China wants a canal to cross Thailand into the Indian Ocean

webfact

19 minutes ago, fangless said:

Total BS.

"The current Thai canal proposal, known as the 9A route, would involve two parallel channels—each 30 meters deep, 180 meters wide, and running 75 miles at sea level from Songkhla on the Gulf of Thailand to Krabi in the Andaman Sea."

Please clarify why it is more difficult that the Panama canal which did not use "small nuclear detonations" (they hadn't been invented then I know)

Ofc, nukes are not needed. However Russia used some in similar construction projects. And keep in mind, the Panama Chanel Project costed 5600 lives. Mostly to diseases, though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No need for locks on the Kra canal, and there isn't a sufficient water supply to use them- just make it at sea level.

How would you get around the need for locks? The land is not level.

Unless they have come up with something pretty amazing over the past few years, that is an inescapeable engineering requirement.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The spoil could be used to create an artificial island to build the container terminal and shipyards on.

The Chinese certainly love to build new islands ????

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No need for nuclear detonations.

I did not say there was a "need" for nuclear detonations, I said it was considered as a way to bring down the massive costs of the project.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Just big bulldozers/ loaders and normal explosives.

Sure but, again, this would be a huge project, the most ambitious canal project in history. Expensive.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nothing difficult about it at all.

Put in a bid ????

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Erm, big bulldozers, explosives and keep digging till reach sea level.

Just now, fangless said:

Use a big bulldozer.

Guys, seriously. Just spend five minutes reading about how a canal actually works. I promise, you will find it fascinating.

• Haha 1

What they need is a rail yard at each coast and loading cranes on each side.

Boat pulls up to the port. multi destination shipments are distributed by train car to specific ships on the other side, pick them up and off you go. All computer controlled. You get the benefit of distribution as well as not needing to divide the country. Ships only need to go part of the distance. No inherent canal problems, like having special pilots, and bottlenecking. You can also choose the location based on land based benefits rather than the place being determined by the narrowness of the land and sea depth. of course this is mainly for container ships.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Thanks 1

Great for the Thai navy,buy a few subs and get a free canal!!!

Just bring over a few million Chinese grunts and start digging.(or people that need to be re educated)

Brings back memories from when i was 16 ,standing at the wheel of a coaster,

The guide would say,'two spokes starboard' answer,'two spokes starboard'.

• Haha 1