Premium Deisel

fredob43

On 9/5/2020 at 8:42 PM, Susco said:

Euro 5 diesel is available from SOME PTT, Bangchak, Esso and Shell pumps, so PTT is not exclusive, and I believe it will come at a premium

The answer why avoid PTT stations is in post #4.

I don't notice any power difference between brands, because I have a pickup which is not a racer, but I can easily see the difference in mileage when I fill up at a PTT station, compared with any other station.

For the past 4 tanks I have switched to B10, since my 2010 Navara supports that, and to be honest I can hear my turbo engage much faster.

Maybe just in my head, but at the end of the day mileage is the same as regular diesel, and a full tank cost much less.

Your turbo has a clutch/gearbox............????

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Errr, What ?

42 minutes ago, transam said:

Your turbo has a clutch/gearbox............????

I see the resident expert trolls are out in force today.

You didn't know yet that you can hear a turbo engage by the whistling sound, and if that sound is more obvious, means the engine reaches the required revs faster?

Don't bother to reply, as I'm not interested in your troll comments

3 minutes ago, Susco said:

You didn't know yet that you can hear a turbo engage by the whistling sound, and if that sound is more obvious, means the engine reaches the required revs faster?

A turbo spins as soon as the engine starts and never stops until waaaaay after the engine stops..

What's that about trolls.....?  :coffee1:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, bangsaenguy said:

I uses only Banchak or Shell in my Vigo for years. Last year I forgot to top up and had to stop at PTT. The next morning my pickup would not start without priming the fuel filter. Took it to the shop to check. The fuel filter was trashed. Changed it, went back to buying premium fuel and no more issues. Coincidence? Doubt it.

You "had to stop" would indicate you were very low on fuel? Over time fuel tanks accumulate crud and water in the bottom of the tank. If you run your tank too low this crud can get sucked into your fuel lines and into the filter. Its been recommended to never let your tank go below 1/4 full maybe especially important for you since you're driving an older truck.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

A turbo spins as soon as the engine starts and never stops until waaaaay after the engine stops..

What's that about trolls.....?  :coffee1:

What causes turbo whistle?

Turbo whistle is the sound of the compressor inside the turbocharger speeding up (also known as ‘spooling up’, which is why it kicks in at the boost threshold (when the turbo starts to kick in) as you accelerate up the rev range.

https://www.aet-turbos.co.uk/the-turbo-whistle-turbo-noises-explained/

That is one POTY troll on ignore ,, Bye

Just now, Susco said:

Turbo whistle is the sound of the compressor inside the turbocharger speeding up (also known as ‘spooling up’, which is why it kicks in at the boost threshold (when the turbo starts to kick in) as you accelerate up the rev range.

That is one POTY troll on ignore ,, Bye

Not all turbos make a noise, every ride is different in that respect, my Vigo had a noise that was only noticeable with the window open, other than that, quiet.

You stated you hear the turbo engage faster, but it 'engages' as soon as you start the engine.

If yours 'engages' earlier it's because the engine RPM gets higher quicker....????

PS. There is no 'troll' fee for my information....????

3 minutes ago, transam said:

If yours 'engages' earlier it's because the engine RPM gets higher quicker....

Really? And isn't that exactly what I said in post #33, after which you decided to insist on arguing?

20 minutes ago, Susco said:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Susco said:

Really? And isn't that exactly what I said in post #33, after which you decided to insist on arguing?

Again, a turbo does not 'engage', it starts spinning  as soon as you turn the key and never stops.

Perhaps you worded it wrong and a couple of us wanted to tell you the above, so don't get your nickers in a twist....????

Edited by transam
  • Haha 1

I just had a look at the German (a country where big companies would not get away with making false claims in their advertisements) Shell website.

They never actually say "Shell V-Power increases the power of the engine". If it would increase the power they would for sure use this in their advertisements.

This shows that premium fuels don't increase the power, and any increase that you "feel" is just in your imagination.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, transam said:

Perhaps you worded it wrong and a couple of us wanted to tell you the above, so don't get your nickers in a twist....????

Trans

nickers are folk that steal

knickers are underwear....OK mai....:cheesy:

• Haha 1

I have a 'tuna and cannot tell the difference between using Shell V-power and PTT regular diesel. 

Neither do I see any difference in the mileage. Millage should be your best indicator as to if you're getting more power out of one fuel than another. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

I have a 'tuna and cannot tell the difference between using Shell V-power and PTT regular diesel. 

