EM bracelets to be used from mid-Sept to reduce overcrowding in prisons

webfact

EM bracelets to be used from mid-Sept to reduce overcrowding in prisons

By The Nation

800_5e33d46d46cc44c.jpg?v=1599393904

The Justice Ministry will start using electronic monitoring (EM) bracelets from mid-September to solve the problem of overcrowding in prisons. Justice Minister Somsak Thepsutin had come up with the idea of using EMs to solve the overcrowding problem.

Prisons nationwide were capable of providing sleeping space without mattresses to 220,000 inmates, which improved to 300,000 units after double-beds were introduced.

Somsak aims to limit the number of prisoners to not more than 300,000 by using EM bracelets.

“We are going to start doing this in mid-September. EM stocks were low and the contract had been terminated. We have made 30,000 new devices. They will not be used for inmates not yet jailed by the courts, where cases are still being heard, or where bail has been granted, such as political prisoners or cases that are not very serious,” said Somsak.

In the cases of those receiving a suspended sentence from a court, a subcommittee will consider If an inmate meets the conditions for an EM. If the number of devices was not enough, and if the results after implementation are encouraging, more stocks could be arranged, he said.

Somsak added that the bracelet conformed to the standard of the ones currently used in court. Removal of the device without approval will entail punishment and a return to prison. In addition, those who wear bracelets must constantly report to the concerned official.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394104

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-07

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Prisons nationwide were capable of providing sleeping space without mattresses to 220,000 inmates, which improved to 300,000 units after double-beds were introduced.

The double beds look great!

c1_1824054_700.jpg

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

This EM Bracelet release scheme could be looked at in an entirely different light.. 

The Prison Authority says it is to reduce overcrowding in the Prisons, but it could be that if Prisoners are released under this scheme, there is less chance of Covid19 taking hold ( should it happen ) and becoming rampant in the Prison system due to less number of Prisoners which are then able to be moved around and Quarantined Etc

Just saying

They should just stop putting people in jail for drug USE if there were no other crimes like violence or using drugs while driving. 

That would help a lot lot of people in jail for simple drug use without any other crime is just stupid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

They should just stop putting people in jail for drug USE if there were no other crimes like violence or using drugs while driving. 

That would help a lot lot of people in jail for simple drug use without any other crime is just stupid.

In the ideal world, non violent drug possession charges would actual result in being sent to rehabilitation with resources that will help the addict sort their life out, instead of punishing them. You don't punish somebody who uses food as a crutch to deal with their problems, or somebody who gambles their life away, you offer them help 

On 9/7/2020 at 3:35 AM, webfact said:

Somsak added that the bracelet conformed to the standard of the ones currently used in court. Removal of the device without approval will entail punishment and a return to prison. In addition, those who wear bracelets must constantly report to the concerned official.

In UK, EM devices are used so that those wearing them do not have to report! They ensure curfew requirements are met and that a person is where they are supposed to be! They are supposedly tamperproof and send a signal to those monitoring if attempts are made to remove them. Prisoners on licence report to the Probation service without "tags". Failure to do so results in recall to prison! 

7 hours ago, Mung said:

In the ideal world, non violent drug possession charges would actual result in being sent to rehabilitation with resources that will help the addict sort their life out, instead of punishing them. You don't punish somebody who uses food as a crutch to deal with their problems, or somebody who gambles their life away, you offer them help 

quite often drug use is not a problem at all, unless it exceeds certain limits. Don't forget alcohol is classified a hard drug but most people use it.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, robblok said:

quite often drug use is not a problem at all, unless it exceeds certain limits. Don't forget alcohol is classified a hard drug but most people use it.

It is a personal experience and different for each individual, that's for sure. I used to experiment with and abuse all kinds of substances in my younger years, and in my case my life, health and career really took off when I stopped using all substances. 

8 minutes ago, Mung said:

It is a personal experience and different for each individual, that's for sure. I used to experiment with and abuse all kinds of substances in my younger years, and in my case my life, health and career really took off when I stopped using all substances. 

It kinda depend what you take and how much but yea high drug use (alcohol included) does not combine well with a good job.

15 hours ago, robblok said:

It kinda depend what you take and how much but yea high drug use (alcohol included) does not combine well with a good job.

Everyone is different, even weed makes me unproductive and lazy. I know some people can really prosper all the while smoking the stuff, I can't. 
I experimented with all sorts, from potent hallucinogens such as acid and mushrooms, to party stims, dissociatives and downers. For me, my life has been the best it ever has and that was as a direct result of stopping everything and starting to focus on my fitness personality and career. Some people cannot do moderation, and so instead of throwing that energy into abusing substances, we put it into something productive. 

I would like to see most substances decriminalised and only the dealers to see punishment, much like in Portugal. I personally believe that is the best way to go. People who are addicts and need help should be helped. 

1 minute ago, Mung said:

Everyone is different, even weed makes me unproductive and lazy. I know some people can really prosper all the while smoking the stuff, I can't. 
I experimented with all sorts, from potent hallucinogens such as acid and mushrooms, to party stims, dissociatives and downers. For me, my life has been the best it ever has and that was as a direct result of stopping everything and starting to focus on my fitness personality and career. Some people cannot do moderation, and so instead of throwing that energy into abusing substances, we put it into something productive. 

I would like to see most substances decriminalised and only the dealers to see punishment, much like in Portugal. I personally believe that is the best way to go. People who are addicts and need help should be helped. 

I get unproductive too if i smoke too much weed. It also sabotages my diet (not good for a gym rat). So its all about choices. 

I did a lot of stuff too i can do moderation but because i go full power for my gym work plus legality issues i choose not to here. 

But i agree about your point the Portugal stuff is good. Actually the government should just sell the stuff at least you know you don't get bad stuff (but that would be hard to do legally and morally ect)

• Like 1