970 under scrutiny for proximity to infected inmate: CCSA

webfact

970 under scrutiny for proximity to infected inmate: CCSA

By The Nation

800_373e11db24a2794.jpg

File photo for reference only

The first patient in Thailand in over 100 days was estimated to have been in the vicinity of at least 970 people, the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) said on Sunday.

The patient is a 37-year-old ex-DJ who is facing a drug charge.

Of the 970 people, 119 are high-risk and 851 low-risk, the CCSA said.

His six family members have been tested and no infection has been found.

Authorities tested 137 people residing at Baan Suan Thon condominium, the patient's residence, but no infection has been found.

In the Criminal Court, where he faces drugs charges, 492 people were exposed to him, of whom 14 were high-risk (11 tested negative, two results are awaited and one is still to be tested) and 478 have a low risk (146 tested negative while others are awaiting results).

Six people exposed to the patient in a correctional department hospital face 14 days of quarantine.

At the Central Correctional Institution, 36 inmates have tested negative, but are in a 14-day quarantine period. They have to be examined two more times, the CCSA said. Another group is 78 prison staff and volunteers of whom 24 were high-risk.

The Sam Wan Song Kuen pub and restaurant, Rama III branch, where the patient worked will be closed for 14 days for disinfecting.

At the Sam Wan Song Kuen pub and restaurant, Rama V branch, 25 were high-risk, but no infection was found, while 35 other low-risk people were in home quarantine.

Some 112 contacts on Khao San Road are low-risk but are undergoing home quarantine for 14 days.

Out of 970 infection suspects, 516 got tested (513 were negative and three are awaiting results) while others are in home quarantine before testing, according to criteria.

The CCSA said that people were dropping their guard on some key issues: temperature was not being taken at entry points; some people were not wearing masks or practising social distancing; they were drinking from the same glass, and not checking-in with ThaiChana Apps as they found the last data was registered on August 7.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394108

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-07

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

Finally there will be a very large number of people who will refuse to take the vaccine.

Some of the latest surveys done in US show only about 54% of people asked would get the vaccine if one was available.  Gonna be a lot of potential spreaders walking around even if vaccine is available.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

I do not know , but to me it seems highly unlikely that Thailand has so few infections ... Asymptomatic spreaders around , ( how did the DJ become infected ? ) , and just a little testing on the people in the country already ...

It is a little bit like Tschernobyl , In France they said that the toxic radioactive cloud just turned around at the border ...

Sorry to inform you that the last sentence of your comment is echoing a false but persistent rumour.

No minister, scientist or journalist has ever declared or written that the cloud "had stopped at the border". And in general, nothing in the communication of the Government ever made one think that the cloud had not flown over France. On the contrary, in May 1986, the authorities reported that "harmful particles had reached France", without presenting any "danger". I know...I was there.

1 hour ago, RBOP said:

He's lying about his contacts. That's why they can't find where he got it from or who he it gave it too.  Or it's just a big cover-up.

Would you remember ? I am sure I could not

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Learn from what? They only test people when they really have to and to keep people calm. Otherwise,the total amount of tests in a country with ~69 million people is ridiculously low. 

Exactly, you only have to ask yourself as to why Thailand, the so called champion of managing Covid is left off nearly, if not every travel bubble that I’m aware of? It’s simple, either the other countries believe that Thailand are carrying out too few tests to give a true accurate picture for them to make a fair assessment of the risk or they just don’t trust them to tell the truth altogether?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trip Hop said:

Exactly, you only have to ask yourself as to why Thailand, the so called champion of managing Covid is left off nearly, if not every travel bubble that I’m aware of? It’s simple, either the other countries believe that Thailand are carrying out too few tests to give a true accurate picture for them to make a fair assessment of the risk or they just don’t trust them to tell the truth altogether?

Not true Taiwan has them as low risk country and it's one of the safe countries to travel to Europe.

12 minutes ago, Trip Hop said:

It's called reciprocation. If they (Thailand) won't let our people into their country, why should we let their people into ours?

Why are so many people desperate to believe Thailand is a hot-bed of Covid 19? Just be happy that we do not have the problems that others face.

(Sorry, forgot this is Thai Visa and everything to do with Thailand must be bad and must be moaned about!)

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I went to a local restaurant the other night with some teacher friends, an up-market local restaurant.

No Thaichana, no signature record, no hand sanitiser, no-one [apart from me] wearing a mask,

Those irresponsible teachers patronising those "up-market" restaurants should be ashamed of their behaviour, I'm surprised that you didn't mention it to them.   At least they can be reassured that, because you wore a mask, you probably didn't infect them with anything (except when you were eating or drinking)!

Edited by Hi Tea

4 hours ago, chrisinth said:

While respecting the authorities contact tracing, it highlights the complexity of what they are facing when one person infected = 970 people of interest.

What is not clear in the OP is what happens to the people tested afterwards; only a few groups seem to have been picked out for isolation after the tests but not all? How will employers react to those people where isolation is deemed necessary, ie, will their jobs remain safe?

What happens when the borders reopen and we start getting more localized infections; we shouldn't delude ourselves that this isn't going to happen whether from labour forces from neighbouring countries or hi-so's given a free pass (yes, this will certainly happen again regardless of whats been said). Where will they put everyone selected for isolation?

Trying to be real here folks..................

Group Testing was I think promoted by the US CDC as a means to more quickly identify infection sources without wholesale massive daily testing of the entire population. But the US virus task force didn't proceed with any national plan for group testing.

1 hour ago, PaoloR said:

It's called reciprocation. If they (Thailand) won't let our people into their country, why should we let their people into ours?

Why are so many people desperate to believe Thailand is a hot-bed of Covid 19? Just be happy that we do not have the problems that others face.

(Sorry, forgot this is Thai Visa and everything to do with Thailand must be bad and must be moaned about!)

I think almost no one in Thaivisa is desperate to believe that Thailand is a hot-bed of Covid-19. But almost everyone is sure that Thailand is not transparent and honest about its true numbers, and does test ridiculously little. 

Thailand is definitely not overwhelmed by Covid, but it also is not free of it. It's just in the league of well performing countries, however more due to luck than to professionalism.

• Like 1