School Saying I Won't Get My Visa Until Oct

I came here on a tourist visa and have been on amnesty after. I decided I wanted to improve my Thai and applied for an education visa at a school in Pattaya in mid August. They needed a ton of pictures and documents like the condo owner's house book, ID/passport, TM30, pictures of me in front of my condo room and building etc.. which I provided to them. I paid a 10,000 deposit initially. I hadn't heard anything from them so I contacted them yesterday and they said I was approved by the ministry of education and I can pay the 13,000 immigration fee to switch my visa now and they will make an appointment for me to go to immigration and have my photo taken. Not sure how long they were waiting to tell me this if I didn't contact them first. They said I most likely won't have the visa until October though but that it will be okay and I will not be charged for being on overstay because my passport will be with immigration. Not sure if I should just cut my loss and try and get another visa for now so I don't go into overstay or just trust the school. It's an established school with many branches and has been around for 10+ years. Any advice is appreciated on how I should proceed.

You will be getting a 90 day entry from the visa application and then near the end of the 90 days you would apply for a extension of stay based upon attending school. I think that is what they meant when they said October.

Immigration does not keep passports when applications are done. I think the school or their agent are holding you passport.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will be getting a 90 day entry from the visa application and then near the end of the 90 days you would apply for a extension of stay based upon attending school. I think that is what they meant when they said October.

Immigration does not keep passports when applications are done. I think the school or their agent are holding you passport.

Thanks ubonjoe. Just to be clear, they said specifically that I would be on overstay but I won't be charged or counted officially as overstay and that it will take as long as October because immigration is so busy right now with many people applying for education visas but that I shouldn't worry. For now, I still have my passport and they said they need the 13,000 visa fee to make an appointment with immigration for my photo to be taken. So in your opinion, I should proceed? Thanks again for your quick response.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You will probably get a under consideration stamp when the visa application is done that allows you to stay until it is issued.

Since you have gone this far you might as well do what is needed to stay in the country.

Thanks again ubonjoe, I agree that I might as well give it a shot and see what happens.

Greetings folks. First post on this forum. I would also like to (if i still have time) try for an education visa to remain in Thailand and learn to speak Thai. My understanding is i have to do this by Sept 11th altho i do have an embassy letter i can hopefully use for one more month's stay if necessary. It seems at least i need to initiate the extension process before using the 1-month letter. At present i have 3 general questions: 

1) Is there a list of schools that are acceptable to apply to in order to get this visa? I've heard there are schools in Pattaya, Chiang Mai, and Bangkok. I'm currently near Ubon but can go anywhere. 

2) Does anyone with experience in this recommend any school in particular (for a beginner)?

3) What documents were needed to submit your applications?

Thanks and salutes!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

Greetings folks. First post on this forum. I would also like to (if i still have time) try for an education visa to remain in Thailand and learn to speak Thai. My understanding is i have to do this by Sept 11th altho i do have an embassy letter i can hopefully use for one more month's stay if necessary. It seems at least i need to initiate the extension process before using the 1-month letter. At present i have 3 general questions: 

1) Is there a list of schools that are acceptable to apply to in order to get this visa? I've heard there are schools in Pattaya, Chiang Mai, and Bangkok. I'm currently near Ubon but can go anywhere. 

2) Does anyone with experience in this recommend any school in particular (for a beginner)?

Thanks and salutes!

You should search on google, there are endless schools offering group or individual Thai language courses, often with an ED visa. 

I've heard great things from many people about Walen in Bangkok, might be worth a look. All required documents required are on the website and the school will also confirm this. 

You need to act fast, unsure where you got September 11th from but if you're currently on amnesty until September 26th, you're probably already going to miss that date. 

38 minutes ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

Thanks and salutes!

Honestly, I think you are too late.  When you apply, your school first has to submit your application to the ministry of education, and it takes them 2-3 weeks to approve your application.  Then you have to apply for your visa at immigration--which is supposed to be done by sept 11.

I would act immediately and start contacting schools tonight and asking them.  Of the places you listed, I think pattaya is the most likely place you might be able to find a school that could still help you.  All you need is your passport and some photos to apply.  The school will handle the rest.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

Thanks again ubonjoe, I agree that I might as well give it a shot and see what happens.

I'm not sure if you're aware but this 13000 baht "fee" is in fact an under the table payment for which you'll get no receipt. It's a bribe that allows you to circumvent the rules which may explain the slightly dodgy circumstances of people keeping hold of your passport.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

I'm not sure if you're aware but this 13000 baht "fee" is in fact an under the table payment for which you'll get no receipt. It's a bribe that allows you to circumvent the rules which may explain the slightly dodgy circumstances of people keeping hold of your passport.

The keeping hold of his passport part is a bit strange.  I think maybe he misunderstood and nobody should need to keep his passport.  In my case, I paid this extra fee and nobody ever kept my passport.  

38 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Its actually not circumventing the rules - you are officially allowed to change from a Tourist Visa or Visa Exempt to a ED Visa within the country

UbonJoe posted a link to this a while ago

OP normally ED Visa applications take 3-5 weeks to complete however that time frame may change during current circumstances

52 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Like the other person said, I was told it's the fee for changing the visa from tourist to ED which is legal as I understand it. 

3 hours ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

Thanks and salutes!

You should use the embassy letter to get a 30 days extension because I think the deadline passed for most if not all schools to do the visa. Someone posted that Chiang Mai University was offering ED visas for a reasonable price. Some people are saying you only need your passport and photos in this post which is what I assumed as well but when I arrived at the office they said I needed: copies of a passport with no overstay stamps, copy of TM30, copy of landlord's ID card and house book, copy of the lease, 18 photos, photo of me in front of my condo and apartment. So quite a bit and my landlord wasn't co-operative so I had to change apartments a week early which was frustrating. All this and I only get 5 months anyway because I entered in February of this year and it can only be a year from your last entry.

