Bank letter showing foreign transfers

Hi all! Forgive me if this has bee gone over and over, but could not find anything when I searched.

For years I have used the 800,000 baht in the bank, now I have pensions coming in and want to use them to off set how much I need to keep in the bank.

I have the 800,00 in one bank account and have been using a Bangkok bank account to receive TW deposits which are labeled as foreign transactions - I will

need use the combo method as the pensions are not enough alone.

My fist question is: What kind of letter do I need Bangkok bank to give me to show the foreign transfers?

My second question: Will immigration give me anything to say how much will now be needed to be kept in the account where I have always kept the

800,000 to reflect my pension payments? I don't want to show up the next year an find the new IO did not agree with my combo method - I want to be able to spend

the money I don't need to keep locked up. 

By the way, I am in Chiang Mai, so if you have any knowledge on their accepting combo method that would be welcome as well.

Thanks for any help!

You will get detailed answers to your questions.

So this is more aside to consider. Unless you really need some of that 800k, I would suggest you stick with money in the bank method rather than combo method.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

The proof needed for your income varies by office.

Most will accept a 12 month bank statement showing them as foreign transfer and copies of your bank book. Plus a standard bank letter for proof. Some may still want a letter from the bank detailing the transfers.

You will need to calculate your total income for the year and deduct that from 800k baht to determine the amount needed in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply. Best to add little to it to allow for exchange rate fluctuations for the 2 months before you apply.

All of the money will need to be in the for 3 months after you and most offices will want half of it after 3 months until you top up your account for the next application. You should confirm the amount after 3 months when you do the application.

Chiang Mai immigration will accept the combination optio.

37 minutes ago, suave said:

Thank you ubonjoe!

Altbough you have not stated your nationality in the OP I am assuming that you are Australian, American or British and only need a bank statement & letter because your home country embassy in Bangkok no longer provides an income confirmation service. Should, however, you be none of these 3 nationalities then your embassy should still be able to confirm your monthly income - and, indeed, Immigration generally would prefer a suitable embassy letter/affidavit over a bank letter & statement in such circumstances.  

Edited by OJAS

10 minutes ago, Brickbat said:

Any Thai bank statement verifying foreign income deposit of 65,000 thb monthly will suffice. Or 800,000 in the bank , 3 months prior to visa app,icatiin. No combo allowed in CM. 

Ubon Joe says that CM WILL accept combo in no. 4.

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So this is more aside to consider. Unless you really need some of that 800k, I would suggest you stick with money in the bank method rather than combo method.

That means having 800k stuck in an account, and you still have to import money to live on. Silly. With the income method you can spend every last satang you bring in.

In my case, I do not need 65k per month, so my Phitsanulok IO has agreed to 50k a month plus 200k in the bank. Suits me fine.

29 minutes ago, stouricks said:
19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That means having 800k stuck in an account, and you still have to import money to live on. Silly. With the income method you can spend every last satang you bring in.

In my case, I do not need 65k per month, so my Phitsanulok IO has agreed to 50k a month plus 200k in the bank. Suits me fine.

In theory, that's a good plan - it's annoying to have money tied up in the bank for no reason when you actually have enough income to meet the extension requirements.

To me, though, the advantage of the 800k in an account is that it's fire-and-forget: I put the money there, don't spend it, and I know that I'm good to go for my extension. With the monthly income method, there are lots of small things that can go wrong and get you in serious trouble, such as a payment being delayed or misrouted or not recorded as a foreign transfer - we read about those issues almost every day on this forum.

I wish my country still issued income letters so that I didn't need to keep cash tied up, but, since it doesn't, I prefer the peace of mind that comes with the bank account to constantly worrying about whether I'll make a mistake in the monthly transfer method. To each his own.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Brickbat said:

Any Thai bank statement verifying foreign income deposit of 65,000 thb monthly will suffice. Or 800,000 in the bank , 3 months prior to visa app,icatiin. No combo allowed in CM. 

