Cabinet okays 9-month visas for foreigners

Jonathan Fairfield

It's a start...and yes complications but people jumping the gun ..keep cheap Charlie's out ...I love moaning banter on here   sad people.....living in their winge bubble ..

No insurance...well at least we maybe not hear of ....eg..I  fell of..my bike ..in hospital gofundme...

12 minutes ago, thaistocks said:

Generalized nonsense. We raised a daughter here, all in Thai schools...but all along instilled my thinking/ways as well. Correcting some of the heavy stigma's at the dinner table, regularly. Not speaking Thai to her, so she learns the good/perfect Thai -without a foreign accent. Today she is very accomplished, independent besides successful in Bangkok making it on her own, and then some. She speaks perfect English and Thai, with no accents whatsoever.

Just imagine how much she could have achieved had she been educated in a Western country.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, polpott said:

Just imagine how much she could have achieved had she been educated in a Western country.

Well, You have exactly the stigma, in reverse, so many Thai's here have. The west has mostly peaked along with all the entitlements which is bankrupting the state. Just look at the mess in the US at present, first wanting the wall..now being all but walled in.  A sense of family, taking care of the elders etc..all but too often missing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, thaistocks said:

Well, You have exactly the stigma, in reverse, so many Thai's here have. The west has mostly peaked along with all the entitlements which is bankrupting the state. Just look at the mess in the US at present, first wanting the wall..now being all but walled in.  A sense of family, taking care of the elders etc..all but too often missing.

The West still offers children a far better education than Thailand does.

Although over 50 and also married to a Thai, I am these days very happy for my 5 years, 500k Elite Visa.

Yes, it costs me roughly 8300 THB per month, that is nothing compared to the trouble and worries I see others have had during these Covid times.

I don’t understand why more did not use this solution. For sure now it is a huge benefit for those in Thailand wanting to stay long term.

Edited by khunpa

11 minutes ago, polpott said:

The West still offers children a far better education than Thailand does.

True, in general, but not to forget its much up to the parents as well!  Many kids in the West are still smoking/partiying -and wild and disrespectful to the elderly...ignore parents. Free and loose with all that contains, good and much bad. Mostly the Western state is all but bankrupt, due to as mentioned the entitlement birth right believe. Many boys in the West are checking out (totally confirmed by the numbers) as they believe there are increasingly less opportunities, vs. the minorities.  One has to balance it all, not just deviate on what one believe is important (with our own western biases.).

18 hours ago, Zikomat said:

Why not to let those already in the country apply for this new Visa? Or we need to leave the place first, then buy expensive tickets and go through 14 days quarantine? 

I think that may be the plan. It forces more people to quarantine in those over-priced luxury resort hotels that have been losing money for many years, as most people wouldn't stay in them due to the high cost.

17 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yes and WOW! Now we have this discussion again. A tourists means a person that visits a country. Not a person that is trying to live in a country with such a type of visa. That is something Immigration already cleared by limit those. As a general tourist, most would be out of money to spend for tourism or living abroad, due to that they have been stuck about 120 extra days in a foreign country.

However, there are people who call themselves tourists, just because it´s the only chance they can stay in Thailand. Many of those are als working online without a company or work permit. They are not to be considered tourist, they are law breakers. 

Anyway, now there is nothing more for you to complain about. Your chance is here. Take it and stop complain. Now they approved a 270 day tourist visa. Just to go get it! Welcome back. ???? 

"They are not to be considered tourist, they are law breakers."  In some cases, ie working online, laws are meant to be broken. ????

19 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

This measure will start from next month, and up to 1,200 tourists per month will be granted this extended visa.

that (may) bring in some pocket change, what non sense 555

47 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Although over 50 and also married to a Thai, I am these days very happy for my 5 years, 500k Elite Visa.

Yes, it costs me roughly 8300 THB per month, that is nothing compared to the trouble and worries I see others have had during these Covid times.

I don’t understand why more did not use this solution. For sure now it is a huge benefit for those in Thailand wanting to stay long term.

Are elite visa holders allowed entry during these times?

19 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

1200 tourists a month, but retirees etc are still not allowed to come back? .... 

Elite visa has a lousy quota of like 250 a month or so...

Absurdity. 

1200 tourists a month won't make a difference anyway... 

Of course retirees can come back. Get your 2,000 Baht visa, come here and convert it later.

9 months for tourists? They will probably cancel this idea before the practicalities have been agreed. At the slightest sign of more coronavirus cases.

They have been saying for the last 5 years that anyone that stays more than a short time, just a few months, is not a tourist. That's why they stopped the visa runs.

So why do they acknowledge that some people can stay for 9 months and still be tourists now? Where's the logic and consistency? If Thailand wants to be a modern democratic country it has to be more.......

Also, after the 9 months has been finished, can people go to a neighbouring country and get another one of these 9 month tourist visas?

Edited by Ketyo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, polpott said:

They've announced it until they're blue in the face. No more amnesty extensions. Weren't you listening?

Look man, until they officially announce something, nothing matters. 

If it is a sure thing, as you say, then why have they not announced it officially yet? Have you seen an official announcement? 

Edited by utalkin2me

1 hour ago, polpott said:

International visa or not, your child won't receive a quality education in Thailand. Move to a country that can provide your child with a good, internationally recognised education. Why are you living in Thailand anyway?

