Wine making in Bangkok

OzMan

Has anybody tried making wine here? There are 3 places in bkk that sell home brewing supplies, my concern is the temperature. Books say that white wine should be made below 70 degrees, while red wine below 76 degrees. 76 degrees is borderline, while 70 degrees would be impossible to achieve for the 12 months it takes to ferment. Has anybody tried this?

It's against the law here.

I have made wine from apple, ginger, raspberry, blueberry with varying degrees of success, also hard cider and ginger beer (best results are from the latter two).

I don't have any means of refrigeration, so my wines ferment at room temperature (28C-ish) then I keep them in a darkened and insulated place to clear (22C-ish) before bottling.

Definitely not perfect conditions. The outcome is drinkable, but won't win any prizes.

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

I don't have any means of refrigeration, so my wines ferment at room temperature (28C-ish) then I keep them in a darkened and insulated place to clear (22C-ish) before bottling.

Lol im not call that wine its "type of homemade alcoholic drink". You can get it in tour of Thai prison, just localy made there for you!

22 minutes ago, Jack Hna said:

Yeah so what. What's your point? 

Some people like to understand the risks before they spend their time and money.

Nobody's said "don't do it".  They're saying "understand what you're getting into".

The OP wouldn't be the first guy to get a big fine and/or a one way ride to the airport for doing something that they didn't know was illegal.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OzMan said:

Has anybody tried this?

Yes, for red wine. No fancy apparatus -- I use 6 Liters of 100% red grape juice, 1 Liter of water, 2 cups of sugar, bakers yeast. Ferment in plastic/glass jar for around 10 days at room temperature. Siphon with plastic tubing to 2nd container (I use a glass container with sealed lid from Thai Watsadu which has a drain valve). Leave to settle. Don't bother with finings or bubble trap, who cares if it's a bit cloudy. Perfectly acceptable taste. Cost around 60 baht a Liter. Why pay their exorbitant tax on wine?

Edited by Raphael Hythlodaeus
  • Like 1

My understanding is that any form of home-brewing is illegal, that being the case this thread is closed.

If anyone has credible information to the contrary please PM myself or any on-line mod and we can re-open.