Widespread COVID-19 vaccinations not expected until mid-2021, WHO says

snoop1130

Widespread COVID-19 vaccinations not expected until mid-2021, WHO says

By Stephanie Nebehay and Emma Farge

2020-09-04T111709Z_1_LYNXMPEG830WD_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-VACCINE-UN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Small bottles labeled with a "Vaccine COVID-19" sticker and a medical syringe are seen in this illustration taken taken April 10, 2020. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/File Photo

GENEVA (Reuters) - The World Health Organization does not expect widespread vaccinations against COVID-19 until the middle of next year, a spokeswoman said on Friday, stressing the importance of rigorous checks on their effectiveness and safety.

None of the candidate vaccines in advanced clinical trials so far has demonstrated a "clear signal" of efficacy at the level of at least 50% sought by the WHO, spokeswoman Margaret Harris said.

Russia granted regulatory approval to a COVID-19 vaccine in August after less than two months of human testing, prompting some Western experts to question its safety and efficacy.

U.S. public health officials and Pfizer Inc said on Thursday a vaccine could be ready for distribution as soon as late October. That would be just ahead of the U.S. election on Nov. 3 in which the pandemic is likely to be a major factor among voters deciding whether President Donald Trump wins a second term.

"We are really not expecting to see widespread vaccination until the middle of next year," Harris told a U.N. briefing in Geneva.

"This phase 3 must take longer because we need to see how truly protective the vaccine is and we also need to see how safe it is," she added. This referred to the phase in vaccine research where large clinical trials among people are conducted. Harris did not refer to any specific vaccine candidate.

All data from trials must be shared and compared, Harris said. "A lot of people have been vaccinated and what we don't know is whether the vaccine works...at this stage we do not have the clear signal of whether or not it has the level of worthwhile efficacy and safety...," she added.

The WHO and GAVI vaccine alliance are leading a global vaccine allocation plan known as COVAX that aims to help buy and distribute shots fairly. The focus is on first vaccinating the most high-risk people in every country such as healthcare workers.

COVAX aims to procure and deliver 2 billion doses of approved vaccines by the end of 2021, but some countries that have secured their own supplies through bilateral deals, including the United States, have said they will not join.

"Essentially, the door is open. We are open. What the COVAX is about is making sure everybody on the planet will get access to the vaccines," Harris said.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-09-04

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thunder26 said:

Russia is ready to vaccinate their population at the moment. I don't know what WHO is thinking? India has already ordered large amount of vaccine from Russia.

"Widesprayed" means widespread, not only being available in a few countries.

On top of it, other countries may not accept to bypass the usual health controls as Russia did.

It's easy to give an emergency authorisation for a relatively untested drug such as remdesevir, because it concerns a limited number of people, who may not have any alternative treatment available.

Vaccines are inoculated to a large number of people, so it something goes wrong, it will go wrong at a large scale. That's why health organisations are so cautious with vaccines.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Hardly tested vaccine for something that is unlikely to affect me, no thanks.

I think western countries are going to have a hard job getting even 60% compliance with a vaccine, Asian countries will be 90%.

I wish you were right. I suspect it will very soon be made a condition of employment for many, a condition to travel, a condition to __________ fill in the blank. This is how it is going to be pushed on us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tounge Thaied said:

I wish you were right. I suspect it will very soon be made a condition of employment for many, a condition to travel, a condition to __________ fill in the blank. This is how it is going to be pushed on us.

Somehow I don't think it will get that far, it's getting a bit tetchy in the west with the restrictions now. There is a under swell of feeling that is likely to bubble up quite soon. Police are starting to get heavy handed with masks in the UK, check The Sun for the story and in Australia a guy got arrested for posting on Facebook about incitement, he was telling people to protest, check James Bartolo.

The conspiracy theorists are having a field day with these stories and more people are thinking the same, time to go back to normal, not new normal. The next couple of months will be interesting.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

None of the candidate vaccines in advanced clinical trials so far has demonstrated a "clear signal" of efficacy at the level of at least 50% sought by the WHO, spokeswoman Margaret Harris said.

and I guess it never will ...  and I hope it is never forced onto people that learned to think for themselves and take care of their body and immune system

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

There must be a vast number of people out there who just do not want anything to do with any vaccine, myself included. For something that in almost all cases is completely insignificant, give me half a lemon (Skin on, important !) in a blender, add hot water and honey, way to go ????

skin on, would not dare in thailand, with all the chemicals used, there is no ORGANIC

add ginger and honey

Edited by Bender Rodriguez

5 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Who are corrupt puppets for china and pharmacutical companies.whatever they say expect the opposite, the marxist macaroon boss should be tried for crimes againt humanity

10 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Hardly tested vaccine for something that is unlikely to affect me, no thanks.

I think western countries are going to have a hard job getting even 60% compliance with a vaccine, Asian countries will be 90%.

Does is matter much with Covid, if some folk decide not to get the vaccine? Fact is, many of those will likely contract Covid anyway. Some may have symptoms, others not at all, but we'll still get some form of herd immunity in time or am I missing something?

Will end up like a strain of flu, wandering around year after year but doing little harm.

Meantime, people who want the vaccine for the protection will get it. I would, just as I do the flu shot every year.

Edited by Donga

10 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Fauci says October.  China already has a vaccine probably tested on a bunch of criminals then forced in contact with covid positive people. Probably Thailand will get the Chinese vaccine sooner than later.

Fauci said it is unlikely that a vaccine will be ready by the end of October but not impossible. 

• Haha 1