Visa amnesty expected to be extended to 31 October

webfact

31 minutes ago, leeedwards said:

when I’ve had a perfectly legal and problem free visa up to now, and just because of the lack of foresight of the stupid authorities. Thanks for the empathy and understanding. 

Are you trying to tell us that you were unaware that each entry only allowed you to remain for 90 days?

The ME visa method was not without risk and those of us that used the ME visa must accept that risk rather than trying to blame others. The travel restrictions manifested a risk that none of us would have contemplated, but that is life and only you can deal with it.

I was an RAF apprentice when Rhodesia declared UDI in 1964. The Rhodesian apprentices were immediately deported, passports became invalid overnight. You should be thankful the government has exercised some leniency.

Before you get on the high horse, I was on ME visa, last entry from Malaysia on 6th Feb. You really ought to reflect on where the lack of foresight lies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

I was told that amnesty is only possible under state of emergency. Funny how foreigners bash state of emergency unaware that's the only thing keeping many of them in the country...

Everybody - incorrectly - uses the term 'amnesty' as short-speak for what is actually an automatic extension of the permission to stay

Afaik such automatic extension is not dependent on or related to the state of emergency.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Silly lot of rot they go on with.  Why the he11 didn't they extends it a week ago.  These clowns in government are annoying so many people with their silliness. 

They don't care that they are annoying foreigners. That's the only job they do well!

• Like 2

Still brain dead.  No sign of brain activity at all.  Just extend it once for 2 years and be done with it already.  Stop pretending you are doing any work each month.  Be happy anyone is here spending money and try to keep them.  This is not brain surgery and thank goodness as there are no brains to do surgery on.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

i still find it incredible that there are supposedly 100,000 plus people who can come on holidays, or to visit family, in April and still be here in October, no job or family they need to return to, fantastic passive incomes from their online businesses.

If peoples circumstances are such that a 6 month unexpected extension to travel plans is no big deal, why haven't they moved to Thailand years ago.

Some people like long "holidays"! And can't chance the location.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fat George said:

If it's true, then the Thai immigration dept. have really shot themselves in the foot with this latest U turn. From now on, you can be sure that many people on the visa amnesty will choose to just ignore their empty threats of overstay fines etc. and stay here anyway. 

When you set a deadline ( as they did on 26th Sep, for either extensions or exit ) then you have to enforce it. Or you lose face and are in a much weaker position. For those who left ( prematurely it seems ) this situation must be even more frustrating. 

I agree and it's clear that (once again) it wasn't thought through. If you've got tens of thousands in a mad rush, then you either need to have the capacity to process them, the jail cells to throw them in, and a PR machine that's good enough to handle the backlash that's sure to follow.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

It isn't the "help" from foreigners that has caused this....tey simply realise it can't happen on time.....so many decisions in Thailand are by "dictum' with no regard for reasoning or implementation.

The foreigners in Thailand present little income to the government but also little threat - they certainly don't present a covid threat.......if they start needing healthcare, then they are a threat.....but 150 as a percentage of 70 million is pretty small.

Have you actually done the reserch to empirically support your statement that foreigners “present little income to the government”?  Can you also say that foreigners present little income to Thailand?  If either is yes, please share that supporting data.  I have many people who are anxious to see the evidence so they can make significant changes to their economic modeling systems.  Thank you and we will take No Adequate response with data as you are as your name insists.  Thank you for this opportunity.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How can you extend something that has already expired? The amnesty already expired on Saturday. The correct term surely is that they are (allegedly at this time) introducing a new amnesty from what I assume will be Monday, the 28th. So those who didn't leave when the amnesty expired will have been on one days overstay. Maybe if they now go for the new amnesty they'll be fined 500 baht for that. I have little doubt that some IOs will try it on.

Just make it retroactive like the original amnesty. Announced in April but dated for March 26th. But I can see IOs trying to pull this off as well. LOL

Edited by Benitostacos

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How can you extend something that has already expired? The amnesty already expired on Saturday. The correct term surely is that they are (allegedly at this time) introducing a new amnesty from what I assume will be Monday, the 28th. So those who didn't leave when the amnesty expired will have been on one days overstay. Maybe if they now go for the new amnesty they'll be fined 500 baht for that. I have little doubt that some IOs will try it on.

Meanwhile, I like many others went down the 60-day extension route, and when I asked what would happen at the end of that I was told that I had to leave Thailand. I've been here 25 years or so, have a wife, a house, a car and family, but have to get out of the country unless I brought 400,000 baht into the country. Which I hurriedly did because it needs to be there for 60 days, even though I had preferred to keep my money in the UK instead.

1 day overstay doesn't get 500 baht fine. I only know because I had a technical overstay- was at airport for late flight which made me like 1 hour past my visa.

5 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

For now everybody who did nothing is on overstay until there is an official announcement.

I read this as YES.  However, make 100% and verify your expectation.  Don’t forget that 90 Day reporting is a Completely separate issue to deal with.