Naklua Best Supermarket or Foodland T 21 ?

seasia

Hi 

Which do you think is better ?

In terms of western products, especially ready to eat. Sandwiches,pies etc.

Do either do things like pork pies/scotch eggs etc.

Genuine question, live in naklua but currently not very mobile.

Fully aware they are very close to each other.

Thanks for any useful views.

Best sell a range of sandwiches, pasta dishes and quiches that are ready to eat. They are pricey.

Scotch eggs are sometimes on sale and there is a good choice of pies with sausage rolls and pasties. All these items are frozen.

If you are not so mobile, Best is the better option for you as the baht bus turns the corner at Dolphin Circus and drops you outside the front entrance. Leave by the back and a very short walk to Naklua Rd for a bus back.

• Like 1

They are close to each others and can be reached easily by Song Taew. IMO they are both good, but are able to score on different items. So I like to visit them both when shopping.

Best:
Wine, onions (at that time of the year), potatoes, some vegetables like leek (the half price at the moment), meat counter (esp. grade A local tenderloin beef), spices.

Foodland:
Sausage counter (I love to buy different portions at 50 grams. Fresh, delicious and a lot of variety), salad bar, promotions (buy one or two, get one free), minced pork without fat, as an exception of my meat counter opinion.

With the bread counter FL Pattaya Klang is better than Best, but not in T21. Staff at Foodland is more service orientated and helpful.

Just my personal opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, champers said:

Best sell a range of sandwiches, pasta dishes and quiches that are ready to eat. They are pricey.

Scotch eggs are sometimes on sale and there is a good choice of pies with sausage rolls and pasties. All these items are frozen.

If you are not so mobile, Best is the better option for you as the baht bus turns the corner at Dolphin Circus and drops you outside the front entrance. Leave by the back and a very short walk to Naklua Rd for a bus back.

I like best at dolphin roundabout ,but beware about 6 months ago i had a case of food poisening after eating one of their cooked meals ,i was very ill.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 5:54 AM, Matzzon said:

I would say Foodland, due to that they are more consistent. However, sometimes you can find specials and unique things in Superstore.

Let´s say Foodland for consistency and Superstore for happy surprises. ???? 

Foodland doesn't have many truly western products compared to Friendship or even Foodmart. Friendship never runs out of products. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 4:22 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I noticed scotch eggs in Best Supermarket the other day. Best is similar to Friendship in that they have good offers but most things aren't cheap. No idea about T21

Friendship has got more expensive lately, Villa Market is still the most expensive for farang food, in my experience, Foodland is the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Friendship has got more expensive lately, Villa Market is still the most expensive for farang food, in my experience, Foodland is the best.

I get that impression reading here, that Western type shopping is getting more expensive. Reduced number of buyers, more difficult importing and sourcing...? I hope so rather than just gouging.

• Like 1

There are several Foodlands - and the best one is the one on Pattaya Klang, they have the best selection. Other Foodland Shops seem to have a more limited Selection? The Staff at T 21 sometimes doesn't really know what products they have. I do most shopping at Friendship & Foodmart. Villa is expensive and Best is too far for me - I live in Jomtien.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 11:36 AM, BigStar said:

Booze is cheaper at Best and of greater variety. That's of major importance to our industrial drinkers.

However, some booze in the bottles may not be the same taste or smell, as what you buy at Foodland Big C or large stores. Speaking from experience, carefully examine all bottles and be familiar with authentic seals, corks and labeling before buying. Also turn the, bottle upsidedown and shake, if it leaks, don't buy.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 9:02 AM, Orton Rd said:

Foodland is the best anywhere, everything is priced up so no arguments at the till and the receipts in Englsih

They have only recently started to print receipts in English, but not fully.

23 hours ago, Bertil said:

Siamburi's, on top of soi Khao Talo, search for it on Facebook.

It's a little bit far to go for most people, unless you live in that soi. However, they always have good offers, so it might be worth the trip.

yes you are right.

I had heard of them but have never been, don't have my own transport.

I got lucky though.

I was chatting to a Brit expat here, who I have known some time.Somewhat of a food shopping expert

Asked where I might be able to buy the items I wanted.

Siamburis was the answer. He is a helpful person, visits there once or twice a week and is happy to take orders and deliver them back to naklua.

He brought me back a couple of items and next time I see him, will order some more.

Looked on their facebook page, very good range and some great prices.

A quick thanks to those that have taken the time to answer on this thread.

More or less sorted.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2020 at 5:28 PM, JensenZ said:

To get everything I need at the right price I have to use several supermarkets. I use Tops Central, Foodland (Klang and T21 branches), Friendship and Big-C Extra. Each has their strengths and weaknesses.

My problem is - anytime I go to any one of them - I end up with a BIG shopping Bill - I usually "over-buy" .... unfortunately.....