Visa amnesty expected to be extended to 31 October

webfact

42 minutes ago, Benitostacos said:
45 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

This.

The amount of foreigners may be a drop in the bucket compared with migrant labour. My observations over three visits to Udon Thani immigration on three separate days last week was a sum total of only half a dozen farangs.

Yup same with KK immigration. 99 percent of people in the packed office were from Laos and Vietnam.

Same with Kalasin. Mostly Lao, as always there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Odisan said:

There seems to be a lot of that, these days...

Pre-social media, you could get away with a helluva lot of ineptitude; now... It's not only farcical on an almost daily basis, but also plain for everyone to see.

We get that they're going to be swamped, but if you can only process 20 renewals an hour and 5,000 people need to renew, and there's just 48-hours to go... it ain't difficult!

The week before they were reported to be a ghost town. Don't blame TI, blame the last minute entitled idiots.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

At 12pm on Monday, Thailand’s Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) will hold an English language media briefing where extension may be announced.

You can watch live on their facebook page - Live NBT2HD

covid.png

Edited by Wilsonandson
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

i still find it incredible that there are supposedly 100,000 plus people who can come on holidays, or to visit family, in April and still be here in October, no job or family they need to return to, fantastic passive incomes from their online businesses.

If peoples circumstances are such that a 6 month unexpected extension to travel plans is no big deal, why haven't they moved to Thailand years ago.

As others have pointed out there are many workers from neighbouring countries still in Thailand. Assume they are included in the estimate.

9 minutes ago, barsie said:

Anyone have a clue if I have what's called a family visa which I can't find what it means if it can be changed to Marriage visa? Obviously difficult to get None-O visa while travel issues?

You should post a picture of both the Visa sticker (with personal data hidden) as well as the last permission to stay stamp you received when entering Thailand or provided by your local IO when you applied for an extension of stay there.

Also some details like nationality, age, whether married to a Thai national or Thai dependent children, pension-receiver, local IO, would be useful to provide a meaningful answer to any query you have.

Note: A 'family Visa' can refer to a Non Imm O Visa for 'family' reasons (e.g. married to a Thai national, Thai dependent children, other family ties).  Often the word Visa is used when it is actually an extension of stay (e.g. a 60-day extension of stay, or a 1-year extension of stay).

The difference Visa/extension as well as the 'reason' for it (marriage, Thai dependent children, etc,...) is important because the requirements/conditions are different for each of those options.

13 minutes ago, Bim Smith said:

Why so many left it until the last minute is unbelievable. Why not give them them who bothered to get an embassy letter and stamped in until 26th October and automatic extension of 90 days until the borders open. 

Why is not question what you ask here! And thinking is banned!

Certainly they not make new law's to give something extra to those who line up in IO earlier!

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

You should post a picture of both the Visa sticker (with personal data hidden) as well as the last permission to stay stamp you received when entering Thailand or provided by your local IO when you applied for an extension of stay there.

Also some details like nationality, age, whether married to a Thai national or Thai dependent children, pension-receiver, local IO, would be useful to provide a meaningful answer to any query you have.

Note: A 'family Visa' can refer to a Non Imm O Visa for 'family' reasons (e.g. married to a Thai national, Thai dependent children, other family ties).  Often the word Visa is used when it is actually an extension of stay (e.g. a 60-day extension of stay, or a 1-year extension of stay).

The difference Visa/extension as well as the 'reason' for it (marriage, Thai dependent children, etc,...) is important because the requirements/conditions are different for each of those options.

My dependent extension is up in a couple of weeks. Do I not need to renew it until the end of October? Quite important as I am hoping to be a Thai citizen next month, so could save the hassle of getting a new visa if I could wait until the end of the month.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I still dont get it, if someone has the means and desire to stay in Thailand long term, why do it via the amnesty ?

dude it's 15k USD for the Elite which under 50's need. That's a lot of money for some of us. Not even sure if that's an option without leaving the country first.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That's because you don't know me at all. I until recently flew in and out several times a year for my work. More recently, I've liked to go to Singapore or KL for a day or two, and other times I pop over to Laos to do a bit of shopping for things I have trouble finding in Thailand. The border is less than two hours from my home.

As I said, I preferred to keep my money in the UK and make transfers when needed, rather than deposit 400,000 that I didn't need to do, except that the government demanded it. Not only demanded it, but then required me to report to them every 90 days as if I was on probation. My choice. If that's okay with you.

If you have children, you don't need to keep the cash in the bank for 2 months.

30 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:
44 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

.. I brought 400,000 baht into the country. Which I hurriedly did because it needs to be there for 60 days, even though I had preferred to keep my money in the UK instead.

I hope you didn't cut it too close, because the 400K needs to be seasoned for at least two months (which is more than 60 days), and it's wise not to apply on the very last day, in case there are some missing documents or IO wants additional evidence.

I checked with the IO and she helpfully worked out the date it had to be there by. After she had told me, with a straight face, that my alternative was to go to Laos, spend 15 days in quarantine there and then return to 14 days quarantine in Thailand.

It's a quiet office and not far from a couple of supermarkets I go to, so on a shopping trip in the next month or so I'll pop in to check exactly what documents they want from me. I already have a list from a previous thread on here, but we all know that doesn't really mean anything.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

1. Allow all "Long term" Visa's to forego any 90 day report and renew their NON O's etc. as long as they can prove the 800K in a Thai Bank two months prior to renew as usual.

2. Order "Tourist" Visa holder to leave the country unless they can deposit the 800K in a Thai bank.

Hmm, why 800,000? Why not 657,000, or 725,000? Why has the government chosen 400,000/800,000 (apart from doubling what it used to be)? Why not a round million? It's a figure that has no bearing at all on anything anyway. I don't need to keep 400,000, except because the government says I must. I have no practical reason to do so.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Still brain dead.  No sign of brain activity at all.  Just extend it once for 2 years and be done with it already.  Stop pretending you are doing any work each month.  Be happy anyone is here spending money and try to keep them.  This is not brain surgery and thank goodness as there are no brains to do surgery on.  

Or stop extending and arrest/deport everyone on overstay? With attitude like this towards this country, nobody will miss you here.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, genericptr said:

dude it's 15k USD for the Elite which under 50's need. That's a lot of money for some of us. Not even sure if that's an option without leaving the country first.

Do you honestly think  that the  elite visa is the only option for under 50's ? 

Too late for me. I extended my stay for 60days based on marriage, and am going through the hoops to get a 90 day Non O so my wife can finish some training in preparation to leave the country at the end of the year. Now this farce of a development that makes sure those who extended their stay in a timely fashion are penalized. Maybe in Thailand it pays to wait until the last minute.

• Like 1