Brexit back in crisis as UK threatens to undercut divorce pact

snoop1130

4 hours ago, dimitriv said:

After Brexit everything will be better for the UK. They can blame nobody for their poverty anymore. They will have control over their own fishing water and the UK industry will florish like it never did before.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha ????

Losers.

I wonder if he sounds like one of those Cadbury's Smash men?

• Haha 1

Threatening that Scotland would lose the ability to use sterling (George Osborne), was a scare tactic of the project fear initiated by the Better Together campaign (they admit themselves to calling it project fear internally).

By the time of the next Scottish referendum - possibly 2024 - the choice between sterling and the Euro may not be as clear cut as the project fear people may have thought - Scotland could choose to use either currency as a third party country - some small countries such as Andorra and Kosovo use the Euro even though they are not part of the EU, many countries use USD and I once visited Tuvalu which is an independent country but uses Australian dollars.

It would be an interesting market forces experiment for Scotland - post independence - to allow the use of both sterling and the Euro and to see which ends up being preferred as a trading mechanism.

The effect of a no-deal Brexit crash out on WTO terms at the end of 2020, would be serious for small firms having to deal with extra bureaucracy and tariffs, but the overall effect on UK GDP will probably be swamped by the downturn caused by Covid - so will be difficult to determine, but the more long-lasting effect will be on financial services on which the UK is more dependent than most, and a severe downturn in this area would knock sterling.  

So four years on from Brexit will be an interesting time

Edited by crobe
typo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And the fishing rights belong to whoever bought them.

And those fishing right owners will land their fish at EU ports from 1 Jan 2021 to avoid WTO-import duty and all veterinarian fuzz when imported via the UK to the EU. 

5 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

And those fishing right owners will land their fish at EU ports from 1 Jan 2021 to avoid WTO-import duty and all veterinarian fuzz when imported via the UK to the EU. 

And if you think the UK government will protect fishing rights - think again.

As fishing is a devolved policy, the way the quota is managed differs around the UK.

England and Wales, where a majority voted for Brexit, have both allowed foreign ownership of more than half their fishing quota.

In Wales, which is allocated a tiny share of the UK quota, the figure is as high as 85% of the annual value - most of it held by one big industrial trawler.

But in Scotland, which is responsible for about 60% of the UK quota, only 4% of the annual value in 2019 was in foreign hands. In Northern Ireland the figure was 2%.

"The Scottish fishing industry is largely made up of family-owned businesses," said Elspeth MacDonald, from the Scottish Fishermen's Federation.

Courtesy - BBC

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s a fair bet that these industries are also reliant on tariff free trade and time critical supply chains across the EU. 

So... relocate to somewhere inside the EU. BMW-Mini goes to Borne- prov Limburg- NL.

While the British are discussing FISH ( yes, of all ... F I S H ) , the Europeans discuss industrial production (re-)allocation.

Next: financials = no €uro-business outside €uro-land.

Edited by puipuitom

6 hours ago, dimitriv said:

After Brexit everything will be better for the UK. They can blame nobody for their poverty anymore. They will have control over their own fishing water and the UK industry will florish like it never did before.

Fishing waters: Yes, but fishing rights are sold to others.

British Industry ? ? Which ? ? Most are in foreign hands... look at the British car industry... 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

The withdrawal agreement was negotiated and agreed by Johnson, not May.  He now plans to renege on that agreement. which shows just what a weasel the man is! 

Let's see what is what first. 

5 hours ago, crobe said:

Vickers-Armstrong, who made the Spitfire became BAC (which made the Tornado) which became Bae, and the engines were from Rolls-Royce - so one of the few occasions where it is not sold off to foreign ownership

Rolls Royce is partly owned by Germany: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Holdings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I relocated my business to mainland Europe many months ago, actually before Johnson became PM.  The writing was on the wall and I did it in the hope of relocating back if a suitable deal was struck.  So glad I did! 

I hope that your business is doing well in these difficult times?

Many pro-Brexit supporters dismiss concerns about the negative effect on business in the UK as fear-mongering. Well, here's a real life example. Jobs and revenue lost to the UK. 

If reports are to be believed then certainly not an isolated example https://www.euronews.com/amp/2020/02/19/brexit-number-of-companies-relocating-to-the-netherlands-is-accelerating

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RayC said:

I hope that your business is doing well in these difficult times?

Many pro-Brexit supporters dismiss concerns about the negative effect on business in the UK as fear-mongering. Well, here's a real life example. Jobs and revenue lost to the UK. 

If reports are to be believed then certainly not an isolated example https://www.euronews.com/amp/2020/02/19/brexit-number-of-companies-relocating-to-the-netherlands-is-accelerating

Thank you.  Before the lockdown and after the move the business was doing very well.  Time will tell how well business bounces back but it looks positive.  When I looked at relocating several other business owners were looking at doing the same thing.  Five of us did and we now share premises.  Three more businesses are in the process of joining us.  I am able to run everything from the UK as my business involves import/export internationally.  We are all small businesses with the largest employing 12 people locally.

• Like 2