on a glove , pick up a thong , pick up a carrot with the thong and put it on my plate , then walk back to my table , remove the glove and eat my carrot .

Thats alot of effort involved 

are people wearing thongs in sizzlers, a site to behold 

That's going to put me right off my food 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

No I disagree, wearing a mask while moving around the restaurant and passing close by other customers makes a lot of sense to me.

As soon as people sat down, they took their masks off and didnt put them back on until they left , they were all mingling by the salad bar without masks on .

What is the point of putting a mask on for ten steps (to your seat)?

• Like 2