Cabinet okays 9-month visas for foreigners

Jonathan Fairfield

7 minutes ago, farang51 said:

They need to make sure their health care system can handle new cases. Thus, a limit on the number of arrivals - at least at first - and not allowing people from the worst hit countries from where the risk for a new case is higher.

If testing is done prior to and after arrival. Makes no difference where you come from  falangs need a covid NEGATIVE result BEFORE boarding the flights.  

6 hours ago, thaistocks said:

Double CV19 test, plus 14 days quarantine -and on top you must in advance specify where you will rent/stay the whole time?  Leaving no freedom to move around? Its too draconian and sadly will be passed up by most all.

Not only specify but also pay - and show proof of payment. 

21 minutes ago, farang51 said:

They need to make sure their health care system can handle new cases. Thus, a limit on the number of arrivals - at least at first - and not allowing people from the worst hit countries from where the risk for a new case is higher.

Simpler to just say under 60 and medical indicating not having 2 or more of the known co-morbidities - then, few if any hospital admissions. 

And remember, "new case is higher" just means a country which carried out more tests per-capita - not an indication of people who are actually "sick" - or relative % of carriers, relative to nations who do not do widspread testing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

If testing is done prior to and after arrival. Makes no difference where you come from  falangs need a covid NEGATIVE result BEFORE boarding the flights.  

You can test negative prior to and after arrival and still have the virus. That is why quarantine is needed.

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

The present Thai government the result of an illegal coup and every action they take is null and void I totally agree with you!

How can you agree with something I never posted. Correction: You are agreeing with yourself. That´s good, I would hate to hear that you are arguing. ????

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Right, and the DOL is pretty decent.  I was talking about those who are not employees in Thailand - nor do any work-business at all with Thai entities - who have foreign-sourced income to spend here.

Thanks to this forum, which only records a fraction of the corruption, where many had repeat-experiences of my own, I know it isn't "just me" or "my luck" which is the issue. 

Just look at the agent-business - would have to be pretty green about how "incentives" work, not to figure out the "why" of the problems.

They were handling everything just fine, until Immigration and Covid border-closures got in the way.  Just allow paid-extensions for them w/o hoop-jumping until the borders open, and their lives can continue as before.

Their Thai families are MUCH better off than most with Thai breadwinners, so if looking down at them, I'd hate to think of how you view working-class / farmer Thais. 

Of course, this state of poverty-affairs for so many Thais, is in no small part due to Immigration letting in hordes of L-Visa types.  Though, in fairness, a few I spoke to were paying 10% of their gross-income to agents, so victims of the same racket.

I tend to agree, but it's a bit different when the "authorites" are neck-deep in graft / bribes / extortion though, isn't it?  I haven't used an immigration-agent to play that game, so will subsist on Embassy Letters for now. 

Had no problem with the Dept of Labor - did it all by the book for my WP.  Of course, immigration treats my WP as "fake" - since they didn't get a payoff to issue it.

I was also talking about the same people.

My opinion is that you are unlucky, and that will stand.

However, now I also find replying to you constant babble boring. So, have a nice day! Cheers!

Nothing has to do with better off. It has do do with applying and showing the right papers ask for by your personal IO. Easy peasy to understand. Now please repeat your version of moaning in another set of words.

1 hour ago, Anna Rak said:

Yellow Book, that a lot of people on here say is useless, plus a Pink I.D. card might not go a-miss. ( Things that may help)

20 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

You dont have to be the owner, you can basically quarantine where you live

• Evidence of long-term residence in Thailand such as hotel reservation, rental contract in traveller’s name or that of family members residing in Thailand or title deed of a purchased unit.

The evidence of residence is for after the quarantine period.  you cant quarantine in your own home

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

More made up nonsense by yourself?

You have absolutely no basis in fact to make your assumption as to the amount of funds available to tourists here. Just more pie in the sky from you.

As to the rest of your post, personally I know many who are tourists who will stay in the region for six months on Tourist visas. They are tourists, not retired or studying or volunteering.

So your ever so smart suggestion, is that they go home and then reapply to come back for the winter?

I guess it's too much for your brain to encompass that they are staying instead of leaving because they know otherwise they won't be able to return for the winter. Therefore, these long stay tourists are looking for solutions that allow them to stay.

Seriously, take a rest, the quality of your posts is really suffering of late.

Live with it. If not meeting the requirements for any other visa that can be applied for in the country or any extension. Then it only to leave and come back.

Sorry guys. Not enough. Better than what you have been doing, which is nothing. But a drop in the bucket. 

Thailand needs courageous leadership. They don't have it. The army are major cowards. ANY person from ANY nation should be welcome starting tomorrow, if they are willing to subject themselves to a 14 day quarantine and pay excessive fees for that two week sentence. If the army were serious, they would offer to pay half! There is no downside or risk, and only upside for the nation. No groveling from a local consulate should be required. That is utter nonsense. A covid free letter and a booking at an approved hotel. Period. No limitations. A million tourists, if they are willing! 

One thing the toxic authorities do not seem to get, is the more restrictions you put on tourists, and the longer you wait to restore real, not fake tourism, the fewer people will show interest. 

The officials here are committing sabotage and sadism toward those bold enough to have spent billions on resorts and related facilities here, assuming they could count on the assistance of these incompetents. Instead all they got was cowardice and timidity. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Neeranam said:

hear hear

Yes Yes agree

and just some lite info to inform some if needed is that we went to Phuthum Thani immigration late last month to apply for extension of Visit Wife/Famaily visa and was informed to come back on 18th Sept.

But we went today and now they say come back on the 26th September because immigration mentioned we can not apply during Covid/Amnesty period.

So how many people are expected to be at the immigration on the 26th ?

