UK minister surprised by Scottish independence referendum move

snoop1130

So full marks to the Shetland Islanders for taking the gloves off. Unwilling to surrender their oil, their gas and their fisheries to a Bolshevist government run from the distant lowlands by a crew of Red Clydesiders and republicans, councillors have voted by 18 to 2 to explore becoming a Channel Islands-style Crown Dependency. They may be a numerically small part of the present Scottish population, but losing their profitable natural resources would inflict another, possibly unsustainable, hole in an independent Scotland’s capability to survive.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 7by7 said:

So you support the right of the Shetland Islanders to determine their own future?

How do you reconcile that with your desire to deny that right to the rest of Scotland!

Ah! the man itself.

Who is denying anything, Boris is stalling he has to give them the vote,has to,even the English are in full,full agreement,in fact they demand it

I'm not informed on this situation, so I'm asking in curiosity: if Scotland were to secede from UK, is there any sort of guarantee there would be a successful agreement for EU membership?  A newly independent nation is going to need "friends."

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

I'm not informed on this situation, so I'm asking in curiosity: if Scotland were to secede from UK, is there any sort of guarantee there would be a successful agreement for EU membership?  A newly independent nation is going to need "friends."

no, there is no guarantee

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bendejo said:

No guarantee at all, but the mood music from the eu to date has been encouraging. Also, although not actually a member in its own right, Scotland has been a participating part of the eu for decades so it already meets standards and obligations. 

However, one thing to bear in mind is whether Scotland wants to return to the fold, or how they should approach future membership should they decide to return. 

• Like 2

The Orkneys and Shetlands have killed any chance for Scottish independence saying they would want independence from an independent Scotland. That would make Scotland non-viable financially, if it wasn't already.

Given how much the Covid crisis sucked out of the world economy it won't matter anyway. Our real problems will eclipse luxury concepts.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1334720/nicola-sturgeon-orkney-independence-referendum-vote-scotland-shetland-islands-snp-scottis

• Like 1

I am sure we will all raise a glass of rum punch today to wish our Barbadian friends well as they choose to become sever ties with the UK and become a republic.

Barbados to become Republic, remove Queen as Head of State in 2021

"Barbados has announced its intention to become a republic and remove Britain’s Queen Elizabeth as head of state by November next year.

"[Governor-General] said the administration of Prime Minister Mia Mottley, will take the “next logical step” to make Barbados into a republic in time for the country’s 55th anniversary of independence in November 2021."

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I am sure we will all raise a glass of rum punch today to wish our Barbadian friends well as they choose to become sever ties with the UK and become a republic.

"Barbados has announced its intention to become a republic and remove Britain’s Queen Elizabeth as head of state by November next year.

"[Governor-General] said the administration of Prime Minister Mia Mottley, will take the “next logical step” to make Barbados into a republic in time for the country’s 55th anniversary of independence in November 2021."

and a one party dictatorship by 2023 doubtless.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 5:11 PM, nemo38 said:

The Orkneys and Shetlands have killed any chance for Scottish independence saying they would want independence from an independent Scotland. That would make Scotland non-viable financially, if it wasn't already.

Given how much the Covid crisis sucked out of the world economy it won't matter anyway. Our real problems will eclipse luxury concepts.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1334720/nicola-sturgeon-orkney-independence-referendum-vote-scotland-shetland-islands-snp-scottis

Try getting your information from a source other than the Express. First of all because of reading that rag you ended up voting for Brexit.

Second of all it knows absolutely nothing about what is happening in Scotland.

Third of all Orkney and Shetland are looking to get more autonomy not independence. 

Fourth Even if they were to become independent they would be considered an enclave within Scottish territorial waters and therefor would only control the oil/gas/fishing within a 12 mile limit of their coastline.

How much oil and gas is included in their territorial waters?

Zero.

None.

Zilch.

Happy to have helped increase your knowledge on all things Scottish. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, kingdong said:

and a one party dictatorship by 2023 doubtless.

You mean like the former colony now republic; Ireland?

Which of the 31 Commonwealth countries which are republics are one party dictatorships? (Remember, Google is your friend!)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Which of the 31 Commonwealth countries which are republics are one party dictatorships? (Remember, Google is your friend!)

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

zimbabwe for one.

20 minutes ago, kingdong said:

zimbabwe for one.

Zimbabwe is not in the Commonwealth.

After it's membership was suspended for human rights abuses and other violations of the Harare declaration, Mugabe's government withdrew from the organisation in 2003. Jumping before he was pushed.

Do try and keep up with current events if you are going to participate in a current affairs discussion!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Try getting your information from a source other than the Express. First of all because of reading that rag you ended up voting for Brexit.

Second of all it knows absolutely nothing about what is happening in Scotland.

Third of all Orkney and Shetland are looking to get more autonomy not independence. 

Fourth Even if they were to become independent they would be considered an enclave within Scottish territorial waters and therefor would only control the oil/gas/fishing within a 12 mile limit of their coastline.

How much oil and gas is included in their territorial waters?

Zero.

None.

Zilch.

Happy to have helped increase your knowledge on all things Scottish. 

Wrong

200 nautical miles

The Falklands claim an exclusive economic zone (EEZ) extending 200 nautical miles (370 km) from its coastal baselines, based on the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea; this zone overlaps with the EEZ of Argentina.
   for example   and Shetland wants shut of scotland     18 votes to 2
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 4:08 AM, RuamRudy said:

It baffles me (and most I'm sure) why Barbados still had the Queen as HoS after all these years of independence. That's just weird IMO. 

Not sure what this has to do with Scottish independence though. Unless you're suggesting Scotland was colonised by the British ????

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

It baffles me (and most I'm sure) why Barbados still had the Queen as HoS after all these years of independence. That's just weird IMO. 

Not sure what this has to do with Scottish independence though. Unless you're suggesting Scotland was colonised by the British ????

By the British? So colonised by ourselves? Or did you mean 'colonised by the English'? 

I posted that to highlight that the relinquishment of ties to the UK need not be a traumatic or tumultuous affair, but can be accomplished without rancour or bitterness. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

By the British? So colonised by ourselves? Or did you mean 'colonised by the English'? 

I posted that to highlight that the relinquishment of ties to the UK need not be a traumatic or tumultuous affair, but can be accomplished without rancour or bitterness. 

That's why I pointed it out - colonised by yourselves wouldn't make much sense. 

And removing Queenie as head of state is slightly less complicated than exiting a full political and financial union. Not much of a comparison whatever way you look at it. 

Unless you mean the original act of independence for Barbados, which again was much less complex than Scottish independence would be. 

Not that I'm against independence for Scotland if that's what the people want. 

7 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

This ongoing grasping at the thinnest of straws is genuinely amusing. 

When are you going to rehash the story that the RAF will bomb Scottish airports to prevent Russian bombers landing there? 

There is also the story that we will be more vulnerable to alien invasion. 

Or that we won't be allowed to watch Strictly Come Dancing! 

scotland want to leave the union on its own conditions,just leave,take snapshot Gallup poll..that will do,now p.iss off, here are your cards  go now...please