That is ancient history. They have done them if a person had either a embassy letter or has proof of 12 months of transfers into the country.

When proof to transfers first started last year they would not do them if people did not have a year of transfers to show.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

such as a payment being delayed or misrouted or not recorded as a foreign transfer - we read about those issues almost every day on this forum.

I have read more about Transferwise taking only minutes to arrive in Bkk Bank than I have about failures and problems.

As for delays........send it a few days earlier!

Edited by stouricks

20 hours ago, suave said:

Any specific reason you think this?

At some immigration offices the combo method is accepted without any problem what so ever, but then you have a few where they are a bit lazy and having problems with the math. They prefer the easy road, 800k in the bank. If your TW transfers shows up as International,then you normally just need a bank statement from your Thai bank + the bank letter and maybe copies from your bank book. 

Edited by Max69xl

7 hours ago, stouricks said:

When I was on combo Sri Ratch immigration said the same, they expected to see 200K in the bank to support a combo application.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, suave said:

Yeah, I do not need a full 65,000 to live on, would love to free up the extra cash from my 800,000. As to who is correct, I am betting ubonjoe, I will find out in the next months.

The letter from the bank will only confirm the balance in the account on the day it was written.

You will also need a 12 month statement that shows the monthly transfers. It doesn't really matter how the transfers appear on the statement, if it is not fairly obvious that they are of foreign origin just include some proof.

I did marriage on income just a few weeks ago and what I did was got the 12 month statement a couple of weeks before going to immigration, thought I may have to wait a few days for that but got it over the counter. I drew up a summary of the transfers and attached a copy of the HSBC remittance advice for each one, may sound a bit over the top but no questions asked.

When I got the 12 month statement, I booked a letter and recent statement for the day I planned to go to immigration, I have to give at least 2 days notice for the letter.

Good luck.

46 minutes ago, polpott said:

Jomtien also require proof that they originate from a pension.

That would be something else, and doesn't really relate to bank statements.

I was perfectly aware of the source requirement and included that with my application, but I was responding to the OP's specific point regarding a bank letter, and as he is not in Jomtien I wouldn't know if it is necessary for him or not.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stouricks said:

arrive in Bkk Bank

I’m US citizen and transfer monthly from Chase (J.P. Morgan) Global Transfer to BK bank. If transferred Monday thru Thursday before transfer times 15:00 East Coast I think. it’s generally in the Thai account around 

09:00 A.M. No charge from Chase and minimal if any from BKB. 

You enter transfer info, who , amount , country is a drop down menu.

it shows you the exchange rate effective for next 30 minutes.., Easy after initial set up.... 3-4 minutes..  I was shocked the first time I transferred 

how quick it was....

Note it says if $5,000 or more no charge on Chase side. I transfer 1,000

to 3,000 and no charge due to the type of account I have.. Checking Premium.. I’d check but wife is laying on the couch... she sees wallet 

move it’s like instant niceness... 

the prior method was 3-4 days..sucked.. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DJ54 said:

I’m US citizen and transfer monthly from Chase (J.P. Morgan) Global Transfer to BK bank. If transferred Monday thru Thursday before transfer times 15:00 East Coast I think. it’s generally in the Thai account around 

09:00 A.M. No charge from Chase and minimal if any from BKB. 

You enter transfer info, who , amount , country is a drop down menu.

it shows you the exchange rate effective for next 30 minutes.., Easy after initial set up.... 3-4 minutes..  I was shocked the first time I transferred 

how quick it was....

Note it says if $5,000 or more no charge on Chase side. I transfer 1,000

to 3,000 and no charge due to the type of account I have.. Checking Premium.. I’d check but wife is laying on the couch... she sees wallet 

move it’s like instant niceness... 

the prior method was 3-4 days..sucked.. 

Chase Sapphire account need minimum combine balance of $75,000 for free monthly service. You also get free worldwide ATM + reimbursement for ATM fees. My friend uses it for money transfer and ATM reimbursement and he highly recommends it including their credit card.

Edited by gt162