UK minister surprised by Scottish independence referendum move

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Your assertion that the SNP is a fundamentally anti English entity, and that the desire for Scottish independence is driven by a hatred of the English.

I have a written post from a fellow Scots partitionist which I have shown you, I can show you it again if you've had a memory lapse, there are scores of the Scot Nationalists burning our union flag, banners with 'England out of Scotland' I would be very carefull when you throw your xenophobic accusations about, England does not have a Nationalist party in parliament like the SNP now does it. Ignore the evidence as much as you want RR, but at your own peril.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

I have a written post from a fellow Scots partitionist which I have shown you, I can show you it again if you've had a memory lapse, there are scores of the Scot Nationalists burning our union flag, banners with 'England out of Scotland' I would be very carefull when you throw your xenophobic accusations about, England does not have a Nationalist party in parliament like the SNP now does it. Ignore the evidence as much as you want RR, but at your own peril.

One example from a drive by poster, and one idiot who is roundly condemned by all and sundry is enough to denigrate 58% of my country? Fair enough, if that is how you think then so be it. It explains why you support Brexit, I suppose. 

OK next question - how do you interpret the burning of the UK flag as being anti English? I interpret it as being juvenile and embarrassing but it is no attack on the English as far as I can see. 

Your lack of knowledge of the difference between a National party and a Nationalist party is evident. I know that Johnson likes to try to be clever in his infantile way by calling them Nationalists, but that does not make it so. When I call his party the Nasty Party that is because the evidence to support that claim is overwhelming. He tries it with the SNP and it rings hollow because all he has are his fatuous words. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, vogie said:

More and more English and European voters have moved to the indy side you say. Tell you what might be a fair and democratic way of doing things, why not let the Scots, no matter where they live, whether it be Berwick or Bierut to vote on the future of their country, could it be that Mrs Sturgeon doesn't expect them to vote her way?

I never said anything about being undemocratic. In fact, I support the limiting of the franchise to those who choose to live in and support the country. The result in 2014 was disappointing but it was certainly not undemocratic in how it was executed.

• Like 2

Just now, RuamRudy said:

I never said anything about being undemocratic. In fact, I support the limiting of the franchise to those who choose to live in and support the country. The result in 2014 was disappointing but it was certainly not undemocratic in how it was executed.

All Scots should have a say on the future of their country, do you agree?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

They should be allowed to freely express an opinion, but if they do not live there and do not contribute to it in normal manner then I do not agree that they should be allowed to have a vote on its future. 

Edited by RuamRudy
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

They should be allowed to freely express an opinion, but if they do not live there and do not contribute to it in normal manner then I do not agree that they should be allowed to have a vote on its future. 

But, foreigners that are working/living in Scotland can vote and the next day retire and/or just move back to their own country, a Scot working/living outside Scotland may do the same and return to his birthplace, yet you say they should not be able to vote on their own birthplace yet a departing foreigner can...... Total nonsense...????

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, vogie said:

You mean in the same manner of excluding 700,000 UK citizens from the right to vote in Brexit?  (i.e. those making use of the right of abode anywhere in the EU - those most directly affected by Brexit).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

You mean in the same manner of excluding 700,000 UK citizens from the right to vote in Brexit?  (i.e. those making use of the right of abode anywhere in the EU - those most directly affected by Brexit).

Who couldn't vote on Brexit....?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I expect you will have the same attitude if the referendum in Scotland excludes Scottish citizens similarly residing in England as well.  (i.e. those taking advantage of free movement of labour).

Read my post ...

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

By anybodies standards 15 years to vote is better than none, I know it's not perfect, in my opinion we should never lose the right to vote, after all we don't lose the right to pay our taxes do we.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2020 at 10:58 AM, RuamRudy said:

It is a UK government link. Even they are not so stupid as to tell the truth about their incompetence, lies or corruption. What do you expect them to say?

While we do make blue cheese in Scotland, I am not sure that any uptick in blue cheese sales will be sufficient to offset the massive negative impact which will be felt in Scotland from the stupidity of the Brexit we overwhelmingly rejected but is being forced upon us by another country.

Have a wee dram RR ????

8 hours ago, evadgib said:

Have a wee dram RR ????

Have you tasted it? It acqits itself pretty well according to this review. I much prefer my whisky to be smooth and uncomplicated so maybe worth a try. 

Whisky Review: The English Whisky Company Classic Single Malt

The English Whisky Company Classic Single Malt is a straightforward, easy-drinking single malt—there’s not a lot of complexity, but it’s well-balanced, approachable, and pleasant, with some nice soft fruit and candy notes to round out the smoke.

heard an interesting discussion on the wireless earlier this week,

political analysts discussing the separation of Scotland from UK;

they seemed to agree that the surfacing of the Corona virus had significantly

increased the interest for separation in Scotland

On 10/30/2020 at 8:06 AM, melvinmelvin said:

heard an interesting discussion on the wireless earlier this week,

political analysts discussing the separation of Scotland from UK;

they seemed to agree that the surfacing of the Corona virus had significantly

increased the interest for separation in Scotland

That is a significant factor, I am sure; the incompetence and corruption dished out in bucketfuls by Johnson and his cabinet has not gone unnoticed, but the bigger take-away, I am sure, is the competent, level headed response of the Scottish Government to the crisis. They haven't got everything right by any means, but they have not obfuscated or shirked away from responsibility. They have been practical, pragmatic and consistent in their approach. This level of accountability has impressed the electorate significantly.

This poll was released earlier this week, although the polling itself was carried out a month ago. That said, surely nothing which has occurred in that time has cast the union in a more favourable light? It is worth also pointing out that this is something like the 7th consecutive poll that has shown independence as a majority preference. 

Elj2bzMW0AAbhgu.jpg

Edited by RuamRudy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

That is a significant factor, I am sure; the incompetence and corruption dished out in bucketfuls by Johnson and his cabinet has not gone unnoticed, but the bigger take-away, I am sure, is the competent, level headed response of the Scottish Government to the crisis. They haven't got everything right by any means, but they have not obfuscated or shirked away from responsibility. They have been practical, pragmatic and consistent in their approach. This level of accountability has impressed the electorate significantly.

This poll was released earlier this week, although the polling itself was carried out a month ago. That said, surely nothing which has occurred in that time has cast the union in a more favourable light? It is worth also pointing out that this is something like the 7th consecutive poll that has shown independence as a majority preference. 

Elj2bzMW0AAbhgu.jpg

Scotland has played a blunder regarding corona,and their independence when the vote occurs will be assured.