Protesters defy Thammasat ban and surge into football field for mega pro-democracy rally

rooster59

An off topic post about Covid-19 in the UK has been removed. 

A post trying to bring the Monarchy into the discussion has been removed:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules will result in an immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

9 hours ago, Morch said:

Only someone who's got nothing of value in reply resorts to personal comments.

So, do you actually believe all these protestors and future voters are thoroughly, or even adequately familiar with what democracy applies? Any evidence of this in the daily life here? While driving? Commenting on social media? Or dealing with difference of opinions?

I listen to and read of the demands made. Some make sense. Some I support. But then you get some stuff which broadcasts populism or little understanding things come with a price tag, accountability and the like.

A false presumption and a facile argument - I'm not surprised at that

22 hours ago, steven100 said:

so much for social distancing ...... I am sure we'll see a spike in COVID19 ....

only themselves to blame. 

So what about the BTS or MRT... have we seen any spikes since they relaxed social distancing?

Will he cancel Loy Krathong next month because of his concern for peoples welfare, or is this just targeted?

• Like 2

Posts using a videos in Thai language from unapproved YouTube sources have been removed:

18) Social Media content is not to be used as  source material unless it is from a recognized or approved news media source,  the source of any such material (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube  etc.) should always be shown

On 9/20/2020 at 11:26 AM, steven100 said:

so much for social distancing ...... I am sure we'll see a spike in COVID19 ....

only themselves to blame. 

There comes a time when the people have to make a stand for their rights. Only the cowardly hide in the shed and condemn those brave ones who are outspoken. "only themselves to blame indeed"

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

protests and demonstrations are a cornerstone of democracy........ those who object are in the same box as Hitler, Pol pot and Stalin

Over the top inflammatory rhetoric, surely the way forward for some. That's one of the put offs (for me, at least) with regard to these protests. Felt the same about previous instances, regardless of side. Someone  not seeing things your way is not necessarily evil incarnate.

Guess the part in democracy where different views are accommodated and are up for debate doesn't register with some.

Edited by Morch

8 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

A false presumption and a facile argument - I'm not surprised at that

I'm not surprised that you, again, resort to hollow comments disparaging posts without making clear what you actually refer to. What 'false presumption'? How is the argument 'facile'?

A lot in this article is again “Framing” ...

Making it look, as if only angry Thammasat students went to the protests.

Even, if you study the photos, one can easily see that there are not only 20-somethings among the protesters. Personally, I alone ... heard from 2 people travelling to Bangkok to join the protests.

1 hour ago, Huckenfell said:

There comes a time when the people have to make a stand for their rights. Only the cowardly hide in the shed and condemn those brave ones who are outspoken. "only themselves to blame indeed"

People can, for example, support the notion of a democratic Thailand, but not necessarily subscribe to the current protestors' rhetoric and style, or embrace all the agenda on offer.

6 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

A lot in this article is again “Framing” ...

Making it look, as if only angry Thammasat students went to the protests.

Even, if you study the photos, one can easily see that there are not only 20-somethings among the protesters. Personally, I alone ... heard from 2 people travelling to Bangkok to join the protests.

There's that. It's in the government interest to paint the protestors as 'young and restless', rather as being a more representative cross section of society. That said - the younger crowd does seem to set the tone of the protests, with all that this implies.

4 hours ago, Morch said:

Over the top inflammatory rhetoric, surely the way forward for some. That's one of the put offs (for me, at least) with regard to these protests. Felt the same about previous instances, regardless of side. Someone  not seeing things your way is not necessarily evil incarnate.

Guess the part in democracy where different views are accommodated and are up for debate doesn't register with some.

Not everyone agrees with you and feels pride in the way the Thai students conduct themselves. Everyone needs to give others space to express their opinions, but you prefer to smother the opinions of others with your rhetoric. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Not everyone agrees with you and feels pride in the way the Thai students conduct themselves. Everyone needs to give others space to express their opinions, but you prefer to smother the opinions of others with your rhetoric. 

I do not expect everyone to agree with me, nor did I claim anything of the sort. Would be helpful if you could actually point to the how and where of this 'smothering of opinions' you accuse me of. Otherwise, you're just making things up.

If you consider that equating anyone not seeing things your way with the likes of Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot - guess we have a different view of what 'give others space to express their opinions' means. I gather that for you, the poster I replied to and some of the protestors, this stands for respect our views, but not so much respect for others' views. Now would be a good time to refer back to comments on the issue of 'not ready for democracy'.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

Trying to talk about the issues in Thailand is like trying to walk missing one leg. Even right here, censorship is going on in the stories posted as 'news' and the replies made. It makes me sad. Somewhere between 50k-80k people attended the Saturday night rally. Why did it take so long for news and discussion of that to appear in the forums?

Probably because Nation Media Group which supplies TV with news actively campaigned against the rally. 

• Like 2

On 9/20/2020 at 2:27 AM, Antonymous said:

These protests are a great start. So long as they remain peaceful, the movement should gain momentum and be more difficult for the government to justify stopping.

I'd have thought the international pressure to hold independent elections will come next, did any of this get into the international news media?

On 9/20/2020 at 6:16 PM, Morch said:

No, I was not suggesting that "everything is fine", but offering some perspective may be in order. I don't know which other countries you're on about - did I actually name specific ones? Obviously people living under the rule of dictators cannot generally be said to be "happy and content". But it does not mean that all regimes are similarly oppressive, restrictive or dictatorial - there's a variety. And as such things go, the Thai version isn't quite up there at the top, that's all.

I don't know which direction Thailand is/was heading under current management, and I'm very suspicious that it would ultimately be very different under the new proposed management.

As for most of your PRC related comments - you're barking up the wrong tree. Consult my posting history if you're unclear about that.

I dont know anything about your "posting history" but i can tell you that life in Thailand today, and its future is nothing like it was 12-15 years ago. Back then everything was going so well.

9 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

I dont know anything about your "posting history" but i can tell you that life in Thailand today, and its future is nothing like it was 12-15 years ago. Back then everything was going so well.

I know you don't know anything about my posting history, that's the reason I pointed it out. Barking up the wrong tree with your PRC related comments.

I was here before that, and during this time. I don't think things were that rosy back then, or that they are great today either. Guess people can have different takes on this. Probably got something to do where one lives etc. as well.

1 minute ago, Huckenfell said:

Well said sir. He has shown his true colours.

About as insightful, and meaningful, as the post you replied to. For people who claim to support democracy, you show relative little allowance for views different than your own.

On 9/20/2020 at 7:48 PM, engamann said:

But but but Cha Cha say Thailand no have any covid19 so how is it possible that it would be a spike in covid19 ? But i guess now it would be a good timing for Cha Cha to come up whit some real numbers of the covid19 , then him can blame the student but then again how will that be possible since Thailand no have covid19 , then your hero Cha Cha will be a liaer then !!!! ( ps. funny how so many people leave Thailand and turn out to have the covid19 when them got testet on arrival at there next destination , do that mean your hero Cha Cha is a liar Steven ?? ) 

Please show us the figures and countries where people arrived Covid positive' after flying from Thailand.   If you can

• Like 1