You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Turns out, 30 day extension is nooot really a "30-day" extension

So this "30-day" extension they've promised is not so simple.

At CW today I was given a tourist visa extension not for 30 days, but only through Oct. 21—at which time I'd have to return to get a stamp for the final week. Supposedly no paperwork or additional payments needed. I did present my embassy letter, so paperwork wasn't an issue.

No one mentioned anything throughout the application process, and it was only after looking at my passport stamp that I saw I was only provided three weeks' extension.

I and a few other people were arguing the reasoning, but the immigration officials were not budging at all saying this is the case for everyone.

Does this hint at some future visa option, or is this just another nonsensical, short-sighted decision by immigration officials?

54 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They have been issuing a under consideration stamp for every special 30 day extension since March when they first issued them.

The extension has to approved at the division level of immigration.

Hm, interesting. I would have thought that

1) Muang Thong Thani/Cheangwattana is the main immigration office for all of Thailand and so top decision-makers would be there already, and

2) what else is there to approve? Is there additional information available to higher-ups that the front-line officers sitting behind computers attached to the internet don't have access to? And also,

3) What's difference between three weeks and four from their perspective?

I'm not questioning you ubonjoe, I'm more thinking outloud.

16 minutes ago, allencraig said:

1) Muang Thong Thani/Cheangwattana is the main immigration office for all of Thailand and so top decision-makers would be there already, and

2) what else is there to approve? Is there additional information available to higher-ups that the front-line officers sitting behind computers attached to the internet don't have access to? And also,

3) What's difference between three weeks and four from their perspective?

1. The main office is the Immigration Bureau that located at Soi Suan Phlu.

Chaeng Wattana is under Division 1 of immigration that is under the immigration Bureau.

2. Division 1 will just check that all the required documents and approve it. It is just a double check.

3. The report back date is just a estimate of how long it will take for approval plus a little for delays. It might be approved sooner and you could check with immigration to find out if it was ready.

• Thanks 1

Please check again - it is not only 3 weeks! If you want it longer you have to come on the last possible day of the amnesty like probably thousand others... On the other hand we are talking about a few days longer. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Oldie said:

If you want it longer you have to come on the last possible day of the amnesty like probably thousand others... On the other hand we are talking about a few days longer. 

I dont think so, theres a big notice on the immi saying all extensions will start from 27th oct. I'm fully expecting to go back and be given the "extra" days until 26th Oct

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldie said:

Please check again - it is not only 3 weeks! If you want it longer you have to come on the last possible day of the amnesty like probably thousand others... On the other hand we are talking about a few days longer. 

This is incorrect. The extensions start on the 27th—the day after amnesty ends—and will run until the October 27th. Only I and others have to make two trips for the full one-month extension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Chaeng Wattana is under Division 1 of immigration that is under the immigration Bureau.

2. Division 1 will just check that all the required documents and approve it. It is just a double check.

3. The report back date is just a estimate of how long it will take for approval plus a little for delays. It might be approved sooner and you could check with immigration to find out if it was ready.

Ah, interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

On April 3 this year I received a "under consideration" stamp at Muang Thong Thani too. But that ran to May 1st—just two days short of a full month so I considered it essentially a full month. That was just before amnesty.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

How does one check this?  Call 1178? Or...?

We went to Samut Prakan (Pak Nam) immigration today. We both got "under consideration" stamps that say to come back on October 14th for the "final" extension stamp. I asked if I can come back sooner, and they said to only come back on the 14th unless there is another official announcement.

So all told, my current "extension" is good for just shy of 3 weeks. For good measure, I will likely be going back with a new embassy letter for October, just to stay "officially" covered somewhat.

Edited by WhateverDude
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, WhateverDude said:

We went to Samut Prakan (Pak Nam) immigration today. We both got "under consideration" stamps that say to come back on October 14th for the "final" extension stamp. I asked if I can come back sooner, and they said to only come back on the 14th unless there is another official announcement.

So all told, my current "extension" is good for just shy of 3 weeks. For good measure, I will likely be going back with a new embassy letter for October, just to stay "officially" covered somewhat.

A little off topic, but can anyone living in bkk go to Samut Prakan immigration office? It would so much easier for me transportation-wise.

2 hours ago, Adam219 said:

I dont think so, theres a big notice on the immi saying all extensions will start from 27th oct. I'm fully expecting to go back and be given the "extra" days until 26th Oct

My guess is they spread the under consideration date over several days. Some have gotten 2 weeks and some 2,5 weeks. 

22 minutes ago, allencraig said:

A little off topic, but can anyone living in bkk go to Samut Prakan immigration office?

Trust me, you wouldn't want to.

I know people who went to CW, had their documents barely looked it, and got stamped. In SP they nit picked everything, sending many of us home to redo documents to bring back tomorrow. Ridiculous things on documents that had previously been approved for my address change and 90 day.

Be warned, they also shut down the queue tickets before lunch time. If you didn't get there in the morning, you're not getting in.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
  • Like 1

For those of us in this situation, what is the expectation when returning on 21 October?

No TM7, just appointment and go with passport?

This follow-up date is just to stamp the approval?

My real question is this: What then?

If approved, then I have 5 days (until 26 October) to make another appointment for extension? Could I extend again that day?

Just seems like a gamble whether it's approved or not. 

I very much insisted the two individuals returning the passports tell me, but all they would offer in response was "you have to return this day."

11 minutes ago, ratchetcrank said:

For those of us in this situation, what is the expectation when returning on 21 October?

No TM7, just appointment and go with passport?

This follow-up date is just to stamp the approval?

My real question is this: What then?

If approved, then I have 5 days (until 26 October) to make another appointment for extension? Could I extend again that day?

Just seems like a gamble whether it's approved or not. 

I very much insisted the two individuals returning the passports tell me, but all they would offer in response was "you have to return this day."

I agree if approved you’ve only got 5 days left anyway ( and by that point you should already know if your leaving Thailand or getting another covid extension from your embassy etc.. ) just a pointless extra trip for a 30 day extension and they are wondering why their office is so full.

3 minutes ago, Jackcwba said:

I’ve seen conflicting reports that the extension date starts from the 27th September and then people saying it starts from the day you apply... which is it....

Seems to depend on which Immigration office you go to. Officially, it's the 27th.  

Seems like the biggest implication is that you'll never have a passport with 15 days left on your permission to stay. 

Which rules out some of the options to apply for a longer extension.  Unless you go the agent route.  And even then...

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jackcwba said:

I agree if approved you’ve only got 5 days left anyway ( and by that point you should already know if your leaving Thailand or getting another covid extension from your embassy etc.. ) just a pointless extra trip for a 30 day extension and they are wondering why their office is so full.

I appreciate the 3 weeks now, but I am conflicted about those 5 days.

And worse they just said to make an appointment, which sounds like another wait.

Although today, showing up at 0830, I was out at 1030. I consider that a victory.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jvs said:

As a matter of interest ,what would happen if you are under consideration and it is not approved?

Would you be on overstay?

In general they would give you 7 days extension (which is normally approved - I don't know of anyone that had it rejected), in which time you need to leave the country. So no, you would not be on overstay.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Jackcwba said:

I’ve seen conflicting reports that the extension date starts from the 27th September and then people saying it starts from the day you apply... which is it....

Depends on your immigration office, some are doing it correctly (starting from 27th), others are doing it wrong (starting from the day you apply)