Noise pollution

Johnb121257

External noise drives me up the wall as well. We hardly ever hear any neighbour noise, so that's a positive.

Our noise comes from the noisy scooters exhausts and the <deleted>ty diesel buses. We bought on the 26th floor, thinking it was high enough but alas not quite as I anticipated. I should have opened the windows when we inspected, so my bad for that one. No noise with the windows shut which is one saving grace.

So now I'm looking for a quiet holiday retreat, so that I can escape periodically. My wife isn't unduly phased by the noise and hates quiet locations. She says they make her feel lonely, so go figure.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, fishtank said:

Thais love noise and it will never stop.

You can report to whoever you want and it will make no difference.

I would have agreed, but read a survey recently that asked...... what causes them (Thais) most stress in their lives Answer?.....loud music and loud neighbours......which I find hard to believe.

I always say Thais and loudspeakers are like rats in London.....you are never more than 20' away from one.

46 minutes ago, sand th said:

i too hate them **** aussies and brits here yelling like chinese tourists.

100000 times worse.

wish them move back to their countries real soon.

be gone~~~

Could be worst if it was Norwegian/ Thai's.

They like to drink and attempt to sing at the same time  ????

By the way I cant move back to Aus, not enough whinging poms there at the moment

Edited by Grumpy one
  • Haha 1

I agree with other posters that 3M brand expanding foam earplugs are the only ones that work. And you need the right technique to get them in properly.

But they won't work with a thumping bass that is close or a screaming baby next door.

I only use them when it is noisy when I'm sleeping. I find the sensory deprivation helps one to sleep. But I couldn't wear them during the day. 

On 9/14/2020 at 7:52 PM, Johnb121257 said:

I don’t know if soundproofing the windows would work

If the windows are not perfectly seal then you will hear noise from outside. If that's the case (you need to check the windows for open gaps) replacing windows will make it much quieter, but it won't work for low frequency (base) since it goes thru anything. Most aluminum sliding windows have open gaps all around. CPVC windows are much better, but their color change after some years. Show the windows to professional window shop for advice and free estimate. 
I have the same problem with my bedroom sliding aluminum window and I'm sure if I replace the window then I'll receive much less outside noise. 

Edited by The Theory

is there a Company anyone knows that could attempt to block out external noise

I don't see a single answer to your question so far. Mostly, with the notable exception of our Earpluggers, the devotees of Little Miss Muffet have hijacked the thread as usual with completely superfluous "I told you sos" and self-congratulations.

You have a relatively minor problem likely to solve itself eventually, but you can work around it now with some soundproofing, not that difficult to find. It's not like the noise issue hasn't been discussed a hundred times on the forum.

Bang Saray's a nice place to be and you can enjoy your condo there. You need UPVC windows anyway. I don't have a noise problem, yet I wish I'd put them in years before I did. And there's more you can do as well; I've seen it done. So then at night if you need anything it'll be at most your TV, your air con, or some white noise/music.

Companies and good leads can be found simply by doing a search:

Double glazing

UPVC in Pattaya

Pattaya soundproofing

For example, some useful advice here:

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Or brick the windows up!

This is for sure the best advice. Close the window space with bricks. Outside you install a camera and inside the room the camera view is displayed on a big TV where the window was before. If you don't like noise simply switch the volume of the TV lower. There are many options but here in Thailand this might be the only one that really works. 

Edited by Oldie

On 9/14/2020 at 9:34 PM, Johnb121257 said:

Hi Oldie

yes it’s the the bass sounds that are the worst - I’m sitting here now wearing noise cancelling headphones watching the television - totally ridiculous to have to do this but until I can get rid of the Condo I suppose the ignorant and selfish people outside will just continue

thanks for replying

john

Join their party! My two wood and glass door are very ecceftive at blocking street noise  Definitely worth a try.

Johnb121257 reply is most correct.  I have addressed this issue many times in the past for posters with the same problem.   Yes, it can be mitigated but at a substantial cost.  Triple pane glass, double walls, floating floor to name a few.  Not cost effective unless you simply love your location.   A 50% mitigation is possible at some cost.  If your current situation is making your life miserable and you do not wish to go the distance with costs then make another plan.

PM me if I can be of further assistance.  Best regards.

12 minutes ago, tpthai2 said:

Johnb121257 reply is most correct.  I have addressed this issue many times in the past for posters with the same problem.   Yes, it can be mitigated but at a substantial cost.  Triple pane glass, double walls, floating floor to name a few.  Not cost effective unless you simply love your location.   A 50% mitigation is possible at some cost.  If your current situation is making your life miserable and you do not wish to go the distance with costs then make another plan.

PM me if I can be of further assistance.  Best regards.

Why don't you give us at least a hint of your assistance without a PM? Then we can get an idea if you can be of further assistance? I would be interested too. 

