Special Tourist Visa: Thais hesitant and cautious about letting foreigners in

Special Tourist Visa: Thais hesitant and cautious about letting foreigners in

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM8G0N9p0midsX4ftqYe1oQVSuZuE.png

Image: Thai PBS

A report by Thai PBS suggested that Thai people were hesitant about letting foreigners back into the country and were urging caution to prevent further coronavirus infections coming in from abroad. 

The media said that the Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) had agreed in principal to plans that would grant special tourist visas to foreigners coming from low risk countries. 

The plan is to allow a ninety day stay that could be renewed twice to allow tourists to stay for 270 days. They would still have to go through a 14 day initial quarantine in line with the much vaunted and discussed "Phuket Model". 

The plan was confusing to Thais, said the media who interviewed people in the Wat Phra Kaew (Temple of the Emerald) Buddha area of downtown Bangkok.

A woman who they said was a representative of souvenir sellers in the area said despite the fact that they could not sell their wares to Thais they were hesitant about foreigners being allowed back into Thailand.

She said that the government needed to make sure that any opening of the country was tightly controlled. She suggested only allowing group tours that could be followed around and closely monitored to stop a second wave of infection. 

A tourism group representative called Pakorn Patikarapong spoke of VIPs being allowed in and mistakes having been made in doing that. He urged caution and expressed a lack of confidence in the government. 

A woman called Thapanee Kiatphaiboon who represents an association that makes products for tourists was broadly in agreement with the special tourist visa saying that it would mean only those from relatively safe countries would enter Thailand. 

She said it was right that the visa would target well-heeled foreigners with high spending power who could stay long term and would be able to undergo all the quarantine requirements as announced under the Phuket Model scheme.

Source: Thai PBS

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-12

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Realistically, how many well-heeled foreigners are there who want to come to Thailand and immediately be herded into quarantine for 14 days before being treated with fear and loathing by the locals? I'm sure there are Caribbean islands that have more to offer them than getting ripped off in Phuket.

Judging from the comments of some members here who would think of applying for all sorts of visa (ed, volunteer, tourist) just to stay in Thailand, Thailand is definitely heaven to them compared to Caribbean.

Don't ask me why when Americans travel half way round the world instead of somewhere nearer like Caribbean.

Edited by warcy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Realistically, how many well-heeled foreigners are there who want to come to Thailand and immediately be herded into quarantine for 14 days before being treated with fear and loathing by the locals? I'm sure there are Caribbean islands that have more to offer them than getting ripped off in Phuket.

i came here to post just that sentiment

7 hours ago, warcy said:

Judging from the comments of some members here who would think of applying for all sorts of visa (ed, volunteer, tourist) just to stay in Thailand, Thailand is definitely heaven to them compared to Caribbean.

I considered going to the Caribbean when amnesty ends, but from Thailand I found it impossible to get there without transiting through a country that triggered a quarantine on arrival.  So ultimately I decided to get a long term visa here in thailand.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

I considered going to the Caribbean when amnesty ends, but from Thailand I found it impossible to get there without transiting through a country that triggered a quarantine on arrival.  So ultimately I decided to get a long term visa here in thailand.  

Try HK, SINGA, DBX

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I just did a major cleanup to remove many off topic posts meant to deflect the topic and replies to them.

Just reminder this topic is about Thailand not other countries. 

Post will wll now be removed without further notice..

About time.  So many on here just cant help themselves. Twisted haters that just hate.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

More now than ever during visa amnesty and covid, there's a plethora of so called "news" about policies under consideration or promised by some deputy minister of blah blah who has no authority. Now that the amnesty deadline is 2 weeks away and thousands of foreigners have to get serious about legitimate extension or a one-way ticket outta here, this 90-day extendable tourist visa concept should be officially either verified or scrapped. And any poll about Thais wanting farang to stay or go or come back will depend entirely if said Thais are reliant on tourism. Rich Thais who already have money don't give a damn about "filthy foreigners". I just re-extended another year, but I've been in "quarantine" for six months and have been here 17 years, virtually zero risk. 

I disagree ... you are not 'virtually zero risk' ... you are Zero risk .. just like any other Thai .. ????.

Simply put .. once you have been in Thailand for 'a month' .. and are not C19 positive. You are just like any other Thai ... So whatever risk they are .. you are ...

That should be the message that the government should put out ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mickymouse1 said:
8 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

Try HK, SINGA, DBX

I did, there are no flights to the caribbean from those.

They need to get their head around the idea that there is nothing stopping them from issuing new visas or stamps in-country, even temporarily. The revenue keeps flowing such as it is now and they still can keep track of us. Requiring people to cross an imaginary line under these circumstances is needless.

Edited by fondue zoo
typo
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Yes. But it is more affordable to visit Phuket from Europe than a Caribbian island. While Phuket is overpriced, so are the Carribian islands. And do they want Cov19 brought in?

20 hours ago, Senechal said:

Don't forget digital nomads.

There are millions of people who write, code, design, manage social media, make apps, consult, teach-remotely, manage remote teams, run online stores, publish websites, have YouTube channels etc.

I know dozens of people who are not "well heeled" at all but have been expats for more than a decade, making a modest living.

Smart countries like Estonia, Barbados, Portugal, Lithuania, etc. are rolling out the red carpet to digital nomads. All in all they're great for the economy. They pull money in from outside, and spend it on rent, restaurants, pubs, hotels, etc. They're GDP-positive.  

These people aren't allowed to just hang out in Thailand and work. They need a work permit and theoretically pay taxes as well.

Yes it has been possible for now because Immigration / MOL chose to look the other way.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I just did a major cleanup to remove many off topic posts meant to deflect the topic and replies to them.

Just reminder this topic is about Thailand not other countries. 

Posts will wll now be removed without further notice..

Just a reminder after removing a few more and that includes some bickering posts.

On 9/12/2020 at 4:28 PM, edwardandtubs said:

I am married to a thai, have properties in Phuket and would love to come next months and stay till april, but as long as they demand 15 nights imprisoned  in a hotel room me and my wife won't  come back to Thailand. There are plenty alternatives  to go to...    They must be dreaming. 99% wont come under this conditions.   Instead Corona Check when boarding, corona check when landing and maybe again after 3 days. 15 nights quarantine? Never

• Like 2

A 270-day tourist visa sounds like a step in the right direction to me. Few people will want to travel to Thailand on a single entry, go through expensive quarantine, and leave after 3 months.

10 years ago you could get a visa "for the purpose of visiting friends" that could let you stay in Thailand for 15 months (with 3-monthly border runs).