Thai hospitals and companies hit by ransomware attacks

snoop1130

Thai hospitals and companies hit by ransomware attacks

2020-09-10T114703Z_1_LYNXMPEG8911B_RTROPTP_4_BOSNIA-CYBER.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Silhouette of mobile device user is seen next to a screen projection of binary code are seen in this picture illustration taken March 28, 2018. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Hospitals and companies in Thailand were hit by hackers who held their computer systems and data ransom, demanding payment to restore information, police said on Thursday.

"Government hospitals and companies were hacked in the same manner as Saraburi Hospital," Major General Phanthana Nutchanart, said, referring to a cyber attack earlier this month.

Saraburi Hospital could not access its data on Sept. 5, slowing operations relying on manual functions, but the hospital did not receive a demand for payment.

Some organisations that received ransom demands have already paid to retrieve data, in sums not exceeding 1 million baht (24,668.23 pounds), he said, adding that the total number of organizations affected was still being investigated.

Hackers attacked organisations with a "ransomware" code, which locks up the files on a computer and encrypts them, blocking access until the ransom is paid, usually in cryptocurrency like bitcoin.

In 2017, the WannaCry ransomware attack disrupted hospitals and businesses across the world.

Thai police believe that the virus originated in Europe.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-09-10

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, phetphet said:

You can buy insurance against ransomware attacks, but the insurers require that you follow some security procedures or install protective hardware. I guess these places don't want to spend the outlay for such protection.

my buddy in the US had insurance.  Sure enough, his system was hacked, they found his policy, they asked for and got the whole $5mil!

12 hours ago, phetphet said:

You can buy insurance against ransomware attacks, but the insurers require that you follow some security procedures or install protective hardware. I guess these places don't want to spend the outlay for such protection.

But some seem prepared to pay the ransom to retrieve information.

backward thinking again.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, thedemon said:

Even I have an automatic data backup that protects against ransomware on my home network. It seems surprising that big organisations like a hospital wouldn't at least have the same. It really just entails backing up the data to storage where the rest of the network doesn't have write access.

Perhaps new variants are more sophisticated.

Note Europe blamed again

Data breach at hospital: Thais investigating malware attack "from Europe"

9pm.jpg

Picture: INN

Experts in IT from the police, military and the Ministry of the Digital Economy and Society are investigating a malware attack on Saraburi Hospital and other private businesses. 

INN reported that there had been data breaches at a hospital and elsewhere though the Saraburi Hospital was yet to receive a ransom demand. 

Pol Maj-Gen Phanthana Nuchanat, a senior policeman involved in drug related matters, admitted data breaches and said that some private companies had already paid ransoms. 

Investigations have shown that the malware originated in mainland Europe. 

Investigations continue

Source: INN

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-11

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, J Town said:

I was a database manager for a U.S. Naval hospital. Backup systems are at the bottom of their wish list. I screamed like a raped ape how important it was, particularly in cases like pap smears where the history, if lost, could threaten lives, but it just never happened. We never got more than a two-week backup, and THAT process was quite suspect.  I can only imagine how low on a Thai totem pole a backup system can be.

Dead n buried deeper than the pole.