Cabinet okays 9-month visas for foreigners

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, jbinthai said:

I have had a Retirement Visa for 6 years and lived in Thailand for 19 years.  Had to go to the USA to settle husbands estate in March...and have a re- entry stamp....I am still in the USA...Thailand will not let me back in yet.  Have a house and all my belongings there.  Just does not seem fair to let them in and not let me cone home.

You can apply for a special TV soon, I will do the same ????

4 minutes ago, Ganesh108 said:

In normal times, 1200 people would have landed at Suvarnabhumi every 30 minutes. And all you needed were some 15-20 immigration staff to process them.

I think there were easily 1200 people ahead of me in the immigration line at Suvarnabhumi airport a few times when I landed.....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Do people really think there are hundreds of thousands of tourists still here on the amnesty. Hundreds of thousands who can go on a two week holiday in April and still afford to be here in September ? All those independently wealthy people who dont need to return to a home, job, family.

There are still a fair number of under 50 looking guys hanging in Pattaya...I have no idea how they able to stay here so long......Sure some maybe independently wealthy but I really doubt all of them are....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Thailand does have ways for people to stay here long time.

If you're over 50, you can put 800k in bank account and apply for retirement extensions, provided you keep that in the bank all the time, or at least most of the time.

If you're married, you can put 400k in the bank account and apply for a marriage extension. If you are working with work permit on top of that, you can also apply for Thai citizenship.

If you are partner of PR holder, you can apply for extension based on PR holder.

If you are a parent of a Thai child, you can apply for extension based on that.

If you have a decent job in Thailand, you can apply for extension based on work permit, and if you hold same job for 2+ years, apply for PR. And if you keep PR for 5 years, you can apply for Thai citizenship.

And there are more of these, but all of them have something in common: they are for people who bring value to the country and are not a burden to it. Like every other country, Thailand doesn't want people that will be a burden on society.

I don't understand why people who are willing to spend nothing and do nothing, and are only sitting and waiting, hoping for a miracle, expect Thai government to do something for them, while at the same time they can't find one good word for this government and keep on spitting on forces in power and repeat how stupid they are?

Scrap together whatever is required for extension of stay, or stop complaining and accept you just don't belong here. There are flights out of Thailand every day.

Absolutly totally agree and most can be more active to find out ourselves prior to wispers of the REAL ongoings and things you should do when or not, ok, thanks 

5 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

1200 tourists a month, but retirees etc are still not allowed to come back? .... 

Elite visa has a lousy quota of like 250 a month or so...

Absurdity. 

1200 tourists a month won't make a difference anyway... 

Sure it will.  According to the story in the source that can't be linked, it is expected to generate 1 billion baht a month.  Some quick math says that's over $27K (USD) a head.  Hmmmmmm.

A little more math says that 1200 a month times the maximum 9 months that the program allows will only boost tourism by 10,800 walking ATM's at any given time.  About 2 hour's worth of pre-Covid arrivals, when 100,000 tourists arrived every day.

I guess if they let in 1200 a month forever and none of them go home for their entire allotted 270 days, they'll eventually be generating 1 billion baht a month at $3K USD per month a head.  But it won't make much of a dent.

Maybe you're right...  Absurdity.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

No, you never. You said "Or possibly they believe the bar stool fact that you're ineligible if you haven't worked and paid tax here."

• ". 

3 hours ago, polpott said:

More likely, the majority of posters aren't eligible.

8 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

There are still a fair number of under 50 looking guys hanging in Pattaya...I have no idea how they able to stay here so long......Sure some maybe independently wealthy but I really doubt all of them are....

Immigration doesn't know either. Online revenue, interest on loans, family money, large savings which were acquired over years. Basically enough to live in Thailand but not enough to live back home and not enough to part with the 15k USD for the elite visa. This is probably just 1% of all the ways.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

So whats wrong if i m under 50 and in Pattaya? Does it say only over 50 can be in Pattaya? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Wonderful watching this Thai clowning and ridiculous idiocy. 

A joy to behold in their utter and total incompetence. 

Enjoy it. 

you should study more on cultures to understand more prior to your comment here <deleted>

1 hour ago, elliss said:

14 Days , quarantine ..

Starting @ 20,000 for Thai people.   Foreigner/ farlang , up to 200,000 Thb . 

Sounds , fair enough to me . Thai cultural culture 

What's the point to compare the highest price for farangs to the lowest for Thai?

What about the reverse? :ermm:

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Presumably either married to Thais, or taking advantage of the "amnesty".

Perhaps the same observation in a month might show fewer?

• Like 2