Visa amnesty expected to be extended to 31 October

webfact

46 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

If the Government not the IO came out and said on say the 1st of September in big headlines THERE WILL BE NO MORE AMNESSY AFTER 26SEPT. than none of this would have happen. Now give the tourist back their 1900 baht which is not yours as you can't have it both ways.

Sorry you'll have to wait at the back of the line for refunds.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, happyaussie said:

Does this mean by following the rules and paying my 1900 baht extension was a waste of time. Or will that paid extension roll over, commencing 01 November? 

I'll say again...what about me and my yearly extension I did in March...will I and all the other expats be compensated...If you have had 6 months free already be pleased about that, it's just the way the dice rolls.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Officials had warned that overstay penalties would be applied to anyone who did not extend their visa or leave the country by 26 September. 

If there are so many, they may come up with a queue system that only allows booking a slot at least a few days later, and with 500 baht per day, and this not published by Wednesday at the earliest, there would already be a minimum 5 days (2500 baht) overstay penalty for anyone who hasn't extended by 26 September.

Also if anyone gets stopped before Wednesday and passport checked, since amnesty is not yet in place again, that person could still be detained in IDC and deported.

I think it's time for Thailand to increase overstay fines to 20,000 baht per day and scrap the maximum fine limit. Nobody takes that "You must leave by" stamp seriously. Has anyone tried to overstay like this in a Western country? Or just go to border and back for another month? How did that go?

Edited by tomazbodner
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, baansgr said:

If they charge 1,900 Baht, I don't see how anyone has lost out. For those whingers, what about all of us that did our extensions in March and have religiously done 90 day reports...I don't feel I am worse or better off as it's what is required normally.

Yep, seems like they intentionally did it this way to get as much $ in by the 26th.

I went onto a retirement extension, and don't really regret it as it's done now. As they say, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

Um, not fair. I had to move money around, stuff around with a gazillion documents from many different agencies, waste so much time and money and now they do this? I should have just sat on my ass and done nothing!

But nobody knew, so I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. I did a similar thing.

3 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

These clowns in government are annoying so many people with their silliness. 

They're just giving time to get the embassy letters submitted. They still want us out. 

The tourists basically forced their hand by refusing to go home or getting the extension in a timely manner. I wonder if they'll be retribution from the government?

Fingers crossed this happens for everyone who is facing difficulty. I myself am waiting to change to a great new job I've been offered. Trouble is, its no longer a teaching job and the company is registered in another province. So Its extremely difficult - if not impossible to navigate the complexity. Ive contacted 10-15 visa agencies about it but none will take up this seemingly impossible task. I don't really have an easy option to switch. So having this amnesty eases some of the anxiety! 

• Like 2

Must aggravate those that thought "this time they're serious" and returned home plus those that forked out ten's of thousand's of baht for dodgy health, volunteer visas etc. Coming up to 09:30 and not aware of any official announcement yet. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Last week, immigration said 150,000 foreigners were staying in Thailand under the visa amnesty. 

Better start building more Immigration Detention Centers to house the new class of "bad guys."  :dry:

4 minutes ago, Guderian said:

So the amnesty ended on Saturday, and now they're going to restart it on Monday. It's a good job these bozos have never fought a war!

Thinking about it, the extended amnesty won’t be valid until the Cabinet approves it (unless they hold a special meeting will be Tuesday) & I believe it doesn’t become law until it’s published in the Royal Gazette on Friday.

So anybody who’s currently on overstay might want to keep their heads down for a few days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, watso63 said:

Must aggravate those that thought "this time they're serious" and returned home plus those that forked out ten's of thousand's of baht for dodgy health, volunteer visas etc. Coming up to 09:30 and not aware of any official announcement yet. 

9:30? They still have two and a half hours to decide what to say. Probably still have no idea.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

Um, not fair. I had to move money around, stuff around with a gazillion documents from many different agencies, waste so much time and money and now they do this? I should have just sat on my ass and done nothing!

True Sarcasm at its finest.

3 minutes ago, watso63 said:

Must aggravate those that thought "this time they're serious" and returned home

That's me but I'm not terribly upset because it's just another 1 month anyways. The fact remains, they want us to leave. We're living on borrowed time here at the moment. 

They've had literally months to make a new visa for the COVID situation, but they haven't. There's no reason to think they're going to suddenly do this now.

• Like 1