And this information regarding not receiving a quality education comes from where? With an Ed visa they are at an INternational School. The standard of many International Schools is extremely high. My own child has gone through one and I know dozens of people who have successfully put their children through Thai International schools, many who have gone on to world class universities.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

laws are meant to be broken

No, they are not and that is exactly where society is failing today. Too many minds that can´t accept anything, and just think they can do what they want in all situations n life. It´s sad, that´s what it is. Really sad.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

No, they are not and that is exactly where society is failing today. Too many minds that can´t accept anything, and just think they can do what they want in all situations n life. It´s sad, that´s what it is. Really sad.

So you are saying that if you think a law or rule is unfair you should still obey it? No way if I can find a way round it, which I usually can, and it is not detrimental to ordinary people.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thaidude said:

Are elite visa holders allowed entry during these times?

I have no idea as I am not up to date on any info regarding that. I am just enjoying trouble free stay in Thailand.

But I would imagine that if you were to apply for entry, having an Elite Visa would be a benefit.

31 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

Look man, until they officially announce something, nothing matters. 

If it is a sure thing, as you say, then why have they not announced it officially yet? Have you seen an official announcement? 

I've seen several official announcements by Immigration, warning foreigners to get their visas in order well before the 26th or face the consequences. They have been posted and discussed on this forum.

Ignore them at your peril.

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

You guys are mixing up rhetoric with reality.  They (Immigration) like you just fine, if you pay them through an agent - give the "Bad Guys" the VIP treatment.  That is why all the rule-changes always kept the agent-path VIP-Clear - only affected honest-applicants.

Actually "going" doesn't change anything.  Immigration don't care if you "really go to school," or not - sadly - just that envelopes of cash accompany each application/extension.

Evidently, they have money/income - unless they are sleeping rough.  

But having a steady income stream which benefits the citizens of the country isn't a factor in immigration's calculus - only how much "extra" you are willing to pass to them via an agent/lawyer.

That is not true. My ex from Philippines was on an education visa for a year. She went to class, and never paid extra for any extensions.

19 hours ago, Totoandlilly said:

Makes sense. Many grumpy people on this forum want to kick those that are not married or not able to meet the requirements for retirement visa, I don't understand, but Thailand have nothing to loose to let people already in the country and are spending money continue to stay here. Could have made it easier and more convenient with allowing more extension inside the country, pay a fee, and you get your visa or whatever extended, a win-win situation.

So foreigners that are already in the country, in what way are they a burden to the country? I'm asking some of you guys that are accusing other for been taking a free ride the last 6 month, and have spend thousands of baht e e every month and are contributing to the economy.

xenophobia is real in Thailand

6 hours ago, spermwhale said:

What a joke. What type of "tourist" has 14 days to kill on a vacation? That's a pretty common length of vacation to a place like Thailand anyway. And then what "tourist" plans to stay in a place for nine months? The only people that would up for this is those that want to come and work under the table and avoid doing border runs. 

You seriously can't figure that one out? Of course this scheme is not targeting 14 day tourists, so why even bring it up? There are many snowbirds who could take advantage of this. A lot of people come for 6 months, and might do the 14 day quarantine. Also, this would also be an avenue to get into the country for those who qualify for retirement extensions. Once inside the country, this visa could be converted to a retirement visa/extension.

5 minutes ago, CheelBeel said:
19 hours ago, Totoandlilly said:

Makes sense. Many grumpy people on this forum want to kick those that are not married or not able to meet the requirements for retirement visa, I don't understand, but Thailand have nothing to loose to let people already in the country and are spending money continue to stay here. Could have made it easier and more convenient with allowing more extension inside the country, pay a fee, and you get your visa or whatever extended, a win-win situation.

So foreigners that are already in the country, in what way are they a burden to the country? I'm asking some of you guys that are accusing other for been taking a free ride the last 6 month, and have spend thousands of baht e e every month and are contributing to the economy.

xenophobia is real in Thailand

A lot of those complaining on this thread seem to be the same type of people who claim ‘racism’ when being stopped for speeding or charged at a checkpoint for not having a licence (on bike or car) then claiming they BiB were targeting foreigners, that Thailand is xenophobic and racist..... 

It is this attitude which the ‘other side’ of the argument are against. 

No one is ‘kicking those who are down’ but they are correcting or calling out an attitude of entitlement amongst those who’ve been staying here under legal loopholes.

Thailand can most definitely make life easier for themselves and foreigners under the current (not incoming travel) situation - I really don’t know why they don’t - but its not xenophobia or racism, its nothing more than indifference, that to which they think of other Thai’s outside of their ‘circle’. 

I think an extension of Amnesty makes perfect sense. But I can also see that those who have been relying on an extension of amnesty and are not under pressure have had months to ’sort something out’ and are now running out of options for no-one else fault than their own while blaming others (i.e. Thailand). 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

You seriously can't figure that one out? Of course this scheme is not targeting 14 day tourists, so why even bring it up? There are many snowbirds who could take advantage of this. A lot of people come for 6 months, and might do the 14 day quarantine. Also, this would also be an avenue to get into the country for those who qualify for retirement extensions. Once inside the country, this visa could be converted to a retirement visa/extension.

Indeed - but it begs the question, why not simply allow entry to Retirees anyway?

The Long Term Visa is perfect for those who wish to come to Thailand and avoid the winter in their home countries. 

IMO: Allow anyone to come if they are willing to quarantine - Give them a year Visa. Also extend Visa amnesty for those in country for a year. 

Clear up this whole mess and allow people to ’spend there money here’ - is that what Thailand is crying out for? 

Then they can worry about the two week tourists and perhaps travel corridors from countries of low infection without the need for quarantine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1