Cabinet okays 9-month visas for foreigners

Jonathan Fairfield

Lots of red herrings being thrown around here.

The number of hotels applying for the ASQ scheme will no doubt increase as the number of customers increases, as it has done over the past few months. At the same time, prices will become more competitive. My price point would be about EUR 1k (so about THB 37k) for the two weeks quarantine period. Currently, there are 15 out of the 68 hotels in Bangkok at or below this price. When I last looked – about 2 months ago - there were probably only about 3 out of a list of 20 hotels at this price.

There are several of international flights currently operating to BKK. I think Qatar Airways, for example, has flown daily throughout. Currently, they are not allowed to fly passengers into Bangkok – they fly freight in and passengers and freight out – but it wouldn’t take much to change that. If, on the other hand, the Thai government insists on the “new tourists” only using the Thai Airways repatriation flights, there will be a problem.

I don’t understand this fixation with the USD 100k insurance policy. Most travel insurance policies (at least ex- Europe) have adjusted to include Covid-19 and cover health expenses for a much larger figure than USD 100k (usually in the millions). The related insurance premiums are still generally at the same level as pre-Covid. I don’t think the Thai government is insisting on a Thai insurance policy for tourists, is it?

These are all technicalities which can be easily sorted. The more important – and difficult – issue to resolve, will be managing public reaction (hysteria?) when – as will happen – one or more of these tourists is found to be infected after release from quarantine. Hopefully, someone in the Thai government is planning for this.

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

There are still a fair number of under 50 looking guys hanging in Pattaya...I have no idea how they able to stay here so long......Sure some maybe independently wealthy but I really doubt all of them are....

Ccard probably for the not whealty ones ...family loan....digital nomads work...etc..

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, genericptr said:

The negative feelings I have towards Thais (dangerous driving, soi dogs, burning etc...) is one of the problems I have with Thailand and I factor that into my thinking.

If Thailand is not cheap and easy I will say it's not worth it anymore. The elites are trying to sell Thailand like it's Switzerland and so they can demand more red tape and higher prices. I disagree and I'm already working on how to divest from the country going forward.

Then thats good, you have made your decision. I don't necessarily disagree with you and applaud your willingness to follow your heart.

I see this arrangement isn't drawing much appreciation here but it might offer us "stranded" outside of Thailand (who actually live in Thailand) a way to get back in – or not true? Of course at this point the whole idea is lacking so much detail that I have no idea who's really eligible for this TR visa. Maybe the full info is out there but I didn't see it yet. 

Of course the funny part is that they think this is going to help tourism. I don't think so, because tourists are not going to spend 14 days locked up. I'm sure it will mainly serve long term residents who want to return and after the quarantine they will head to their homes outside of the tourist areas and won't do much to support local tourism. 

How does showing proof of accommodation work in this case? They're not asking for booked accommodation or lease agreement for 270 days?? If you are basically going to be going back to your own home, is there another way like showing enough money on you Thai bank account etc? Not sure if anyone knows the answers yet but curious anyway.   

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ganesh108 said:

Actually, as Thailand apparently doesn't want us and our money, maybe those of us who want to remain in Asia, should make a collective appeal to the Malaysian government - PLEASE TAKE US IN! Also to the Singapore government, for those who want to stay a bit more upmarket. 

Combined, the two countries could possibly get 100 planeloads of Covid-free people, staying on for months. 

Sounds crazy? Not crazier than what the Thai government came up with today.

Well Malaysia  has closed its borders til at least 31 Dec  and no short term visitors allowed into Singapore, so Thailand would be ahead of them in letting tourists in, i also believe that all surrounding countries have closed their borders, so perhaps they are all working together to keep tourists out, does that sound crazy?

27 minutes ago, Ganesh108 said:

Actually, as Thailand apparently doesn't want us and our money, maybe those of us who want to remain in Asia, should make a collective appeal to the Malaysian government - PLEASE TAKE US IN! Also to the Singapore government, for those who want to stay a bit more upmarket. 

Combined, the two countries could possibly get 100 planeloads of Covid-free people, staying on for months. 

I'm in but as Taiwan just extended their visa amnesty I'd be even more keen on that country. Malaysia OK, Singapore forget it - Vietnam/Indonesia OK lah :)) But 5% for Thai government to change their mind & even less for other countries to accept turists this month...Decisions guys...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

There are still a fair number of under 50 looking guys hanging in Pattaya...I have no idea how they able to stay here so long......Sure some maybe independently wealthy but I really doubt all of them are....

Bank of Mum & Dad, credit cards, scamming, working without a permit, ED visas and volunteer visas obtained from agents, overstayers etc etc The ones here fully legit and with some real money are in a very very tiny minority.

37 minutes ago, Ganesh108 said:

Thailand does want tourists and this smart proposal, which is just the start, demonstrate that they want and need us and our money. Malaysia can't compete with Thailand for fun and Vietnam..never. Hanoi shuts at 10 30. Saigon only has limited night life and many other places are pretty dead.

7 hours ago, MadMac said:

Meanwhile, what happens with people on 1 year visas? That visarun every 90 days is now what? Overdue?

If they have a one year visa they are currently not doing visa runs or are doing 90 day reporting. Certainly the comment is not relevant to this thread.

34 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Let’s do some math.

1200 tourists a month.

9 months each.

If every tourist stays the whole 9 months, then by the 9th month, there will be 10,800 tourists in the country.

As of 2016 (from a newspaper we cannot link to) there were 10,000 registered hotels operating 457,000 rooms.  More hotels have been built since then so I think a fair estimate would be 500,000 hotel rooms. This does not include the unregistered hotels nor does it include the 100,000 or so empty condos also competing for these customers.  As the stay is 9 months, the Airbnb rentals will be legal and fair competition for the hotels.

10,800 tourists at the peak divided by 600,000 rooms for rent gives us an occupancy rate of 1.8%

Fail

Haha, bless. 

I'm looking to get into the country again, so - I'm actually a bit relieved we got this news already. 

Meaning, the current setup will obviously fail miserably but at the same it means the "door has opened" and I believe the rules will only ease up, from here and on wards.

Personally I can't afford a quarantine hotel (rather, it's not "worth it") and secondly; I love Thailand but I'm not ready to quarantine in a room 14 days for it. 

7 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Meaning, the current setup will obviously fail miserably but at the same it means the "door has opened" and I believe the rules will only ease up, from here and on wards.

Or they’ll get a couple confirmed Covid cases,  sell fear to the public, and then potentially take the advice of that Dr. at Chulalongkorn (I think that was the university) and lock down for his recommended 6 months.

Keep your fingers crossed.  Hope dies last.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thaibestlover said:

Where to apply? 

Where do you normally apply for visas? You know, that big building full of Thai people, stamps and passports?

You could try applying for a visa at that place .... ????