1 hour ago, Phillip9 said:

The keeping hold of his passport part is a bit strange.  I think maybe he misunderstood and nobody should need to keep his passport.  In my case, I paid this extra fee and nobody ever kept my passport.  

So what was the procedure like? You paid the fee, went to immigration to apply for the visa, then you had to go back to immigration after a few weeks to get your visa stamped into your passport? Did they give you an "under consideration" stamp first?

2 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

Like the other person said, I was told it's the fee for changing the visa from tourist to ED which is legal as I understand it. 

This is not correct. The fee is actually 2000 baht but only if you are studying at certain institutions like a university. The additional 11000 baht you're paying is a bribe. I'm not trying to make a big thing about this I'm just stating a fact. If you think that 13000 baht is an official fee then ask for a receipt. You won't get one.

Edited by edwardandtubs

Thanks again for all the helpful replies here. My strategy is to try and use my extension letter at the right time to get enough time to hopefully complete the visa. If anyone with experience believes this is no longer an option please do let me know. 

Aside from Chiang Mai University, do any folks here recommend other legitimate schools that i might try for the ED visa? Also does anyone recommend a reliable visa service i might also contact? Cheers!

4 hours ago, Caldera said:

So what was the procedure like? You paid the fee, went to immigration to apply for the visa, then you had to go back to immigration after a few weeks to get your visa stamped into your passport? Did they give you an "under consideration" stamp first?

I was met by a representative from my school at immigration, and he handled most every thing at immigration.  I just had to sign something and get my picture taken.

I didn't get an under consideration stamp, but they stapled some paper (I think an application receipt) into my passport, and it had the date I should return written on it.  I returned 2 weeks later and got the actual visa.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

Thanks again for all the helpful replies here. My strategy is to try and use my extension letter at the right time to get enough time to hopefully complete the visa. If anyone with experience believes this is no longer an option please do let me know. 

Aside from Chiang Mai University, do any folks here recommend other legitimate schools that i might try for the ED visa? Also does anyone recommend a reliable visa service i might also contact? Cheers!

I used Pro Language school a few years back. They might not be for everyone but I thought they were quite good. 

4 hours ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

If anyone with experience believes this is no longer an option please do let me know. 

Contact the schools directly and ask if they can still do it.  Each school sets a deadline for applications, and they will quickly be able to tell you if you still have time or not.   The deadline will vary by school and area.  Also, I was told that the schools in chiang mai need more time because the ministry of education takes longer to approve applications there.

Pro language in pattaya and chiang mai university were both offering ed visas when I contacted them about a month ago.

2 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

Contact the schools directly and ask if they can still do it.  Each school sets a deadline for applications, and they will quickly be able to tell you if you still have time or not.   The deadline will vary by school and area.  Also, I was told that the schools in chiang mai need more time because the ministry of education takes longer to approve applications there.

Pro language in pattaya and chiang mai university were both offering ed visas when I contacted them about a month ago.

Pro Language said on their facebook that Aug 24th was the last day.

10 hours ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

You are probably too late to try for a Non Ed visa/extension. Talk to a good agent over the weekend, and see if they know of any schools that could still help.

Awaiting reply from some schools now. If this does not work as seems to be the case, does anyone know if a volunteer visa might be more possible? Also does anyone know if they will offer some further extension of amnesty if flights continue to be cancelled? I still see mostly cancellation of international flights. Many thanks.

1 hour ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

Awaiting reply from some schools now. If this does not work as seems to be the case, does anyone know if a volunteer visa might be more possible? Also does anyone know if they will offer some further extension of amnesty if flights continue to be cancelled? I still see mostly cancellation of international flights. Many thanks.

I suspect you are too late also for volunteer visas. An agent could arrange a 30-day medical extension (highly dubious, and might possibly attract some unwelcome attention). Other than that, a 30-day extension with a letter from your embassy is probably the best you can hope for.

2 hours ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

Looks like it is too late for ED and likely Volunteer also, at least from what i'm hearing from schools and agents. Not sure if anyone knows how Thailand might handle folks like me if we can't get an exit flight? Thanks folks.

The rules are very clear now. You get an embassy letter and an extension or you leave. There are plenty of exit flights like Eva to London for 20,890 baht on 20 September so you'll be treated like they always treat overstayers. The free holiday is over.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

I suspect you are too late also for volunteer visas. An agent could arrange a 30-day medical extension (highly dubious, and might possibly attract some unwelcome attention). Other than that, a 30-day extension with a letter from your embassy is probably the best you can hope for.

Why might it? I don't see any evidence of that at all. It's certainly no more suspicious than a volunteer visa.

49 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Why might it? I don't see any evidence of that at all. It's certainly no more suspicious than a volunteer visa.

There are a couple of reasons. Volunteer visas are signed off by multiple senior officials, including immigration at Division level. Medical extensions are authorised by local immigration offices, and typically one less senior official. If audited, a specific office granting many medical extensions using the same doctor is going to look suspicious, and a single, not very senior, official might be made an example of should someone want to look tough on corruption.

22 minutes ago, BritTim said:

There are a couple of reasons. Volunteer visas are signed off by multiple senior officials, including immigration at Division level. Medical extensions are authorised by local immigration offices, and typically one less senior official. If audited, a specific office granting many medical extensions using the same doctor is going to look suspicious, and a single, not very senior, official might be made an example of should someone want to look tough on corruption.

I'm sure the money gets kicked up to the top either way so I doubt it makes any difference, especially if you're just considering the medical visa as a short-term option.