• Like 1

Maybe just me but I honestly can't see what I'd do with 9 months in Thailand.

I can't imagine 9 places

( areas) that would provide enough to do to pass a month in each.

If, as is sometimes reported, many places are shuttered due to Covid what would I do to pass the days and evenings? How many temples/beaches can you visit etc.

It's not as though you can visit neighbouring countries ( 14 days lock up every time you return to Thailand )??

A couple of weeks ago we had a break in a 5☆ place we had been to a few years ago. At that time it was really good.

I reckon we were 2 out of 20 staying there. Breakfast was buffet style and only 2 or 3 staff on hand to clear tables.

Everything looked and tasted like it had been cooked at least 2 hours before and was all stone cold. When we asked about getting freshly cooked eggs/bacon/ham the answer was  'Covid problems' whatever that means. 

If someone goes through the entry requirements tests/insurance/expensive flights/expensive quarantine then ended up in a similar situation to the above described I would not like to be on the receiving end of their tirade.

Just sayin'

• Like 1

jlVb0fS8_bigger.jpg

Right pointing backhand index
If you own a condo, you can stay in that AFTER hotel quarantine has finished. But you have to prove ownership or relationship to the owner

You need a police background check. I haven’t seen that before

It looks like they might limit which countries you can fly in from

11 minutes ago, stuarty said:
jlVb0fS8_bigger.jpg

If you own a condo, you can stay in that AFTER hotel quarantine has finished. But you have to prove ownership or relationship to the owner

You need a police background check. I haven’t seen that before

It looks like they might limit which countries you can fly in from

A police background check??

For what????

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Maybe just me but I honestly can't see what I'd do with 9 months in Thailand.

I can't imagine 9 places

( areas) that would provide enough to do to pass a month in each.

If, as is sometimes reported, many places are shuttered due to Covid what would I do to pass the days and evenings? How many temples/beaches can you visit etc.

It's not as though you can visit neighbouring countries ( 14 days lock up every time you return to Thailand )??

A couple of weeks ago we had a break in a 5☆ place we had been to a few years ago. At that time it was really good.

I reckon we were 2 out of 20 staying there. Breakfast was buffet style and only 2 or 3 staff on hand to clear tables.

Everything looked and tasted like it had been cooked at least 2 hours before and was all stone cold. When we asked about getting freshly cooked eggs/bacon/ham the answer was  'Covid problems' whatever that means. 

If someone goes through the entry requirements tests/insurance/expensive flights/expensive quarantine then ended up in a similar situation to the above described I would not like to be on the receiving end of their tirade.

Just sayin'

After reading your post I got headache...

Just sayin'

21 hours ago, stuarty said:

It doesn't say that...

Here are the basic published provisions approved today…

1. A foreigner who wishes to travel to stay for a long period (Long-stay travel) in Thailand.

2. A foreigner who has acknowledged they are willing to comply with Thailand’s public health measures in Thailand, and agree to conduct a state quarantine at an Alternative Local State Quarantine (ALSQ) for 14 days.

3. A foreigner who provides evidence of long-term residency in Thailand, including evidence of payment for the hotel accommodation or hospital accommodation that provides Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) service in Thailand and at least one piece of the following evidence…
• Proof of payment for hotel accommodation or hospital accommodation after the state quarantine
• A copy of ownership of an apartment or condominium belonging to foreigners or family members of foreigners
• A copy of a rental license or deposit payment of the purchase of apartment, condominium, or house by foreigners in Thailand

1 hour ago, stuarty said:
  20 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

You dont have to be the owner, you can basically quarantine where you live

• Evidence of long-term residence in Thailand such as hotel reservation, rental contract in traveller’s name or that of family members residing in Thailand or title deed of a purchased unit.

The evidence of residence is for after the quarantine period.  you cant quarantine in your own home

Evidence of residence required before travel. Just asking if the Thai Embassy in your country would accept yellow book for proof of residence in Thailand.

It hasn't been confirmed/denied but I would very much doubt that you will be allowed to quarantine in your own home.

5 minutes ago, polpott said:

Evidence of residence required before travel. Just asking if the Thai Embassy in your country would accept yellow book for proof of residence in Thailand.

It hasn't been confirmed/denied but I would very much doubt that you will be allowed to quarantine in your own home.

Yes, I realise that now.

What I meant was in your home area, not Phuket as originally talked about.

4 minutes ago, polpott said:

Evidence of residence required before travel. Just asking if the Thai Embassy in your country would accept yellow book for proof of residemence in Thailand.

Home quarantine was tried in March, people just ignored the self isolation and went to resturants, bars beaches meeting people

Here a snapshot of the requirements

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1306153410262048768/photo/1

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1306153410262048768/photo/2

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Sorry, but I only see a lack of intelligence in your posts.

I see your definition of a tourist and certainly not a definition set by the Immigration department.

Many tourists visited Thailand on single/double/triple entry Tourist Visas that would allow stays of up to nine months.

So that puts your definition of a tourist in the limited imagination bin.

Also their long stay visa of up to 270 days, just approved, also puts your limited definition in the bin.

Your altogether imagined view of the funds available to tourists also reveals a limited knowledge and imagination.

I make no comment about people who may be working on an inappropriate visa, as we are not discussing them.

We are discussing your erroneous assumption that tourists, by virtue of being tourists, must have run out of funds by now. Not an intelligent comment.

Have you seen me complain about my ability to stay here? I think not; so why write even more nonsense about me complaining?

It seems that you just want to Troll the thread by making outrageous claims, with no basis in fact.

And it seems like you do not understand what I post, and are trying to change the meaning of them. That will mean, you are the troll here.

Now I can not care less about you. Keep babbling!