Neither do I see any difference in the mileage. Millage should be your best indicator as to if you're getting more power out of one fuel than another. 

You probably won't, it's only us stop light drags folk who may, but Shell V-power should give you a trouble free, very clean injector/fuel system.....:stoner:....................????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Susco said:

As mentioned by Transman, the turbo is driven by exhaust flow.... if the engine is running the turbo is spinning.

Premium diesel fuel will not make it spool any faster than any of the lessor diesel fuels.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

As mentioned by Transman, the turbo is driven by exhaust flow.... if the engine is running the turbo is spinning.

Premium diesel fuel will not make it spool any faster than any of the lessor diesel fuels.

So this is all a lie? Thanks for sharing your superior knowledge.

3 hours ago, transam said:

If yours 'engages' earlier it's because the engine RPM gets higher quicker....

1 minute ago, Susco said:

Hey you can google, congrats.

But yeah, your turbo aint spooling any quicker than normal unless you are giving it a lot more throttle than normal.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Susco said:

Turbo whistle has nothing to do with a turbo engaging, it is already working. The whistle is related to the turbos internal rotational speed.

So you have never driven a car to find air (wind) noise causing a whistle because you speeded up, you know, front grill, window open a tad, it is exactly the same thing..

In fact, purse your lips and blow, a whistle will come out of thin air from speed....????

4 minutes ago, heybuz said:

Its all marketing, the only difference in diesel is that some oil companies put additives to clean the injectors,the rest as far as i know is bull.

Thought they all did that, but their own different sauce....????

7 hours ago, transam said:

In fact, purse your lips and blow, a whistle will come out of thin air from speed....????

Nowt doing with me on that one....had me front teeth removed some time ago..its a beggar trying to get the dog in at night.....:cheesy:.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, transam said:

You probably won't, it's only us stop light drags folk who may, but Shell V-power should give you a trouble free, very clean injector/fuel system.....:stoner:....................????

Yes, but only when used in conjunction with the correct tire pressure....????

It's been my experience that a whistling turbo is heading south.... 

I tested different diesel options on our Hilux 2.8, three years ago. I found that Shell Vpower presented slightly longer mileage, though the difference was only around 1 km per liter. Engine felt more happy, but I cannot say I felt more power. 

In my home country I can confirm there is quite a big difference between premium and non-premium diesel fuels.

Original question is if there is any difference in Thailand?

I believe Shell Vpower is offering a better premium diesel fuel than other Thai companies and I am happy to spend a bit extra for an engine that feels more happy and from my trials proves to do longer mileage, which makes the cost of fuel close to same. 

Off topic; For our gasoline car we only use PTT Gasoline 95 (pure gasoline and no ethanol) This fuel makes a bigger difference against other Premium 95+ fuels which has ethanol in the mix. There is a big difference in power and the mileage is around 20% better or 2 km per liter on our car with Gasoline 95.

And YES a turbo, will spool up faster with premium fuel vs. cheapest fuel. (can easily be proven, plenty of reports - but outside of Thailand)

11 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

So you will run out first? Sometimes beggars cant be choosers. 

So PTT is the only gas station in your world?

Some people fill up for more than 200 Baht each time, and they fill up before the tank is empty, so if all PTT stations would close tomorrow they would still never run out.

Edited by Susco

29 minutes ago, THEN said:

I tested different diesel options on our Hilux 2.8, three years ago. I found that Shell Vpower presented slightly longer mileage, though the difference was only around 1 km per liter. Engine felt more happy, but I cannot say I felt more power. 

In my home country I can confirm there is quite a big difference between premium and non-premium diesel fuels.

Original question is if there is any difference in Thailand?

I believe Shell Vpower is offering a better premium diesel fuel than other Thai companies and I am happy to spend a bit extra for an engine that feels more happy and from my trials proves to do longer mileage, which makes the cost of fuel close to same. 

Off topic; For our gasoline car we only use PTT Gasoline 95 (pure gasoline and no ethanol) This fuel makes a bigger difference against other Premium 95+ fuels which has ethanol in the mix. There is a big difference in power and the mileage is around 20% better or 2 km per liter on our car with Gasoline 95.

And YES a turbo, will spool up faster with premium fuel vs. cheapest fuel. (can easily be proven, plenty of reports - but outside of Thailand)

Ikm per liter is pretty significant.