UK appoints new ambassador to Thailand

webfact

13 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

well looks like a step up from the recent standard, at least he has a tie on. Wish they still did leaving letters, part of the famous one in 1967

Sir Anthony Rumbold, Thailand, 1967: It is true that they have no literature, no painting and only a very odd kind of music, that their sculpture, their ceramics and their dancing are borrowed from others and that their architecture is monotonous and their interior decoration hideous.

Nobody can deny that gambling and golf are the chief pleasures of the rich and that licentiousness is the main pleasure of them all.

But it does a faded European good to spend some time among such a jolly, extrovert and anti-intellectual people

Typical snobbery.  A disgrace to real British people.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

That's great.

Some more education:

Not every embassy or consulate are the same. ????

To me it seems like you need education, and not me. First you laugh at the two embassy/consulates I mentioned. When you find out I have personal experience of using them as a non-citizen, then it´s that all ain´t the same. ???????????? Really??? Just go to bed now!

It´s as simple that you personally can not request such document, but the company you works for or have salary from can request that they provide you with such document. Hope you understood now. Lesson over. Schools out for today!

8 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

When you find out I have personal experience

:huh:

Errr, nobody found that out. It's only an anonymous person writing on a forum. ????

Though, when somebody is wrong online, they do often shout 'I've done it!' ????

Not that somebody doing it with the consulate in Malta would make any difference, as not all embassies and consulates are the same. 

56 minutes ago, Nout said:

Typical snobbery.  A disgrace to real British people.

Na, a great man of distinction and well observed, as true today as it was back then. Worthy of Oscar WIlde I think, but you would probably call him something as well ????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, anterian said:

So we have one gay replaced with another gay, the UK must think Thailand is the right place for them.He seems to have a rather pro EU background.

Honestly it's not very smart to judge someone 

based on his sexual orientation.

I mean if you go to hospital for surgery, you want a good surgeon

the fact that he is gay or not is totally irrelevant and i am sure you

will not ask to him if he is married to a lady or a man before to enter the operating room

16 hours ago, 2long said:

No news on the reason to leave or the future of that Scottish fella (Brian), then?

Maybe He has done his time ... 4 years

He did a great job especially knowing his background ( His previous job was Consul and it was his first time as an Ambassador)

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Na, a great man of distinction and well observed, as true today as it was back then. Worthy of Oscar WIlde I think, but you would probably call him something as well ????

He should have kept his snobbish, insulting options to himself.  Typical of his entitled class to look down on anything not conforming to British prejudices.

2 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

That's great.

Some more education:

Not every embassy or consulate are the same. ????

Yes they are. UK embassy staff share a commonality of class snobbery, vanity and a lack of concern about their fellow citizens.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Disparate Dan said:

Just about sums up UK's place in the world these days... Not that we are allowed to say what we actually think.

Ex public school gays permeate the diplomatic service and the British Council is the same too.

26 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

It was humour , a tradition of UK Gov employees to leave a message to the person who is going to replace them in their position, not meant to be taken seriously , kind of like *Welcome to your new job*

It was a private letter from one departing Ambassador to an arriving one. 

However, I’m not so sure all the comments were meant in jest - they are simply too close to the bone. 

While extremely damning, and as much as I hate to admit it, its difficult not to agree with much of the content of the letter. 

Heres the full letter - It made quite a stir and almost an international incident when it was released.

Sir-Anthony-Rumbold.pdf

Edited by richard_smith237

7 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

:huh:

Errr, nobody found that out. It's only an anonymous person writing on a forum. ????

Though, when somebody is wrong online, they do often shout 'I've done it!' ????

Not that somebody doing it with the consulate in Malta would make any difference, as not all embassies and consulates are the same. 

I thought you would turn the conversation that way. That´s also what people do when they know that they have lost. I can´t care less. Just trying to give my experience as an information to others that might need to know. If you don´t need and have another solution then up to you. Just leave it with that.

After that you are laughing at me???? I am not the one with the problem, Am I?????

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It was a private letter from one departing Ambassador to an arriving one. 

However, I’m not so sure all the comments were meant in jest - they are simply too close to the bone. 

While extremely damning, and as much as I hate to admit it, its difficult not to agree with much of the content of the letter. 

Heres the full letter - It made quite a stir and almost an international incident when it was released.

What an excellent read! It appears that not much has changed in the last 40 plus years, except for the expansion of Bangkok.

• Like 1