Pattaya: After the busy long weekend the resort is completely deserted again

webfact

8 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

There are lots of interesting staying options nowadays and Thailand simply has been very less welcoming in past years for unknown reasons so why return In a hurry with a complicated visa structure  no thanks !

The reasons are known, by most that have been in LOS long enough to lose the saffron glasses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DBath said:

Did anyone really think because of Songkran things were going to magically return to tourism levels of 2019 in Thailand with borders still closed - for all intents and purposes?

Nope, no one did. Ever, at any time.

Now what we do have is an endless supply of posters here who need to pretend that someone thinks so, a straw man. That's in order to posture as shrewd Tourism & Travel Industry Experts and ace Economists with brilliant Solutions that the stupid Thais couldn't possibly think of, though everyone did long ago.

TAT: TVF denies that domestic tourism exists and will invariably trot out a standard set of spurious and often bigoted arguments to fight any suggestion that it does. So the same "points" just get repeated over and over in all these threads touching on domestic tourism, which, fortunately for page views, come out during & after every holiday weekend.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, isnakebite said:

Maybe so, but under the current situation will the same number of hotels and restaurants be open for their custom next time around? I doubt that the number available will increase.

If hotels close in numbers the ones that are left can up their prices,then most Thais won't be able to afford them Pattaya will end up with even less visitors.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Do you have any actual statistics showing expats and foreign retirees declining over 50% from 2010 to 2019?  I am not being facetious--I'm curious about how many there were in 2010 vs. 2019.  Everyone I know is still here and I've met new people moving here in those years so I am just curious as I wouldn't have thought there would be that big a drop, or much of a drop at all with the new Asian expats that were coming.

I can't speak for the retirees, as they probably didn't frequent the tourist bar beers much, however most farang male tourists came for the bargirls, so one could see how busy the bars were. Before corona the bars were less busy than 10 years before. While it may not be a physical count, it is some sort of evidence. In the 90s the busy area was soi 7 and 8. That was very quiet before corona and Buakao was busier, but not enough numbers to say the same number of punters as 10 years before.

It's no surprise to me, as it was obvious the girls were abandoning the bars for the internet. There may have been busy hotels, but the bars were already suffering. City hall would know for sure, as they record the number of occupied hotel rooms.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

RIP Pattaya ....  start digging the graves same as Phuket  :violin:

Yeah, but you see after each Final Death and Burial comes the exhumation, the new autopsies, the new TVF Coroners Reports (citing the same reasons as before), the issuance of new Final Death Certificates, a chorus of new RIPs, and then the reburial. Then it all begins again, usually at next Low or High Season, but now weekly.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Before corona the bars were less busy than 10 years before.

But there was a much larger number of bars than 10 years before. Typical problem with the near-sighted Eyeballs unencumbered by mere reasoning. A few bars crowded means hoppin', great economy. A larger number of bars with more patrons, but not crowded, means dead.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Talk to you songtheaw driver he knows exactly what’s up !

How does a songthaew driver know exactly who is an expat or retiree? Like many such, I haven't ridden a baht bus in quite a long time. Retirement extensions and AARP memberships now being checked?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

How does a songthaew driver know exactly who is an expat or retiree? Like many such, I haven't ridden a baht bus in quite a long time. Retirement extensions and AARP memberships now being checked?

Fine ur way pattaya is booming, real estate agents there u need to line up for to buy and to rent a property, taxies always full , bars full,  hotels full , all my expats friends favor thailand as number 1 destination in Asia.. ????????????

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, isnakebite said:

Maybe so, but under the current situation will the same number of hotels and restaurants be open for their custom next time around? I doubt that the number available will increase.

What does an increase have to do with anything. There were still empty surpless rooms last weekend. My point was that that people who came from outside of Pattaya to visit last week will return on regular weekends. People, apart from some Pattaya haters on this forum, really like Pattaya and have a great time.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Fine ur way pattaya is booming, real estate agents there u need to line up for to buy and to rent a property, taxies always full , bars full,  hotels full , all my expats friends favor thailand as number 1 destination in Asia.. ????????????

What are you on about? Your statements are clearly not true. What is your point?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I can't speak for the retirees, as they probably didn't frequent the tourist bar beers much, however most farang male tourists came for the bargirls, so one could see how busy the bars were. Before corona the bars were less busy than 10 years before. While it may not be a physical count, it is some sort of evidence. In the 90s the busy area was soi 7 and 8. That was very quiet before corona and Buakao was busier, but not enough numbers to say the same number of punters as 10 years before.

It's no surprise to me, as it was obvious the girls were abandoning the bars for the internet. There may have been busy hotels, but the bars were already suffering. City hall would know for sure, as they record the number of occupied hotel rooms.

The girls abandoning bars and clubs for the internet is a myth.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

No it can't, you will see.

Agreed , its not like a ballon you can deflate.

Nobody will downsize the infrastructure because that's wasted money , it does not produce anything , costs money to downsize.

And you can't shrink the map also. Hence fixed costs would remain those of a large city but with far less people to pay for the same infrastructure.

In Physics we call this irreversibility. You can't backtrack , you have to go somewhere else.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:
12 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Being a quiet seaside resort with palm trees and sand and little traffic is what first drew people to Pattaya. Maybe it's going full circle and will be a pleasant place to visit again. Just not what it became, noisy, over-crowded, polluted, full of scams. Which would people prefer?

Are you sure about that? It wasn't much of a beach resort before it became popular for a different reason. Just a fishing village with a dirt road along the beach. No hotels or restaurants.

That's my point. Restaurants and hotels closing down, far less people. Back to the future.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was looking for actual statistics on a poster's claim of an over 50% decline in expats and retirees from 2010 to 2019, not a stroll down Memory Lane.  

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yup but statistics are worthless  here and you know that very well therefore instead ask 3 songtheaw/taxi drivers about foreigners in Thailand! They know and i know and maybe finally u will know it too..

So, no actual statistics.  

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, newnative said:

I was looking for actual statistics on a poster's claim of an over 50% decline in expats and retirees from 2010 to 2019, not a stroll down Memory Lane.  

Prolly still digging round inside his anus to see if he can pull them out... just like he did for the 50% number !!

• Like 2