• Like 1

Since you want to sell, I'm sure you don't want to be sticking more money in the place.   Potentially a cheaper fix than replacing windows would be some heavy duty curtains.   Thick curtains could help absorb the sound, may help insulate, and may add something to your resale.  Hang a comforter or some such over the windows to see if it has any impact at all, before spending your dough.

We're on the 17th floor on Sukhumvit in Phra Kanong, but our apartment faces away from Sukhumvit Road.  With windows closed, I'm shocked at how quiet is is inside.   

On 9/14/2020 at 9:00 AM, fishtank said:

Thais love noise and it will never stop.

You can report to whoever you want and it will make no difference.

Here in the USA, we can have a Thanksgiving or Christmas party at our house with a dozen or more people, kids running amok and the gals yacking.  My brother in law can lay down on the couch and snooze for a half hour.  Boggles the mind.

Your living ia a foreign country with a different culture, Assimilate now & then get on with your life. It's you who needs to change. If you waste money on soundproofing your just shutting out the society in which you chose to call your home. Then you'll become prisoner in your own home. Open your windows & welcome the sound of the Cockerels. If you think that the rest of the people living around you are being Quote "Ignorant & Selfish", then please think again for your own sanity.

Please checkout this web site. http://thesowardsinthailand.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-ayutthaya-rooster.html Then you might understand why The Thai's love their chicken's so much. It's about how a Thai Prince who bet his Kingdom on a chicken fight & won. All Thai's love their chickens.

Edited by Wavel
A very important addition, to let the Newbie have a better understanding of Thai Culture.

On 9/14/2020 at 9:58 PM, genericptr said:

I feel your pain my friend. The only real solution is to reduce the density of Thais which live around you and to survey the area before you move. They simply do not care and they will not stop. 

Given your quote, maybe you should do as THEY say and go back to where you came from.....

4 hours ago, Wavel said:

The Thai's love their chicken's so much. It's about how a Thai Prince who bet his Kingdom on a chicken fight & won. All Thai's love their chickens.

Yes right on mate.

Capture.JPG

Edited by quake

On 9/14/2020 at 9:02 PM, Oldie said:

You have to get some in Thailand. Double glazed.

Also the frames need to block the noise. 

OP could benefit from double glazed but adding additional wood shutters and lined heavy curtains does muffle a lot of outside sound. 

In addition internal walls can be sound proofed too. 

Best he rents or sells and go locate somewhere to his liking. 

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

OP could benefit from double glazed but adding additional wood shutters and lined heavy curtains does muffle a lot of outside sound. 

In addition internal walls can be sound proofed too. 

Best he rents or sells and go locate somewhere to his liking. 

In your quote you change the meaning of my statement. Double glazed windows will not bring much noise reduction. Even worse. Since both panes have normally the same thickness and little space between them they might depending on the frequency increase the noise. 

Here my words again

"You have to get some in Thailand. Double glazed windows alone don't bring much. You need different glass strengths and big space between the glass."

3 minutes ago, Oldie said:

In your quote you change the meaning of my statement. Double glazed windows will not bring much noise reduction. Even worse. Since both panes have normally the same thickness and little space between them they might depending on the frequency increase the noise. 

Here my words again

"You have to get some in Thailand. Double glazed windows alone don't bring much. You need different glass strengths and big space between the glass."

Double glazed will benefit from noise and you can secondary glaze as well, plus all that I suggested but is it worth all the expense, no !!

There's better options. 

On 9/14/2020 at 10:54 PM, Kwasaki said:

any advice would be greatly appreciated  I have a Purchased condo at Bang Saray 

My advice is you shouldn't of bought it.

He can't very well act on your "advice" now , can he?

And studies indicate rooster noise penetrates all sound insulation known to man.

Think about bone conduction when you buy noise canceling head phones.

Edited by Andy from Kent

20 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

He can't very well act on your "advice" now , can he?

And studies indicate rooster noise penetrates all sound insulation known to man.

Think about bone conduction when you buy noise canceling head phones.

Let it be known I was a builder and my Thai house, Yes I agree it was difficult to reduce noise from a rooster, I insulated ceiling and put lined curtains and it reduces the rooster sound significantly.

It reduced it even more when I killed it and gave him a 1000 baht and told him not to put the next rooster near my house. 

Worked a treat. ????

Edited by Kwasaki

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Let it be known I was a builder and my Thai house, Yes I agree it was difficult to reduce noise from a rooster, I insulated ceiling and put lined curtains and it reduces the rooster sound significantly.

It reduced it even more when I killed it and gave him a 1000 baht and told him not to put the next rooster near my house. 

Worked a treat. ????

If I were your Thai neighbor, I think I'd buy one rooster a week in anticipation of getting 1,000 THB from you each time    Surely they cost less than 1,000 so it'd be a nice earner for the neighbor.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Oldie said:

Double glazed windows will not bring much noise reduction.

I have double glazed windows and they work to reduce noise effectively, they are not sliding windows, no point double glazing sliding windows.

Any decent double glazed panels have different thickness of glass and a space in between that is filled with Argon gas.